PDA

View Full Version : jointer and table saw?????

Alex
22nd April 2004, 01:36 AM
Dear friends

Some years ago I have had in my shed in Bosnia a second hand in immpecable condition a jointer manufactured by German company "Messerschmidt" (even in that time a thing was rare) 350 mm width and served me preety well even surpassing my needs as I was and still am a just hobist woodworker. War has gone and my jointer as well. So, now here on this side of the world I need another one of course not as big as my "old good friend". Checking around I think nothing else could be affordable but "Hare and Forbes" P150 or "Carbatec" CTJ-196. I don't have any chances to try any of them so your experiences would be appreciated.

Another thing is noise of the Carbatec 10" table saw with 1,5HP induction motor. As the matter of fact I've got a table saw which is screeming and yelling (brush type) Ryobi and 5 streets around know when I cut a wood. So how quite (or if you like how noisy) is that saw. Again no chance to try.

All the coments - beforehand grateful

silentC
22nd April 2004, 09:50 AM
Alex,

I have a P150. Here is a review I did of it: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6582&highlight=p150

I'm still happy with it. An 8" jointer would have been nice but I couldn't afford one.

Cheers

zymurgy
22nd April 2004, 10:50 AM
Alex,

I have the longer bed model CTJ-150. I paid $790.00.

Nice solid unit. 3 head cutter. Positive stops at -45, 90 and 45 degrees. Solid cast beds and fence (heavy mother).

Unit comes in two boxes, base (with motor) and jointer asm in another. Not much to put together (guard, fence etc).

Instructions poor, but one copes.

Machine is quiet, cuts like a dream and accurate.

Gordon.

Dean
22nd April 2004, 01:54 PM
I have the CTJ-196.
Very happy with it so far. Little or no vibration, very solid, gives smooth, accurate results. Dust chute and 100mm connection catches almost all dust/chips etc.
Manual a little dodgy, but I downloaded a Delta manual for their comparable product which is much better and clearer. Im fairly certain Delta pull their machines from the same factory.