PDA

View Full Version : hanging gates

oldfella
22nd April 2004, 12:47 AM
can anyone help me

i have to hang a pair of gates in my driveway. they are heavey jarrah gates. 1.5 h x 1.4 w each
i have h/duty hinges which i will bolt to the gates.

than weld the hinge to a 50mmx50mm steel tube which i will bolt to the brick wall using dyna bolts

i have been told to put the dynabolts in to the cement between the bricks.

not into the bricks which i would have done

the gates are 300mm from a corner. on the house

the other side is a brick post

i need to get it right the first time

thanks in advance

ps i have read the thread by coops
so dont give me a ear bashing

Kev Y.
22nd April 2004, 10:38 AM
oldfella first off welcome aboard,

as for hanging these gates of yours, go with the idea of placing the dyna-bolts BETWEEN the bricks. you will get a more secure purchase this way.

Depending on the design of the bricks, you could be securing into a hollow space.

One other way of overcoming the problem is to bolt a piece of timber down the wall then secure your gate hinges to this.

Kev

journeyman Mick
22nd April 2004, 11:42 AM
Oldfella
I'd be fixing a timber jamb to each side of the brickwork. If the bricks have hollows in them or you are unsure about their strength then use a chemical anchor system. If you use an injection system with sleeves it will overcome any problems with voids in the bricks. Don't fix to the mortar joints unless you know for certain that it was a strong mix and that the bricky actually filled all the perps. (perpendicular joints, they often don't)

Mick

mikeyp
22nd April 2004, 03:54 PM
I intend to make and hang similar gates for my driveway.

Our original gates (as we purchased the house, just pipe frame with colourbond) were on a timber jamb bolted with two 20mm dynabolts. Both bolts were in the brick, both ended up working the two bricks (a half brick and a full brick) out of their mortar (note: poor mortar job for all sides!)

If you were going to do it this way, I would use at least four (not 20mm dynabolts either!), having more near the top than the bottom (not equally spaced.)

Personally, I decided to dig two holes (foundation edge is nice and straight so I could get up real close) and put in two 100mm x 100mm square tubing 600mm deep. I intend to hang the gates off these and clad the posts with some jarrah to make them look solid.

Now I just need to finish off other projects before I get around to the gates :) The posts were put in just before we did lots of paving and a back hoe was at hand (You think I dug the hole against the house by hand?! no way!)

Regards,
Mike

bitingmidge
22nd April 2004, 07:26 PM
You should have no problems with the brickwork on the house particularly being so close to a corner, however if the gates are quite heavy, the brick column may not do the trick, particularly if it is only one brick square.

We have just thrown away a few columns one-and-a-half bricks square after they cracked at ground level and became free standing objects!

If you know how it has been built, and there is reinforcing in the centre running vertically AND connected to the footing, you should be OK.

If not, consider a steel or timber post fixed to the brick one, but supported in it's own footing.

Cheers,

P (In a particularly cautious frame of mind!)

soundman
24th April 2004, 10:03 PM
never underestimate the strees gates put on a structure.

Unless the brick collums were reinforced and very well bonded to a good foundation seriously re think your mountings.

Estimation of the forces.
take the weight of your gate, halve it then hang that on the end of a beam the length of the gate.
from there calculate the forces on the to mounting & the structure.
the forces are substantial.

more gates sag than don't.