PDA

View Full Version : 1st clock project

jatt
22nd November 2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah finally figured out what to do with this piece of timber that's been lying around in the shed now since the Tassie trip of 91. Thanks to the forum, the clock section in particular.

When I started this project a few weeks ago it was a sad & very poorly stored piece of timber. Houn pine I was told when I bought it. Heaps of cracks in it and very roughly cut by whatever saw that was used on it. When it comes to Houn pine I'm told that only fallen timber/tree stumps can be obtained these days, so my guess is it was dead for some time before I purchased it. Was recommened using Locktite "superglue" in the cracks by a bloke from Strahan Woodworks last year. Unfortunately he couldnt find his bottle at the time to give me the exact number they were using down there. Went to my local bearing joint & the closest thing he came up with is 401. A general purpose glue by the sounds. I am by no means a woodworking guru, but it seemed to work for me.

Cut a piece off one side with the circular to reduce the weight and neaten up the appearance of the piece. At some stage the tree must have suffered some fire damage, cause some parts were charred on the edge. Also the weathering around the circumference was pretty bad. Unsure of the best way of tackling that bit, so I carefully used the powerfile to remove the loose charcoal & other flaky bits.

Cranked up the belt sander and hit it with the harshest grit I had on hand to take out the saw marks. Saw the machine at the WWW show "surface grinding" pieces of timber and figured that's the only way I'm gunna get something level enuf to suit my purposes.

Took it to a local furniture manufacturer & he recommended using his sander to achieve the required result. From what I can deduct, I think the way the grain runs influenced his choice. I was a bit out of my depth on this one, so I didnt argue. Said something about the type of sander he had in his shop made it hard to push my piece thru. That's his explanation for the faint raised line u the piece. Recons he used 180 grit. Currently in the process of carefully block sanding the entire piece to remove the line. At this point I dont trust my skills enuf to use any other means.

Because of the thickness of the piece recon I will use a router to recess the clock mechanism in the back.

More to follow..............

jatt
23rd November 2008, 09:46 AM
Tried some "self help" from the forum achives before asking. Didnt spot anything. Trying to avoid asking the same question that many others have previosly.

Would either Minwax or shellac (in its various forms, hard/blond etc..) "eat" or melt the plastic numerals I am going to use on my clock?

Any probs with the adhesive on the back of the numerals sticking to some finishes?

Asking cause at some stage in its life I'm sure one will need to do some restoration work to it, so I'm trying to think ahead, not to mention factor in fixing up the possible stuff ups in my finishing handiwork.:)

:2tsup: Really like the grandfather clocks posted previously. Figured I would start with a simpler clock and see where it takes me.

Probably posted more info than requied cause its still just a block of wood at present. Feel free to pick the eyes out of my methods, because before I joined the forum my timber finishing consisted of using Cabotane on shelving pine and decking stain on TP decking. My sanding skills, well does stripping house paint of various surfaces count?

ravlord13
23rd November 2008, 07:01 PM
G'Day Jatt,
The easiest finish I have found to work on Huon is 1 Coat of Shelac and then 2 to 3 coats of Minwax wipe on poly.
Others will argue and the dispute will rage but I use a lot of Huon and this seens to work for me.
The numbers should stick fine Once the surface is dry.
Don' Forget a pic when its finished.
Catch Ya
Andrew

pugwash
23rd November 2008, 07:38 PM
Jatt, do you really want to stick plastic numbers on such a fine piece of timber?
Maybe ask the forum for alternative suggestions before committing to this course of action.

jatt
23rd November 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks pugwash. You are right. I had better do some more research on this one and ask about alternatives.

Must admit I asked for hands and numerals when purchasing the movement. Picked up brass colored (metal) hands and accepted the plastic brass colored numerals with it. Havent used either yet. Only a few bucks. Will keep for another project. Perhaps I could work on the contrast thing and go for dark colored numerals & hands. All metal of course.

ravlord13 . I must give that idea a go on the offcut I have kept. Figured it would be handy to expreriment on.

Thanks for your help and honesty.

artme
28th November 2008, 12:27 AM
Agree with the Pug. Go for something that stands ou and is as classy as the timber.
Silver inlaid with gold, or vice versa.:D:D:D