PDA

View Full Version : Toy Horse

Chipman
22nd November 2008, 08:12 AM
I was playing around with some bits and pieces and came up with this little horse!

The finish is water-based dyes and white shellac. My first attempt at this finish. I normally use paint, but for little kids who might suck/chew it, this is supposed to be a safer finish. I hope I can get the finish better in the future but waxy pine doesn't take any stain too well.

Cheers,

Chipman

RufflyRustic
22nd November 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Chipman! Nice work! A very sweet and tiny horse :):2tsup: If the pine is that waxy, try a couple of light coats of white shellac on it first, then the water dye, then the shellac again - and of course, try it on a test piece. This may help with any blotchiness that can happen.

cheers
Wendy

Ianab
22nd November 2008, 02:44 PM
Cool :cool:

A Pocket Rocking horse :D

Ian

keju
26th November 2008, 07:56 PM
very cute..... but..... of course there's a "but" lol
A horse that small is not something you'd want to hand to a little kid who is still chewing on everything...... it's too small..... choking hazzard ( you'd be suprised what they can shove into their mouth!)
Rule of thumb used to be... if it fits into the cardboard inside of a toiletpaper roll it's too small...
Also..... to make really sure no pieces brake off... I'd put a dowel through the rockers/legs.

You could just make one a bit bigger .... for the real small guys? make a tree ornaments out of the mini one with the year painted on it.... nice to have a matching ornament the year you give the bigger one as a toy! :)

Juvy

Chipman
27th November 2008, 11:10 AM
very cute..... but..... of course there's a "but" lol
A horse that small is not something you'd want to hand to a little kid who is still chewing on everything...... it's too small..... choking hazzard ( you'd be suprised what they can shove into their mouth!)
Rule of thumb used to be... if it fits into the cardboard inside of a toiletpaper roll it's too small...
Also..... to make really sure no pieces brake off... I'd put a dowel through the rockers/legs.

You could just make one a bit bigger .... for the real small guys? make a tree ornaments out of the mini one with the year painted on it.... nice to have a matching ornament the year you give the bigger one as a toy! :)

Juvy

Thought about all that already!

It will not go inside a toilet roll and the rockers are dowelled onto the body...I am a bit of a dowelling freak!!!!! The ears are defined by the smallest of "V"'s so there is nothing to break of there either.
Both the width and the height is greater than the good old toilet roll....it is 60mm wide at the bottom across the rockers and about 70mm high and about 90mm long. It is made from 20mm thick pine.

As I have the drawing on the computer, it is a very easy thing to scale it up or down....I have a larger one underway at the moment.

Cheers,
Chipman

keju
27th November 2008, 07:25 PM
sounds like you're way ahead of me.... :)
I've "discovered" doweling a couple of years ago.... necessity.... it's somethign I can easily do without Ken's help. amazing the things that can be doweled! lol

Juvy