PDA

View Full Version : Jugger "Pompfeys" - need a grp-rod supplier

Linus05
24th November 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi there,
I already tried my luck in the toymakers-forum and got the recommendation to start another attempt in this place.
Maybe one of you has a good solution for us.
And I hope the admins aren't to hard on me. Now that I'm completely in the wrong forum.

We're trying o build the next generation "Pompfey" in Brisbane for a game called Jugger.

What we lack is a good core material.
We already tried various timber and bamboo core rods, but they tend to brake and splinter after heavy usage.
The recommendation from the german players is a "glass(fibre) reinforced plastic" (grp) rod, but we can't find a shop selling them in Australia.

Does anyone know where to buy GRP rods or rods made out of a material with similar attributes?

I know this is supposed to be a forum for woodworker, but I hope to find others who encountered a similar problem and found a solution. We used wood for most pompfeys and we're still using it for shields and other parts.

Short introduction:
Jugger is a teamsport where a "ball" has to be carried to the opponents "goal". Both teams are equipped with various heavily!!! padded weapons (the pompfeys).
The pompfeys have to be light, slightly (as much as bamboo) flexible and indestructible (as close as it can get).

A breaking bamboo or timber core might eventually injure a player and a thick timber core doesn't leave much room for padding, because the pompfeys have to be thin and fast.

for images:
http://www.jugger.org.au/

I really hope, someone can help us for we don't know where else to search.

b.o.a.t.
25th November 2008, 02:49 AM
ETSA uses 8mm f/glass rods about 1.2M long to separate power lines in
windy bush fire prone areas. Might be available through an electrical supplier, or safety equipment supplier.
HTH
AJ

Darce
25th November 2008, 07:26 AM
Check with a decent mast supplier, wound carbon core masts are used in 18 footers and are incredibly light

Linus05
27th November 2008, 11:11 PM
Carbon is a bit too expensive of what I've heard.
But I believe we found the right website. Finally :-)

Thanks for your help. I hope we get some proper pompfeys now.
yehaa

Pagie
24th December 2008, 05:22 PM
What diameter are you talking about? What about fishing rod manufactures?

Fair Dink
27th December 2008, 09:56 PM
If you are in Brisbane, try Adrian DeBerg at Australian Tackle Company, Carole Park (pretty sure its Antimony St), opposite Alvey Reels.