PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe.

robutacion
20th November 2008, 02:47 PM
George and Frank - what an offer...:wave:

Bar or beer, I'm very happy to go either way so long as everyone is happy. I don't have enough expertise to comment on the merits of the 12mm vs 16mm SS bar for George's 17mm inserts, so just let me know if it's bar or beer (or both :) ).

George - no need to turn a handle for me, that's something I can do!

Sorry I can't offer my current shed for the next Adelaide shed meet, had to move my current lathe out last night to fit in my new lathe... just not enough room for two lathes let alone a half dozen extra bodies, BUT when I finally get my new shed I'll be throwing a shed warming and you will all be invited.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Did you say, NEW LATHE?
Could you please, "expand" the subject a little more and provide some pics, maybe on its own thread?:roll: just to keep things uncomplicated...!:o:D

Cheers
RBTCO

RETIRED
22nd November 2008, 04:18 PM
Moved as per request from NeilS.

NeilS
22nd November 2008, 11:37 PM
Sure Robutacion, I decided some time back to go with the new Woodfast C1000X ( mid-page here (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5)) but had hoped to put the financial pain off for a bit longer, however, the plunging A$ galvanised me into action before the price rise.

I was also watching the development of the new Stubby, which is also a swivel head model, but the likely final cost of that option compared to the pre-price-rise Woodfast swayed me in the direction of the C1000X. No doubt the Stubby will be a more substantial lathe (fabricated steel, etc) but I didn't think I would make sufficient use of its level of build for the extra dollars. Besides, I have been a satisfied Woodfast user now for almost 50 years ... gulp, don't admit that Neil ... correction... for over 40 years :), and couldn't find sufficient reasons to change.

So, that's what I purchased and why.

I'll report back how it goes.

Neil

PS - If there is anyone with, or thinking of getting, an older Woodfast they might like to know why I needed to 'upgrade' if I was satisfied with my old Woodfast. Here's a more detailed explanation which will not be of much interest to others:

I have gradually progressed to doing all my faceplate turning (which I mainly do) outboard, not just the larger items that won't fit inboard. I just find it more comfortable when hollowing deep bowls and hollow forms.
It's worth noting that outboard work before swivel headstocks was all done clockwise on the back of the headstock with a lefthand thread.
That was all OK with standard lefthand faceplates until the newer chucks became available that required an adaptor to fit the lefthand thread.
Technatool initially produced a 30mm x 3.5 lefthand thread adaptor for their Nova chucks but abandoned this either due to low demand or, as suggested to me by someone in the supply chain, due to breakage. There is not much metal left in a 30mm adaptor and apparently a lefthand/righthand thread adaptor has more weaknesses than a righthand/righthand adaptor.
So I have had to get my adaptors especially made which has turned out to be less than totally satisfactory. Main problem has been a very slight axial variation between the inner and outer threads resulting in a noticeable (about 2-3mm) wobble on larger diameter (500mm) pieces when reversed. Not much, but a frustration.
If it weren't for my preference for outboard faceplate turning and this little problem I would be sticking with my old Woodfast which has been and still is an excellent lathe.

NeilS
10th December 2008, 12:08 AM
Now that I have been using the C1000X for a few weeks now I thought I would report how it is going.

Generally it's performing to expectation although I have found a couple of niggles that might be of interest to others.

Began by turning the heaviest lump I had to hand, a 20" piece of ringing wet Cyprus Pine weighing about 34Kg that had only been felled the day before (1st photo). The C1000X didn't blink at that, but then it wasn't exactly tough going.

Mounting the blank on a faceplate threw up the first niggle. The mounted blank came in contact with the head stock locking pin (see 1st photo and pin is clearer in 2nd photo) which had to be leveled off (ie the blank) at a few high points before it could be turned. This wouldn't be an issue if using a chuck and faceplate ring, but not everyone uses this setup. A large faceplate is also more secure on larger blanks than the smaller faceplate rings. I think I can reduce the length of the locking pin by about 1/4", which is not much, so will have to remember that the pin is vulnerable on blanks larger than 19".

The other niggle is the height of the outboard tool post. As can be seen from the 3rd photo, the top of the standard tool rest supplied with the lathe only sits about 1/4" below centre. Yet the inboard toolpost was at a standard height below centre. Must ask Woodfast what their thinking was on this. A simple bar tool rest drops the working height to a more useful height but that's an extra.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the new lathe. It has a nice quiet VS, drive and motor system that accelerates up to full speed in a gentle curve. So far I haven't stalled the lathe (only 1.5HP) despite pushing it a bit with some rapid roughing down with a Ci style rougher, but then I haven't had occasion to tackle something like a fully seasoned desert acacia, which will be more demanding.

OK, that's enough for now.

Neil

robutacion
10th December 2008, 01:03 AM
Nice, very nice Mr.

So, you have been practising with your new toll (SIT) Square Insert Tool?
How's it going?
Does it help?

That new lathe of yours sure can handle some large stuff, huh?
The perfect tool or the perfect machine, hasn't been invented yet so, is only normal that some things aren't right. It sure makes life a lot easier when the solutions are simple.

Keep us posted with some other pieces, as you go!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
10th December 2008, 01:09 AM
Bet that Woodfast still has that "new car smell":2tsup:

artme
10th December 2008, 01:36 AM
Good to see Neil.

Just a question or two:

Have you had to bolt the lathe to the floor or does it have enough mass to stand in one place?

How good is the alignment of the centres?

NeilS
10th December 2008, 04:22 PM
Nice, very nice Mr.

So, you have been practising with your new toll (SIT) Square Insert Tool?
How's it going?
Does it help?
That new lathe of yours sure can handle some large stuff, huh?

Yes George, I've been using the SIT to rougher down some green blanks. It worked just fine and faily well as others have reported.... i.e. quite rapid, but also quite rough ... a rapid-rougher, and what a load of shavings and dust it makes that spread over and into everything, including me. Not having to regularly stop to resharpen is a big plus. I expect I will use the tool quite a bit, especially for green turning and perhaps for those large irregular dirty lumps of wood I sometimes tackle. The dust it broadcasts beyond my DE inlet is going to to be an issue for me on other seasoned woods.

And yes George, this Woodfast can handle up to something like 750mm diam outboard, but I don't often need to go as large as that, otherwise I would have gone with a 2HP lathe.

Neil

NeilS
10th December 2008, 04:26 PM
Bet that Woodfast still has that "new car smell":2tsup:

Yes Ed :), but my car has a very very old car smell....:(

Neil

NeilS
10th December 2008, 04:47 PM
Just a question or two:

Have you had to bolt the lathe to the floor or does it have enough mass to stand in one place?

How good is the alignment of the centres?

Hi Artme - Haven't felt the need to bolt down at this stage, runs without a hint of vibration, but the blanks haven't been all that irregular. Mass is about 300Kg, so should handle most blanks.

Vertical and horizontal alignment was spot on in the crate. Had to adjust for my irregular floor to bring back into horizontal alignment, as you do, once assembled in the workshop.

Neil