PDA

View Full Version : NG BBQ Gas Flow - Gas plumbing help needed

Reno RSS Feed
28th November 2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry this is a long one...

Background:
We moved into our newly built house in June and have just bought a NG BBQ (Rinnai Impressor 5) We have no gas appliances or outlets anywhere in the house other than a bayonet outside by the deck for the BBQ. Therefore using the BBQ was the first time we had used the gas.

The first time we used the BBQ we noticed 2 problems;
1. we could small gas even when all the burners were turned off. ie leaking.
2. when each additional burner was turned on the flame output dropped considerably to the point that when the wok burner was on also the burners usually went out. With the lid down and all burners on (not the wok) the temperature was only 150 degrees after an hour)

We called up Rinnai service and they sent a technician fairly promptly.
Within a few days he came and found the leak (the hose that goes to the bayonet wasn't tight enough and there was no sealent glue stuff - Rinnai had fitted the hose) and he also confirmed the problem with the gas flow but said that the problem was with the gas piping in the house.

As we had had other issues with the building quality we took his opinion and called the builder who sent around a gas plumber. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there when he came and only have what my wife said; He measured something (flow/pressure??) at the bayonet point and somewhere out of the BBQ. The measurement was 1 somethings at the bayonet and 0.4 somethings out of the BBQ. It was his opinion that the problem lay with the hose between the bayonet and the BBQ and demonstrated this to my wife by replacing the hose with one of his and then measured 0.8 somethings out of the BBQ.

We again contacted Rinnai service and they sent the same tech out again. Again I wasn't home unfortunately. From the sounds of it he must of been testing how hot it gets and didn't see that I had left the plastic cleaning scrapper brush in there. Long story short, there's flames, melted plastic etc...

Anyways, we are still caught between Rinnai who say that the problem is the gas piping in the house and the plumber who says its the BBQ hose.

I rung the Rinnai helpline to ask which hose they reccommend to use and they said it should be either a Bromic or Aquaknect 20mm hose. The hose suppled with the BBQ is a 10mm Bromic 1.5m long.

Are there any plumbers out there who can offer me some advice or help me make sense of all this??

I'm a wires and current man so all this gas stuff is gobbledegook

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com... (http://www.renovateforum.com/showthread.php?t=74638&goto=newpost)