PDA

View Full Version : camellia

wombat47
22nd April 2004, 09:53 AM
I have kept a piece of the stump of an old camellia which was in the path of a new sewer line. It's been down two to three years now. There is no cracking in the stump and it should be fairly dry now.

I don't know any wood turners but I do know that Japanese and Chinese craftsmen used the hard wood for bowls, combs, statues, walking sticks, etc.

Is anyone interested in it for cost of freight and perhaps a little lidded bowl?

Tankstand
23rd April 2004, 10:41 PM
Howdy,
I would be interested if I knew your location. (I.E. I'm a cheap sod)
:D

wombat47
24th April 2004, 08:21 AM
Canberra region

Tankstand
24th April 2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mate, But I'll pass.

Dave52
31st May 2005, 04:50 PM
G'day wombat47

I'm a Canberra boy.
I could pick it up if you want to get rid of it.

Dave52

La truciolara
6th June 2005, 04:42 AM
Is anyone interested in it for cost of freight and perhaps a little lidded bowl?I would love it... but I am In Italy (Europe):(

Dave52
16th September 2005, 04:35 PM
G'day all

I have finally got around to let you know the results of my Camelia turning.

Incidentally when I picked it up from Wombat47, it turns out that I have known him for many years, a good oportunity to catch up, Yet another example of a good reason to be part of this forum.

I have made about 8 things from that one small stump of Camelia. It was about 2 feet long with three tight branches coming from the base.
I have made:-
Wombat 47's little lidded box
Lamp shade for daughter
small bowl that was supposed to be a potopuri bowl until I cut the hole too big
a potpouri bowl from the crotch.
and several 'hot bowl mats' or as I have just been told trivets. (if they can be counted)

Another of my daughters has been able to photograh some of these things and I will get her to add them to this

Dave52

John Elliott
19th September 2005, 07:52 PM
Dave52,

congratulations, that Camellia sure is pretty. Salvaged timber is often the best.

John Elliott