PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke M'cycle Oil in a Mower or Edger?...

Batpig
26th November 2008, 06:40 PM
Dear Blokes,

Have any of you tried putting 2-stroke Motorcycle Oil in your 2-stroke Mower or Edger? The two variations can't be all that different - surely? I mean - they're both oil that is soluble in petrol, except you'd think the Bike stuff would be higher quality because of the extra RPM involved...

Would be good if "No Prob's", because you never see the Mower stuff go on special, but Supercheap specials the Bike stuff all the time...

Wadd'ya think?..

Many Thanks,
Batpig

NCArcher
26th November 2008, 07:17 PM
No problems.
I'm pretty sure they're roughly the same thing. Just make sure you stick to the recommended mix ratios.

damian
27th November 2008, 09:32 AM
The additive packs can be different but yeah it will work fine. In fact in the old days you'd use motor oil...

I run stihl oil in my stihl stuff, and since I don't have many 2 smoke things anymore by default it goes into everything else, but if your just running cheap garden stuff like victa then whatever's cheap. When I had 2 stroke motor cycles I used the oil in all my garden machines like lawn mower etc...went fine for years.

plunger
27th November 2008, 04:30 PM
I've always used marine 2 stroke oil in my garden 2 stroke motors (just because i've always got some from the boat)....however I bought an Atom lawn edger recently and the manual specifically said not to use oil meant for marine water cooled motors. Not sure why, but I might swap just in case.

Garry

Hobbyhorse
27th November 2008, 05:58 PM
Two stroke outboards run at a lower temperature than an aircooled motor on a motorbike or lawnmower thus they use different oils.

Rhys

Batpig
28th November 2008, 07:43 AM
Thank-you very much for the replies, Gents...

Well, 2-stroke Bike oil it is then!
As a result, I fully expect the Mower to be able to pull an extra 10,000rpm, as well as make the "...neng, neng, neng, neng, NANG! NAAANG! NAAAAANG!" sound...

Best Wishes,
Batpig.