http://www.woodturner.org/gallery/future/

Papa
23rd November 2008, 05:13 AM
Talent knows no age. Makes you feel a bit better about the
future of this old world.

My Grand daughter, 8, is an accomplished pilot, dabbles in
aerobatics. I taught Aviation Science at a Jr. Hight School,
some of the kids can humble you very quickly. We had a
kid in a wheel chair that could write books on WW2 aviation.
He was 13.

Thanks for sharing a great find.

artme
23rd November 2008, 07:23 AM
Fabulous Ed and thanx for brining it to our attention.
I am pretty optimistic about the future as is Papa.
Itīs interestin that my trip around the globe has confirmed my faith in the general goodnes of the ordinary people.Now what do we do about the politicians and the ratbags.

hughie
23rd November 2008, 09:14 AM
wow! considering the age and thier eye for shape and form, its amazing. Thanks Ed

new_guy90
23rd November 2008, 11:33 AM
ok i have something different to say. i may not have said but im 16 myself and am astounded what i can do when supervised at the club, still haven't done much good on my own lathe but im getting there, im always very surprised when i hear about kids (my age younger) doing these amazing things and i think i have seen my fair share of the next scientists, sculptors, painters and the like but when your in school and you see the people there it gets depressing, i have doubts about the future because my generation don't care to much about this kind of stuff anymore, and it cant be good. when you see these people who do these amazing things treasure them because its a pity there isn't more people like them, sorry if it was a bit pessimistic .........these guys do great work and give hope for quality woodworking, inspiring and humbling. i really would love to see more latter thanks for sharing

Ed Reiss
24th November 2008, 01:50 PM
NG....I hear what your saying about your peers at school not really showing an interest in the arts and such, but that is human nature at that age...at 16 my interests were playing football, hanging out with my friends, trying to score with Mary Lou, eating burgers and fries and drinking Coke. Woodturning? Forget it! .....and so it is with the majority your age, but every once in a while you get a kid that shines in the arts and actually has the passion and drive to bring their talent to the forefront. So, just go where your heart and mind tell you to....something tells me your goin' to do allright!:2tsup:

tea lady
24th November 2008, 07:16 PM
ok i have something different to say. i may not have said but im 16 myself and am astounded what i can do when supervised at the club, still haven't done much good on my own lathe but im getting there, im always very surprised when i hear about kids (my age younger) doing these amazing things and i think i have seen my fair share of the next scientists, sculptors, painters and the like but when your in school and you see the people there it gets depressing, i have doubts about the future because my generation don't care to much about this kind of stuff anymore, and it cant be good. when you see these people who do these amazing things treasure them because its a pity there isn't more people like them, sorry if it was a bit pessimistic .........these guys do great work and give hope for quality woodworking, inspiring and humbling. i really would love to see more latter thanks for sharing:oo: You're 16? I guess you'll be the new guy for a while then.:rolleyes:

FWIW, I think every generation has had the same problem with seemingly not enough people "into" the arts and valuing hand work. We just have to keep plugging on regardless. :cool: It is good to see real art and creativity though. Makes one believe in the human race again.

Manuka Jock
24th November 2008, 07:46 PM
" I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint "

Hesiod , 8th century BC

nothing new under the sun eh folks :U

new_guy90
24th November 2008, 10:11 PM
i suppose only time will tell

its good to see people learning something and how they go about doing it, wouldn't you agree?

tea lady
24th November 2008, 10:17 PM
i suppose only time will tell

its good to see people learning something and how they go about doing it, wouldn't you agree?:2tsup:

And good to see people of ANY age learning new things. There is way to much emphasis on youth, that's what I reckon.(Says 46 year old girl.:D)

dai sensei
24th November 2008, 10:24 PM
Amazing, looks like there is a lot of talent out there coming up the ranks :2tsup:. Good to see the profession will live on long after us older bugg_rs are feeding the worms :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
25th November 2008, 12:36 AM
Good to see the profession will live on long after us older bugg_rs are feeding the worms :rolleyes:

Neil...your only 51 !!!!! Makin' me feel like one foot should be in the grave already:C:C:C:~:no::no::no:

new_guy90
25th November 2008, 11:20 AM
i suppose in earlier years when people were less educated and the like it was normal for teens and younger to learn trades so theres no reason for the youth of today (ie me) to be able to do these things, but now people are becoming less interested in these trades so when young people do show a genuine interest and talent other people become more interested in what they can do. now in school (well my old school) i can tell you they made bowls that more resembled ash trays! and they did some spindle work, i saw a grade 11 or 12 who had made a small bedside table with turned legs that were obviously out of proportion to each other now no blame on him its just how do you expect someone to copy turn when they haven't been taught? maybe some of the blame goes to the teachers and even more on the misbehaved students who ruin it for the rest but the fact remains that skills are not being passed on and problems not worked at. now not saying anything about anyone or anything, and this was just my school, its just things could be better for the people learning. truly its amazing what people learn and when you have seen things done properly (or at least to full potential) then you think about everything differently.

i love wood turning now and im fully hooked (:doh: damn no money) im lucky i could have people helping me to find my own way about doing things but its truly great to see people wanting to learn and these skills.

Rum Pig
25th November 2008, 02:05 PM
There are some nice piece there that is for sure. it is good to see that their is so many young people turning to such high standards (better than me:~)

As for the future leaders of our country I think we all need to give them a chance to mature I knowI did not settle down till my early 20's. I think the youth of today have more stuff to deal with and more money and better toys (cars etc) I think if I was a young man today I would be no better than most of them. That's my two bob Worth I will crawl back in my hole now:)

Manuka Jock
25th November 2008, 04:26 PM
Yep , today , there are too many choices , and possibly , not enough informed direction .
In many cases , what passes for advice , is con-job advertising .
40 years and two generations ago , the reality was far different .

Allan at Wallan
25th November 2008, 09:21 PM
It seems a fair while back that I was a "youth" and now wish
I had been introduced to woodturning in those days.

I turn 70 next birthday and turned on a lathe for the first time
when I was 68. Now a member of two woodturning clubs and
a Forumite, it has given me immense pleasure to mingle with
other like-minded "woodies" and gain experience.

Providing I retain good health I trust I will go on to create
many items which can be retained, given as gifts, or
occasionally sold, for years to come.

These young blokes have a great opportunity to build
for the future.

Allan