PDA

View Full Version : breeding dilema

garfield
23rd November 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi,

I've got a massive problem, I think my staffy bitch is pregnant. The problem I have is I think it's her son that's the father. I meant to get her de-sexed but unfortunately I kept putting it off and I think he may have got to her while she was on season. I separated them for over a week as I took the male to a friends and honestly thought that I had avoided this happening.

So I'm wondering if anyone on this forum knows what I can do. I'm thinking of just having the pups put down when they are born as I'm worried that they will be deformed or not quite right mentally, but have been informed that apparently some dogs are bred this way to keep blood lines going and that the digs turn out OK. Can anyone confirm that please? because if this is the case I'd love to just be able to give them away to friends for pets.

Thanks
Geoff

tea lady
23rd November 2008, 11:06 PM
I don't think just one generation of "inbreeding" will cause deformities. Although its prolly not usual to breed on purpose mother to son it should be OK.:cool: Maybe ask your vet? But I'm sure it won't be a problem.

garfield
23rd November 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't think just one generation of "inbreeding" will cause deformities. Although its prolly not usual to breed on purpose mother to son it should be OK.:cool: Maybe ask your vet? But I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Thanks Tea lady. Trust me I certainly didn't want them to breed and I didn't want my bitch to have anymore litters as she had complications last time and it just isn't worth it. But if it is OK I'll just give them away.

tea lady
23rd November 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Tea lady. Trust me I certainly didn't want them to breed and I didn't want my bitch to have anymore litters as she had complications last time and it just isn't worth it. But if it is OK I'll just give them away.

" Complications" can certainly make the profit margin vanish.:rolleyes: Is there a possibility the complications will do a repeat performance?

garfield
23rd November 2008, 11:50 PM
" Complications" can certainly make the profit margin vanish.:rolleyes: Is there a possibility the complications will do a repeat performance?

I hope not :no: I just wanted to give her one litter to fulfill her life I guess. She had that litter nearly two years ago now and we thought we were gonna lose her. I didn't think there was any chance she was pregnant - or that she even had the chance that he could have done it to her, but just today my wife and I have noticed that she is looking a bit fat and her nipples seem to be dropping down like they are starting to get ready.

I hope I'm wrong but I think she is.

Vernonv
24th November 2008, 12:00 PM
If it works, call it line breeding ... :;

garfield
24th November 2008, 12:21 PM

What's that? Should I have them put down do you think?

beautiful looking staffy on your avatar by the way.

fenderbelly
24th November 2008, 01:57 PM
will this help you.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htm

Vernonv
24th November 2008, 01:58 PM
What's that? Should I have them put down do you think?
Line breeding is basically inbreeding (but not normally parent/sibling or sibling/sibling) done for a specific purpose (if you want more info best to google it ... I'm certainly no expert).

I don't think you should put them down and you will most likely not have any problems with them (physically or mentally). When/if you sell them, it would be best that you let the new owners know (just in case there are any complications later on) and they should be sold as pets only (i.e. not for breeding).

beautiful looking staffy on your avatar by the way.

Yeah, Jet is probably one of the beefiest Staffy's we've ever owned ... has a beautiful nature ... but is thick as a brick.

garfield
24th November 2008, 02:28 PM
will this help you.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htm

Thanks

garfield
24th November 2008, 02:30 PM
Line breeding is basically inbreeding (but not normally parent/sibling or sibling/sibling) done for a specific purpose (if you want more info best to google it ... I'm certainly no expert).

I don't think you should put them down and you will most likely not have any problems with them (physically or mentally). When/if you sell them, it would be best that you let the new owners know (just in case there are any complications later on) and they should be sold as pets only (i.e. not for breeding).

Yeah, Jet is probably one of the beefiest Staffy's we've ever owned ... has a beautiful nature ... but is thick as a brick.

I love staffy's - you can't beat them I reckon. Thanks for the advice.

silentC
24th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Well, you can beat them, but they don't feel it :D

Mine is a staffy X. I wanted a staffy but the wife brought this one home from the animal welfare shelter so he got the gig.

Geoff Dean
24th November 2008, 03:11 PM

That's exactly what it is called, though my belief was that it was usually father/daughter or father/granddaughter that they bred.

Quite a common practice with purebred dogs I am led to believe.

You shouldn't have any more problems that normal if you let he pregnancy continue, however if any of the pups want to play the banjo you will know there is something wrong with them. :D

Vernonv
24th November 2008, 04:22 PM
That's exactly what it is called ... Yes it is ... my comment was a meant to be tongue in cheek and is based on something a farmer once said to me in regard to the question of inbreeding vs line breeding - "if it works its line breeding and if it doesn't its inbreeding".

Geoff Dean
24th November 2008, 06:29 PM
yes it is ... My comment was a meant to be tongue in cheek and is based on something a farmer once said to me in regard to the question of inbreeding vs line breeding - "if it works its line breeding and if it doesn't its inbreeding".
:d

NCArcher
24th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Garfield,
I just asked my wife who is a Vet. She said there is a significant chance that a recessive or hidden defect will be expressed in the pups. (I rarely understand a word she says :no:)

PM to follow.

garfield
24th November 2008, 09:40 PM
You shouldn't have any more problems that normal if you let he pregnancy continue, however if any of the pups want to play the banjo you will know there is something wrong with them. :D

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :U:U:U:U:U:U I laughed for about 10 mins after reading that.

garfield
24th November 2008, 09:43 PM
Garfield,
I just asked my wife who is a Vet. She said there is a significant chance that a recessive or hidden defect will be expressed in the pups. (I rarely understand a word she says :no:)

PM to follow.

Thanks NC. I've spoken to a vet today and they said if she's about 6weeks (Like I believe she is) then she's too far gone and she'll need to have the pups before I work out what I can and will do with them.