PDA

View Full Version : Help please ... Can I use Jarrah to make a Honey Drizzler?

Interwood
24th November 2008, 07:45 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to wood turning.

SWMBO has suggested that I might try to make some useful kitchen utensils. A honey drizzler, wooden spoons and salad servers have been suggested.

Would it be safe (foodsafe) to make these utelsils out of Jarrah, WA Sheoak or Tasmanian Oak? I have some organoil finish that I've been told is safe for cutting boards. I've also been told that ordinary beeswax is OK to finish the Honey Drizzler with. Is this correct, please?

If these woods are not OK for making these items, what would you suggest please?

Thanks in advance,

Interwood

Manuka Jock
24th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to wood turning.

SWMBO has suggested that I might try to make some useful kitchen utensils. A honey drizzler, wooden spoons and salad servers have been suggested.

Would it be safe (foodsafe) to make these utelsils out of Jarrah, WA Sheoak or Tasmanian Oak? I have some organoil finish that I've been told is safe for cutting boards. I've also been told that ordinary beeswax is OK to finish the Honey Drizzler with. Is this correct, please?

If these woods are not OK for making these items, what would you suggest please?

Thanks in advance,

Interwood

hallo Intawood ,
olive oil is good for food treen , and after the utensil has been washed , it can be oiled again .
As to the woods themselves , the locals on here will know .

Welcome to the Nut Tree :U

Jock

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th November 2008, 08:00 PM

WA Sheoak or Tas Oak should be fine. :2tsup: Jarrah... well I can't say that Jarrah isn't suitable, but somehow it's not a wood I would consider food-safe. (Dunno why. :shrug:)

Beeswax is perfectly OK for the drizzler, but be careful when buffing it that you don't catch/break the "discs" off the end. Being very short grained, they don't have much strength.

rsser
25th November 2008, 06:23 AM
Also think about grain with your dipper. Some blocks of Tas oak or Jarrah can be pretty coarse and you risk chipping out at the disc edges. (You can minimise this by going in with the parting tool first at scraping angle and then lift the tip to peel cut).

You could finish your dipper just by soaking it overnight in a natural drying oil - linseed or soybean if memory serves (see Big Shed's recent posts), or pure tung if you can afford it - and then letting it dry.

OGYT
26th November 2008, 10:43 AM
Good suggestions all. Welcome to the bottomless pit of woodturning. :D
I've made a fair amount of Honey Drizzlers (best name I've heard, too!), and any really dense wood works quite well. I think Tassie rose myrtle would work great, due to the density of the wood. I've not made a good one from oak, as Ern says, it'll chip really easy, and I'm a klutz. :) I've made them out of Osage Orange, and they are pretty nice. Dense is good for the strength of the little thin discs.

rsser
26th November 2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, fine grained timbers would be easiest to get right and would feel good btwn the fingers.

Tassie Myrtle would be a good choice (if dry).

Jock, some folk reckon Olive Oil as a finish has a tendency to go off. Never tried the stuff m'self.

Manuka Jock
26th November 2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, fine grained timbers would be easiest to get right and would feel good btwn the fingers.

Tassie Myrtle would be a good choice (if dry).

Jock, some folk reckon Olive Oil as a finish has a tendency to go off. Never tried the stuff m'self.

Yeah , have heard that too , and can see that it could happen.
Mine seem to stay ok , the ones that I use myself .
Being food items tho , they will be getting washed and re-oiled ( or should be ) often.
Any cooking oils should be ok except peanut eh .

rsser
26th November 2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, my only experience with regularly used kitchen items is with a big plane tree salad bowl. Soaked it with sunflower or safflower oil (can't recall which) and after that it's been in use for several years. Washed in detergent along with everything else, also of course the oil in a vinaigrette might have conditioned it, but it's now feeling kinda sticky. Maybe it's the Balsamic vinegar. Dunno.

Any case ... it's the patina of use as Richard Raffan puts it. Also being turned with a recess in the base I can readily clean it up with steel and refinish it.

Manuka Jock
26th November 2008, 03:29 PM
Bob Stocksdale , in his interview , recommends a good wash with the pot scrubber , :D

He spoke of one coming back after many years for a scrape down .