PDA

View Full Version : burl dining table

mongrell
25th November 2008, 06:28 PM
been mucking arond with this for awile now , sliced the burls to about 5 mill then glued them onto ply , then cut them into shape and glued that onto a backing board of ply . thats pic 2 when sanded the burl ends up 3 mill, pic 1 is what happens when you use 4 year old glue and it doesnt set, have tried glueing solid 20 mil burl strait onto ply backing but because of movement the whole lot just self destructed ,also used sikaflex in joints ,pic 5, which looks ok in the pic but when sanded the sikaflex was left concave in the joints . this last one ive used epiglass a 2 pack glue . this should hold it all together ??pic 4 . plan is to edge it all with blackwood with a rebate set into it to hold the burl top and ply , with mitred corners . will this work or will the blackwood works against the ply . ive kd the b wood down to 6 to 8 percent . also how do i strenghen the mitres i was thinking wack as many biscuits in as possible . a spline running through the mitre would be better but how would this be done ? any ideas or comments welcome

tea lady
25th November 2008, 10:40 PM
:oo: That's full on grain isn't it. You cuold get away with some REALLY boring dinners on that.:D (Sorry. No suggestions on joins. Just had to say how amazing it looked.:C:D)

patrickdt10
26th November 2008, 09:17 AM
what a table design buddy! the finished top looks great!;) whatever ya did with it, it works!

bark-hut
26th November 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi mongrel, very interested in what you mention about timber self destructing when glued as 20mm thick, yet stable when cut to 5mm thick.
I had same problem with oak boards, 19mm thick, glued with 2 pack onto 19mm hardwood, grains of wood set at 90 degrees to each other.
The oak has been cut for well over twenty years, very stable when stacked in racks but split when fully glued to another board, must try again with 5mm timber.
What’s the reason for this happening, why is the 5mm piece more stable than the 20mm piece

Like your table very much, appreciate the work you’ve done.
Col

mongrell
26th November 2008, 05:33 PM
hey col ,maybe youre problem was that you were joining 2 bits of differant wood at differant angles one bit wants to move one way and the other bit the other ,with burl because the grain isnt strait its very hard to dry especially thick pieces.by bringing it down to 3 mill its almost a veneer and when glued onto ply hopefully it cant move . thats my theory anyway .

Ironwood
26th November 2008, 06:20 PM
Mongrel, that looks great.

I bet your happy with that, I know I would be :2tsup:

artme
27th November 2008, 10:26 PM
Fabulous looking piece Mongrel. :2tsup::2tsup:

To me a bit overpowering but worthy nonetheless.

barg2757
17th December 2008, 08:12 PM
wow, some fine looking tables, only i think they would probably look a lot better at my house...i like the end you made for that long table. thats gonna look sharp.

mongrell
18th December 2008, 05:13 PM
table is finished but i think artme might be right . soon as i put it together it just looked a bit too much . i get the same impression when i see tables and furniture made out of all fiddleback . i made plain legs for it too but decided to go another step further so ill filinsh the the plain legs and see how that looks and put a plain top on the other legs .