PDA

View Full Version : Sub 1000mm lathes?

Woodwould
26th November 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm not really into ornamental turning; more the practical stuff (although the rellies will no doubt expect the odd pen for presents), so I'm on the market for a sub 1000mm lathe.

I'm used to a good industrial lathe, but now I just want a reasonable sized lathe for my shed (large cupboard) at home which I will use primarily for turning the odd chair or table leg and tool handle etc. I would like something that uses a common spindle thread/Morse taper so I can purchase various standard chucks and attachments as required.<O:p

I haven't been to any machinery stores as yet because my chauffer's time is precious and I want to narrow the field before putting in for my travel pass.<O:p

So far I have looked on-line at Carpet Heck's MC900 and Hare & Forbes' WL-18 which appeal pricewise. I also value service and back-up as part of the deal. Are there any other worthy contenders in this bracket that I should look at?<O:p

artme
26th November 2008, 09:30 AM
Both are Ok for starters. Maybe a 2nd hand machine would be less expensive and, depending on the brand, even better.

Woodwould
26th November 2008, 09:45 AM
I will keep an eye out for a secondhand lathe too. :2tsup:

hughie
26th November 2008, 12:56 PM
WW, other than second hand your not going to get a better price than the ones you have listed. Anyway they are the same lathe just rebadged for each seller and you will need an adapter to fit your favourite chuck onto them.

Check out Jim Carrol he has a pretty good deal on Teknatool chucks, adapter included. I know I bought a couple from him

Woodwould
26th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks! :2tsup:

Adaptors are insidious bits of apparatus as they often introduce or multiply run-out. They're exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid, but I suppose for the price it's virtually unavoidable.

hughie
26th November 2008, 01:57 PM
WW run out, either by the chuck or adapter should not occur and if they do simply return the item to the supplier and get another one. On all my chucks and adapters I do not have this problem.

Manuka Jock
26th November 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks! :2tsup:

Adaptors are insidious bits of apparatus as they often introduce or multiply run-out. They're exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid, but I suppose for the price it's virtually unavoidable.
Woodwould , even Teknatool lathes have adaptors for Teknatool chucks .
They run true , providing you have the genuine article .

Woodwould
26th November 2008, 06:55 PM
OK, you've convinced me. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2008, 07:08 PM
I haven't been to any machinery stores as yet because my chauffer's time is precious and I want to narrow the field before putting in for my travel pass.<o>:p</o>

<o></o>

If your chauffeur's time is limited, I'd be happy to spend a day driving you around to various machinery shops if you like.

Send me a PM if you want to take this further :2tsup:

funkychicken
26th November 2008, 08:19 PM
How small is too small? I have a JET1220 and it's a great little machine.

Manuka Jock
26th November 2008, 08:24 PM
How small is too small? I have a JET1220 and it's a great little machine.

Yep , he has .
See

Woodwould
26th November 2008, 10:36 PM
DJ, PM sent.

Funky, what size is the Jet 1220? Is it not 1220mm long? As long as I can turn table legs (which at about 800mm is the longest things I anticipate turning) I'll be happy.

Jock, that lathe is probably more suitable for the size of shed I have to work with!

Manuka Jock
26th November 2008, 10:51 PM
DJ, PM sent.
Funky, what size is the Jet 1220? Is it not 1220mm long? As long as I can turn table legs (which at about 800mm is the longest things I anticipate turning) I'll be happy.

The 12 is the 'swing' in inches , the 20 is 'between centers' , in inches . Not sure of the overall length .
see here (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jet1220rvu.html) for the specs.

Jock, that lathe is probably more suitable for the size of shed I have to work with!
Its a very versatile machine Woody , it has a scroll saw and everything :D

Ed Reiss
27th November 2008, 12:11 AM
The 12 is the 'swing' in inches , the 20 is 'between centers' , in inches . Not sure of the overall length .
see here (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jet1220rvu.html) for the specs.

MJ you are cruel!!!!:doh::q

joe greiner
27th November 2008, 12:53 AM
Woodwould, the MC900, and several others like it, is a clone of the Jet 1236 (I think). In USA, Grizzly once had the same lathe with their badge, and my Harbor Freight 34706 is exactly the same. The only significant difference is the speed range, because of 50Hz and 60Hz electricity. My 34706 has served me well for about two years, although I haven't exploited all of its features.

True "ornamental turning" is an entirely different matter, with correspondence between the cutter and the radial position of the workpiece. For an example, search for [rose engine] in the forums or Google.

Joe

Manuka Jock
27th November 2008, 01:20 AM
As long as I can turn table legs (which at about 800mm is the longest things I anticipate turning) I'll be happy.

Woody ,
fitting an 800mm spindle on 1000mm bed lathe is pushing it a bit .
The headstock and tailstock generally take up a tad more space than 200mm .

joe greiner
27th November 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure how THEY measure it, but on my HF34706 (= MC900), the distance from the innermost extreme point of the spur drive to the innermost extreme point of the live centre is 850mm, measured about 5 minutes ago at about 40 degrees F (~4 deg C, I think); slightly more in hot weather. Surely enough to mount a blank 800mm long.

Joe

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 07:20 AM

Sold!

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 07:28 AM
Woodwould, the MC900, and several others like it, is a clone of the Jet 1236 (I think). In USA, Grizzly once had the same lathe with their badge, and my Harbor Freight 34706 is exactly the same. The only significant difference is the speed range, because of 50Hz and 60Hz electricity. My 34706 has served me well for about two years, although I haven't exploited all of its features.

True "ornamental turning" is an entirely different matter, with correspondence between the cutter and the radial position of the workpiece. For an example, search for [rose engine] in the forums or Google.

Joe

Thanks for the breakdown Joe.

I was really referring to 'ornamental' turning rather than 'ornamental turning' i.e. bowls, pens and trinkets etc.

I wondered about using the words 'ornamental turning' but I thought I could get away with it. I have seen some amazing ornamental turning done in the late 18th century. I used to have a few pieces myself and I have a fantastic book on Holtzapffel, the master of ornamental turning.

DJ’s Timber
27th November 2008, 07:48 AM
For the type of work you want to do and also because you'll be using it from a wheelchair most of the time, I'd suggest something like the Jet 1220 (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107442134) or Woodfast M305 (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5) because you can set it up on an open stand and put on an extension to be able to do longer spindle work.

From what you've said and also knowing of your background, I don't think you'll ever be happy with the Carpet Heck's MC900 and Hare & Forbes' WL-18 because of alignment issues due to the swivel head and the reeves pulley system of which must be kept clean and maintained periodically.

Of course this is just IMHO and is to be taken with a grain of salt :;

Calm
27th November 2008, 07:54 AM
This is the lathe (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W384)i have although mine was a WL20HD - a heavy duty model they brought out that has 205 mm clearance on the bed to allow a 400mm bowl over the bed.as well as heavy cast legs. It has a 1 1/2 hp motor.

I have found this to be a good "startup" lathe but is limited to its abilites. mine is bolted to the concrete floor with 12mm Dynabolts (i drilled the holes in the legs to use bigger bolts).

i find the slowest speed of 500 rpm is too fast if you try to spin a 400 mm blank that is unbalanced - it makes for interesting times when everything starts shaking - usually what happens is the "cam lock" system that holds the headstock tight on the bed comes loose. - I have now given up using the camlock and just use a socket to tighten the headstock from underneath on the nut.

The "reeves" pulley setup will slip if you try using a bowl saver but otherwise it has given me no trouble. - it did seize up when in storage for a year but CRC soon freed that up.

The slop in the tailstock to bed (sideways) can make drilling holes etc in the centre a little difficult but with practice you get used to it. There is also slop in the headstock to bed which means that the centres canbe lined up (when touching each other) but then when you work at distance the centres may not be lined up (doesnt sound right but hope you understand)

Not trying to put you off but i think if you intend to do unbalanced large bowls i would go for a lathe that can go slower than 500rpm. If you dont think you will do big stuff like that then for table legs, pens etc i thnk it would fit your needs.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Manuka Jock
27th November 2008, 08:27 AM
Woodwould ,
does this
"so I'm in the market for a sub 1000mm lathe.
I'm used to a good industrial lathe, but now I just want a reasonable sized lathe for my shed (large cupboard) at home"
mean that the available place where you will be positioning the lathe in the 'large cupboard' is a space 1 meter wide , and therefor you need a lathe that is a meter in length from outside end to outside end , a footprint length of 1000mm ?

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 08:38 AM
For the type of work you want to do and also because you'll be using it from a wheelchair most of the time, I'd suggest something like the Jet 1220 (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107442134) or Woodfast M305 (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5) because you can set it up on an open stand and put on an extension to be able to do longer spindle work.

From what you've said and also knowing of your background, I don't think you'll ever be happy with the Carpet Heck's MC900 and Hare & Forbes' WL-18 because of alignment issues due to the swivel head and the reeves pulley system of which must be kept clean and maintained periodically.

Of course this is just IMHO and is to be taken with a grain of salt :;

I can stand for about ten minutes at a time before I need to sit again which would accommodate a fair bit of leg-making. I have a chair in my shed, but there just isn't the floor space for my wheelchair.

I initially thought of budgeting around $500-$600 which is why I was looking at Carpet Heck's MC900 and Hare & Forbes' WL-18 and any similar machines, but by the sounds of it I'd be better off spending $600-$800. I'm disappointed (but not really surprised) to hear of the misalignment issues with the Hare & Forbes' WL-18 lathe issues. Does the Carpet Heck MC900 suffer the same sloppiness?<O:p

OK, so if I were to focus on the Jet 1220 or Woodfast M305 with a bed extension, are there any slop or misalignment concerns with them?

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Woodwould ,
does this
"so I'm in the market for a sub 1000mm lathe.
I'm used to a good industrial lathe, but now I just want a reasonable sized lathe for my shed (large cupboard) at home"
mean that the available place where you will be positioning the lathe in the 'large cupboard' is a space 1 meter wide , and therefor you need a lathe that is a meter in length from outside end to outside end , a footprint length of 1000mm ?

:U No, I'm after a lathe with a minimum of 800mm between centres.

Manuka Jock
27th November 2008, 09:00 AM
What about bowl turning as well ? a swivel headstock one ?

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 09:01 AM
At this stage, the Woodfast M305 appeals more on the basis of having the lowest speed of 350 RPM versus the Jet 1220's 417 RPM (I like low speeds for some threading and spiral turning procedures).

I also like a well populated indexing facility. The Jet's indexing provides 24 positions. I've emailed Woodfast to establish how many positions the M305 has.

Unfortunately the footprint of the lathes (with the essential bed extensions) is larger than I had hoped for, but I may just have to work around that. What a pity someone doesn't make a decent 900mm lathe.

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 09:06 AM

If I make more than a few bowls a year, I'd be surprised and with a swing of 300mm on the Woodfast and Jet lathes, that should more than suffice.

tea lady
27th November 2008, 09:08 AM
If your chauffeur's time is limited, I'd be happy to spend a day driving you around to various machinery shops if you like.

Send me a PM if you want to take this further :2tsup: :oo: DJ just wants to go shopping. :D

I think he said he didn't turn ornaments.:rolleyes:

But I think we need to invent a tall wheely stool, kinda like a taller version of those ones hairdressers have. That would keep you "standing" a bit longer maybe.:cool:

Manuka Jock
27th November 2008, 09:26 AM
If I had enough spare tin , I'd get the Oneway 1236SD tilt over lathe , just so I could sit back in me armchair of an evening , and make shavings :D

wheelinround
27th November 2008, 09:32 AM
WW Like me I guess you can go from wheelchair to stool I recently got a Draftsmans gas lift chair off a forumite for Free. This has made life so much easier as now I can swivel the chair around along the bench and across the floor to the tool box on the other side of the shed, then swing around to the Drill & grinding station.

I have the Jet Mini VS with extension bed only has 10" swing, I wish I had bigger.

Ornametal Turning show us your wares, Holtzapffel ok which one :U they are now free to download off the Net.:doh:

I have forgoten where your located WW but Peninsular Wood Turners Club (http://home.vicnet.net.au/%7Epwguild/) have a good OT group and also disabled turners.

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 10:48 AM
But I think we need to invent a tall wheely stool, kinda like a taller version of those ones hairdressers have. That would keep you "standing" a bit longer maybe.:cool:

I have one in the planning stages. I've got a pretty cast aluminium mobile base off an office chair to which I'm going to attach a column and into which will fit a long wooden screw with shaped Windsor style seat. That way I'll be able to wind it up and down to just about any suitable height.

I've done some more research on Aussie timbers that would be suitable for thread cutting and I think Tasmanian Myrtle is the front runner. Has anyone heard of it or know where I can get some?

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 11:12 AM
WW Like me I guess you can go from wheelchair to stool I recently got a Draftsmans gas lift chair off a forumite for Free. This has made life so much easier as now I can swivel the chair around along the bench and across the floor to the tool box on the other side of the shed, then swing around to the Drill & grinding station.

I have the Jet Mini VS with extension bed only has 10" swing, I wish I had bigger.

Ornametal Turning show us your wares, Holtzapffel ok which one :U they are now free to download off the Net.:doh:

I have forgoten where your located WW but Peninsular Wood Turners Club (http://home.vicnet.net.au/%7Epwguild/) have a good OT group and also disabled turners.

I've got Holtzapffel's The Principles and Practice of Ornamental Or Complex Turning which is a reprint of the original.

Thanks for the information too. :2tsup:

tea lady
27th November 2008, 11:37 AM
Mathews Timber does have Tassie Myrtle. Just not in as big a section as you wanted for your bench screws.

funkychicken
27th November 2008, 11:40 AM
OK, so if I were to focus on the Jet 1220 or Woodfast M305 with a bed extension, are there any slop or misalignment concerns with them?

:- If you go with a Jet then check the alignment before you buy. They're notorious for having alignment issues. I've only just got mine to align well enough to spit out pens that are perfectly round.

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 12:36 PM
Mathews Timber does have Tassie Myrtle. Just not in as big a section as you wanted for your bench screws.

Did you tell me that already? I'm somewhat forgetful. I'm sometimes forgetful you know. Occasionally I forget things.

Woodwould
27th November 2008, 12:44 PM
:- If you go with a Jet then check the alignment before you buy. They're notorious for having alignment issues. I've only just got mine to align well enough to spit out pens that are perfectly round.

What is it with these manufacturers? It's not too difficult to perform this sort of machining accurately. I don't mind modifying stuff to suit my application, but it maddens me when I have to fine tune some imbecile's handiwork that should have been performed correctly from the outset.

Mr, Woodfast replied very promptly to a couple of questions I aimed at him this morning (BTW, the Woodfast indexing facility has twelve positions), so I'll ask him about the accuracy of their machines.

Manuka Jock
27th November 2008, 06:55 PM
Woodwould , this one here has all the qualities that you want ,
Teknatool's Nova DVR XP (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm) :2tsup:

rsser
28th November 2008, 05:02 PM
Tassie Myrtle is fairly common among wood suppliers. Just make sure what you buy has been seasoned. Some turning blank retailers flog it green and it's a pox to dry.

As for the MC900, this actually isn't just one model though examples might share the designation and look similar. Chinese makers source their parts from a range of suppliers and if they're building to a low price will be sourcing cheap components.

The price here can vary by a couple of hundred bucks. So if you opt for this get one from a reputable retailer. Frankly, on value for money it's hard to beat.

Carbatec btw have a special on their Chinese EVS lathe (c. $900) but you'd need to research user experience. Seem to recall some -ve comments and/or returns.

Woodwould
28th November 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Ern. I spoke to an extremely obliging Jim Carroll this morning and he extolled the virtues of the Woodfast M305 lathe saying it beats the similar sized Jet model hands down in terms of motor power (even though the Jet is advertised with a 3/4 HP motor versus the Woodfast's 1/2 HP motor). However, it appears there aren't any M305 lathes in until about February next year.

I also called Woodfast Machinery about a M305 and received a couple of very prompt responses to my emails. Their prices are about $100 more than Carroll's and Carpet Heck's for the same model, but the rationale I was given is that they improve the lathes somehow. When I asked what the modifications consist of, the emails stopped.

I called Carpet Heck too and spoke to Doug who was very friendly and helpful. We talked lathes for a while and he also told me the MC900 lathe that I was originally considering is actually not a bad lathe and is excellent value for money.

Doug told me about one which they set up and headstock/tailstock were about 1mm out. He went on to say that some lathes costing twice as much and more can be out by as much as 2mm!<O:p

Doug recommended I call Carl (who I know well) for a chat on Monday as he has a MC900 and loves it. <O:p

The search continues – but is narrowing!

Woodwould
28th November 2008, 05:28 PM
Woodwould , this one here has all the qualities that you want ,
Teknatool's Nova DVR XP (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm) :2tsup:

Except for the price! Thanks, but I don't want to pay that much.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2008, 06:33 PM
Don't let anyone put you off the MC-900's as a choice... it's very true that they're not the Rolls-Royces of lathes, but they are the Holdens. There's so many of them around that spare parts are easy to obtain, and if you treat 'em right they'll see the job through.

Admittedly it's more like a Holden's plans have been posted on the internet, so every company with more than two employees have made their own version... but most are faithful to the basic design and it's only minor details that change.

The quality of machining varies quite dramatically between brands, of course, and only a fool thinks a $250 lathe will be as good as the "same" (apparently) lathe going for $800+. Even so, the MC-900 can be a good workhorse... if you take the time to check 'em over very closely in order to get a good one. (More 'n more like a Holden the longer I think about it! :D)

MC-900's have... "known foibles" and for an expert turner they're far from the ideal platform to explore the limits of turning. But I know a few MC-900 owners who haven't reached their machine's limits yet after several years (and probably never will. But SSSH! I didn't say that! :wink:) On the other hand, I also know some blokes who are turning out exhibition quality pieces on them. As I'm sure you know, it's not the tools that makes the craftsman.

Oh... and incidentally, although I like the Nova DVR XP I don't know that I'd buy one even if Teknatool had a "50% off" day. Not yet... they're still only a relatively recent development in all ways and only time will tell if they're as good as they seem.

Ask me again in... oh... 5 years from now and then I'll be able to give a halfway decent evaluation.

(Hmmm... :think: Is there anybody out there whose toes I haven't stepped on yet? :D:p)

funkychicken
28th November 2008, 06:41 PM
There's always the Nova 3000, it's a top notch lathe

derekcohen
29th November 2008, 02:36 AM
WW

Have a serious look at a Jet mini. Mine is the older version with a 1/2 hp motor (the new one is 3/4 hp). This is fine for my needs - I do not use it for bowls. Bascally it is a full-size machine that is placed on a small bed. The bed is extendable - if you choose. In the picture below I have the add-on bed for long spindles.

It is a smooth running lathe that belies its size.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Workbench%20and%20Workshop/Lathe%20bench/Lathebench-bigpicture1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

wheelinround
29th November 2008, 09:39 AM
My Jet is the variable speed similar to Derek's WW other than switch problem no alignment troubles. Swing is restricted as I said earlier to 10" its actually more like 9 1/2" :doh:. I do turn bowls and platters, the extension bed I have also.

You can convert the Jet to an OT lathe (http://themodernrose.com/) also.

Price of the Jet Mini VS $645 (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219987) + ext $70 to $120 or Midi (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107442134) which has 12" swing approx $600 plus ext $165 is equal and more then the MC900 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W382) price of $449 and it swivels etc $100 bucks less for same as Carberator then the top on from H&F the W388 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W388) at $1200

DJ :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: for offering to drive WW around giving his normal chaufer a break well done. greenie on its way

Woodwould
4th December 2008, 03:13 PM
I just took delivery of a brand new MC1100; it was too cheap to resist. As part of the deal I also got a Teknatool chuck and a few other bits and pieces. :U

wheelinround
4th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Well where's the photo's:p

good on you WW

Woodwould
4th December 2008, 03:20 PM
TBO has the camera with her today (out partying tonight), but there's not much to see anyway - yet. The whole lot is sitting on a pallet all wrapped up in plastic. It will be at least the weekend before TBO will have time to start pulling it all apart for me.

Manuka Jock
4th December 2008, 04:22 PM
great mate :2tsup:

I'll be looking forward to the pics of those table legs :U

woodwork wally
11th December 2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Woodwould I have an mc1100 and there is a mc900 available and once you spend a little time setting up they are fine . My spares after some years use were sourced from Haire and Forbes at Dandenong and ask for Robert service fantastic :2tsup:Your teknatool chucks from Jim Carroll in Drysedale with the teknatool adaptor to your headstock and runout is not a problem:):) as far as I am concerned although some others were selling non tek...l adaptors:?:oo: and were experiencing runout due to incorrect seating:no::no: . Thats my 2 bobs worth and hope it helps a bit Cheers for now WW.Wally

woodwork wally
11th December 2008, 08:50 PM
Don't let anyone put you off the MC-900's as a choice... it's very true that they're not the Rolls-Royces of lathes, but they are the Holdens. There's so many of them around that spare parts are easy to obtain, and if you treat 'em right they'll see the job through.

Admittedly it's more like a Holden's plans have been posted on the internet, so every company with more than two employees have made their own version... but most are faithful to the basic design and it's only minor details that change.

The quality of machining varies quite dramatically between brands, of course, and only a fool thinks a $250 lathe will be as good as the "same" (apparently) lathe going for $800+. Even so, the MC-900 can be a good workhorse... if you take the time to check 'em over very closely in order to get a good one. (More 'n more like a Holden the longer I think about it! :D)

MC-900's have... "known foibles" and for an expert turner they're far from the ideal platform to explore the limits of turning. But I know a few MC-900 owners who haven't reached their machine's limits yet after several years (and probably never will. But SSSH! I didn't say that! :wink:) On the other hand, I also know some blokes who are turning out exhibition quality pieces on them. As I'm sure you know, it's not the tools that makes the craftsman.

Oh... and incidentally, although I like the Nova DVR XP I don't know that I'd buy one even if Teknatool had a "50% off" day. Not yet... they're still only a relatively recent development in all ways and only time will tell if they're as good as they seem.

Ask me again in... oh... 5 years from now and then I'll be able to give a halfway decent evaluation.

(Hmmm... :think: Is there anybody out there whose toes I haven't stepped on yet? :D:p)
Hey Skew damn good try but only where there is no sence of humour Cheers mate Wally

wheelinround
11th December 2008, 08:53 PM
Where's WW has he got so into turning with his new lathe he's forgotten the forum and the photo's

Manuka Jock
11th December 2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Woodwould I have an mc1100 and there is a mc900 available and once you spend a little time setting up they are fine . My spares after some years use were sourced from Haire and Forbes at Dandenong and ask for Robert service fantastic :2tsup:Your teknatool chucks from Jim Carroll in Drysedale with the teknatool adaptor to your headstock and runout is not a problem:):) as far as I am concerned although some others were selling non tek...l adaptors:?:oo: and were experiencing runout due to incorrect seating:no::no: . Thats my 2 bobs worth and hope it helps a bit Cheers for now WW.Wally

For the info on the Teknatool Nova products , including the adaptors , and where to get genuine ones in Australia

http://www.teknatool.com/

Woodwould
11th December 2008, 10:59 PM
No, I'm still here. I haven't even unpacked the lathe yet. I operate at a severely reduced pace these days.

My workbench is almost finished, so after that, I'm going to start on some storage units and a cupboard/stand for the lathe. It could be Easter before I turn something. :roll:

wheelinround
12th December 2008, 11:43 AM
TBO has the camera with her today (out partying tonight), but there's not much to see anyway - yet. The whole lot is sitting on a pallet all wrapped up in plastic. It will be at least the weekend before TBO will have time to start pulling it all apart for me.

And she is hiding the camera and restricting him to the house :D

Come on WW you know you want to unpack it I wish I could come down and help with it all.

Woodwould
12th December 2008, 12:30 PM

Hi WW.Wally, thanks for the info and I'll remember to call Robert if I need any spares.

If you have a moment, could I intrude on your time please? Could you take a tape to your lathe and let me know the height from the bottom of the lathe bed (i.e. the bench top) to the spindle centre?
I know what height I want the centres, and your measurement will tell me what height I need to make the cupboard/stand without my having to unpack and partially assemble the lathe. I'll then draw the stand in CAD and start cutting up more MDF. :doh:

Woodwould
12th December 2008, 12:31 PM
And she is hiding the camera and restricting him to the house :D

Come on WW you know you want to unpack it I wish I could come down and help with it all.

I'm dieing to unpack the stupid thing, but I know if I do, I'll only have to pack it away again as space is very limited.

hughie
12th December 2008, 01:26 PM
Wouldwood,

When you get serious on your MC1100 you will need to throw away its stand. It will always flex and wobble around. Before I changed mine it was quite common to do the MC Walz all round the shed .:C :U

The lathe is well priced as you have found and very capable of doing whatever you ask of it with in reason considering its lineage.

Down the track if are looking at doing some changes pm me I have made drastic changes to mine and this has improved no end.

So much so I can swing a 15kg lump on it with no qualms at 0-2500rpm

Woodwould
12th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Wouldwood,

When you get serious on your MC1100 you will need to throw away its stand.
I anticipated that which is exactly why I want to wait until I have made a sturdy and heavy cupboard type stand for my new lathe before unpacking it and setting it up.

PM on its way.

Woodwould
24th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Woodwould , even Teknatool lathes have adaptors for Teknatool chucks .
They run true , providing you have the genuine article .

Well Carpet Heck must have sold me one of the non-genuine adaptors. I fired the lathe up for the first time this afternoon (I was going to make a couple of Walnut knobs to replace the split Beech ones on my Stanley router plane) and the Nova chuck was wobbling around in an unbelievable fashion. I didn't need a dial gauge to check it - it was easily 2mm-2.5mm out of true. The adaptor even looks like scrap. It's very roughly milled with burrs and dings all over it. :~

The lathe's spindle is true thankfully (I was worried for a moment), as are all the other accessories including a 2MT Jacobs chuck with a drill bit in it!

Manuka Jock
24th January 2009, 11:09 PM
Well Carpet Heck must have sold me one of the non-genuine adaptors. I fired the lathe up for the first time this afternoon (I was going to make a couple of Walnut knobs to replace the split Beech ones on my Stanley router plane) and the Nova chuck was wobbling around in an unbelievable fashion. I didn't need a dial gauge to check it - it was easily 2mm-2.5mm out of true. The adaptor even looks like scrap. It's very roughly milled with burrs and dings all over it. :~

The lathe's spindle is true thankfully (I was worried for a moment), as are all the other accessories including a 2MT Jacobs chuck with a drill bit in it!
The Teknatool site has a piece about the adapters on this page .

http://www.teknatool.com/

Woodwould
24th January 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks Jock. Very interesting.

The adaptor I have looks identical to the one in that link i.e. it has a hex head and not a round top section. Still, that means nothing these days with stuff being ripped off all the time.

I'll speak to Carpet Heck on Tuesday and ask them to send me a genuine Nova replacement.

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2009, 10:33 AM
If you have no luck let me know. I've a spare adapter which should suit the MC 1100 (I had a Hare & Forbes 900) I kept it when I changed lathes and got the new adapter for the new lathe, yours for the cost of postage.
There was a thread in here somewhere last year about the wobbly novas with dodgy adapters

Woodwould
25th January 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the very generous offer Nick. I'll let you know if I require your adaptor, but I fully expect Carpet Heck to come to the party as they supplied the duff adaptor in the first place.

Why do well established companies like Carpet Heck risk their reputation by fobbing off utter cr4p on their customers when they know full well the products are sub-standard and they'll have to replace them (at additional cost to them) further down the track? [Rhetorical rant over.]

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the very generous offer Nick. I'll let you know if I require your adaptor, but I fully expect Carpet Heck to come to the party as they supplied the duff adaptor in the first place.

Why do well established companies like Carpet Heck risk their reputation by fobbing off utter cr4p on their customers when they know full well the products are sub-standard and they'll have to replace them (at additional cost to them) further down the track? [Rhetorical rant over.]

cost price over profit (or is the other way round?)

Woodwould
2nd February 2009, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately Sawdust Maker's adaptor turned out to be for a 1-10 BSF spindle (for a Hafco MC900 or MC1100 I believe) and my Carba-Tec MC-1100 spindle is M30 x 3.5. So if anyone requires a 1" x 10 TPI adaptor for a Nova G3 chuck, send me a PM and I'll pass it on.

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 12:31 PM

I want one!!!!!!!! :)

Woodwould
18th February 2009, 08:25 AM
I went on a rare outing last Saturday to Carba-Tec in Springvale, Melbourne to resolve the issue of the wobbly chuck adaptor and to exchange the 'live' centre (actually dead, due to a cheap bearing) which was also part of the lathe package I had purchased.<o></o>

TBO wheeled me from the car and the first person we encountered was 'David', a weekend part-timer at Carba-Tec, who came out and held the door open so TBO could push me through. It turned out that the logical manner in which David held the door open was no coincidence; as we later discovered, in his full-time job, he works with disabled people<o></o> (I'm not disabled - I'm profoundly lazy :q).

David asked how he could help and I promptly showed him the live centre I had been sent. After one look at the live centre David apologised for it and said it would be replaced with a superior item. It was and it is! <o></o>

I then handed David the Nova chuck and adaptor and pointed out that while the chuck was beautifully made and finished, the adaptor looked like it had been made on the Sub Continent by some wretched indivdual sitting cross-legged on a dirt floor, hand-filing the thing from a piece of old railway track. David agreed and excused himself while he went away and rectified the matter. <o></o>

I sat by the front counter gazing around at all the new and wonderful trinkets while TBO went on a reconnaissance foray. She kept coming back with all sorts of useful tools, aids and devices which I promptly placed in the basket on my lap. <o></o>

David returned and wheeled me over to an identical lathe to the one I purchased, on which he had mounted my chuck and a new adaptor. Not only did it rotate perfectly concentrically, but the adaptor was finished to almost the same standard as the Nova chuck and bore none of the file marks the former adaptor had. Again David apologized for the appalling adaptor which I had been sent originally.

One has to ask oneself why Carba-Tec sent such inexcusably bad pieces of kit in the first instance knowing they weren't serviceable. I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have received that adaptor and live centre had I gone in person to purchase them.<o></o>

David out-did himself and stuck with us for a good three quarters of an hour as we perambulated the store with my shopping list. Thumbs down to Carba-Tec for fobbing me off with sub-standard components initially :tdown:, but a big thumbs up to David for replacing the dodgy parts without question and for his excellent attentive service. :thumbup1:<o></o>

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 08:40 AM
YAY for David!!!

You should phone that Carba Tec and tell them how great he is.

I'm afraid at our local CT store when I went in to get some finishes the person who served me was less shiny. When I pointed out the Glow "no, the best we have is this other brand - and we don't have any in at the moment". I bought the Glow anyway. She did admit that the EEE was good but "we don't have any in at the moment".

I wanted to get the keyring parts but "we don't have any in at the moment".

I drove the extra half hour and went and saw Dave (hey! maybe it's something about the name???) at South East QLD Woodworking. He had them in.

artme
18th February 2009, 09:48 AM
I've almost given up on them. Usually when asked if I need help I am wont to say "Anything else I want that you don't have?" Quite frankly, since Ct was started in Bris I think its Bris store is a bloody disgrace.

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I hate it when I make the special trip with my wish list (usually 3 or 4 pages) and they don't have half of it. Regular pain in the bvm when it's a 3/4 hour drive each way (in bluudy Sydney traffic)