PDA

View Full Version : Video heads

davo453
21st April 2004, 01:50 PM
I thought this was a good idea

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-vid_hd.htm

As he says remounting work in a chuck rarley seems to line up properly.

Cheers

Dave

Kev Y.
21st April 2004, 02:58 PM
davo453, I saw an article on this very thing about 18 months ago in the australian woodworker mag.

Since then I have used this method several times and found it does work extremly well.

my only problem now is finding a source of video heads!

davo453
21st April 2004, 04:26 PM
Ah yes a potential problem, I went to a local tip/recyling centre and found a skip full of dead tv's and video's a bit of brut force quickly extracted 2.

The guy at the yard who usualy charges something for every thing just looked puzzled when I showed him and said "can't charge for that" :)

Haven't tried them out yet though.

Cheers

Dave

woodbee
21st April 2004, 05:33 PM
Enlighten me,
You want to glue a work piece on a faceplate using only glue?
If you trust glue enough, why not just keep a faceplate with some plywood on it as a glueing surface?
You guys turn wood, would it be so far fetched that someone out there could turn a metal piece for you...
You want a chuck that's good for you? metal turn's and is shaped the same way, (without the manual feel with the work.)
Use a pulley screwed onto a piece of plywwod, then glue whathever onto that.
Pulleys are balanced and true, design your chuck to accept pulleys
Then I see no problem.
Denis

davo453
21st April 2004, 06:05 PM
Ah yes well not all of us have access to a metal lathe, If it's out there why not use it, cost of machining a small piece of aluminium would be greater too.

Plywood is fine but it suffers every time you unglue the work.

Part of the fun (for me at least) is to find oddball ways of doing things, If i earned my living this way I wouldn't mess about so much or for that matter enjoy woodworking as a hobby.

Obviously we all know that there are lots of ways of doing this.

Dave

GC
23rd April 2004, 11:23 PM
best source is local council hard rubbish pick up days.

I got 3 videos in 5 minutes, pulled them apart, took the heads and put them back on the lawn for collection.

gc

soundman
24th April 2004, 10:39 PM
your local TV & video reparer will probably have several in his bin on any given day.