PDA

View Full Version : To resaw or not to resaw?

Carry Pine
24th November 2008, 07:52 PM
I have some lovely pieces of various timbers that I would like to make some boxes out of. Most are around 14mm thick. I'm happy to make boxes that are 14mm thick but most small boxes I see are around 7-8mm. Here is the problem!
Do I just thickness them down to 7mm or attempt to resaw them. The advantage of resawing is that there may be another piece to be gained (14mm- 8mm-saw kerf = 4mm of usable timber) but the danger is that I may stuff up and ruin the whole piece.

What do others think?

Graham

RicB
24th November 2008, 08:01 PM
If it were me I would run them through the thicknesser. Less chance to stuff up and a guaranteed finish.

Frank&Earnest
24th November 2008, 08:18 PM
Does it not all boil down to how good your bandsaw is and how good you are with it?

Assuming that you are good and you need only 1mm pass to thickness down from 8 to 7 and 4 to 3, would you have use for 3mm thick board? Resawing would seem more practical when you want to rip through the middle to get 2 equally sized boards of 5-6.

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2008, 09:12 PM
If you were to rip them, you'd also need to plane the existing face that isn't sawn to expose fresh grain otherwise it'd cup I reckon.

Carry Pine
25th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like the thicknesser is the way to go.

Graham

AlexS
25th November 2008, 04:57 PM
How about bandsawing to the thickness you want (allowing for planing) and using the offcuts as veneers?

Different
25th November 2008, 07:42 PM
How about bandsawing to the thickness you want (allowing for planing) and using the offcuts as veneers?

Im with Alex as usual. I keep the thin offcuts as either veneers or as door panels for small cabinets or panels for cabinet backs. Also useful for inlay work.
I love resawing I cant resist an opportunity when it presents.

Ross