PDA

View Full Version : triangular shaped sanding pads

JDarvall
28th November 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm cleaning up some old draws at the moment.

Ideally I'd prefer to totally dissemble the piece so I can sand the parts completely, but thats unrealistic.

Want a quicker way of getting it clean all the way to the inside edges and corners.

Wonder what these things are like.
http://www.carbatec.com.au/power-tools-and-accessories/festool-power-tools-and-accessories/festool-sanders/festool-delta-sander
not necessarily the festool. just that triangluar shaped pad

Do you restoring blokes find a tool like this useful ?

imagine you still have to be careful with it. avoiding grooving an adjecent board with the edge of the sandpaper. something I've noticed happens with an orbi when I'm not focusing.

astrid
29th November 2008, 12:32 AM
what are you doing tripper?
some pics would be good, I'm sure we'd appreciate them:rolleyes:
without pics it's hard to tell what you want.
a toothbush and meths will clean up most old finishes.
leave the sander alone

artme
29th November 2008, 04:19 AM
Iīve seen the Fein inuse, brilliant toll Imagine festool woul be very goo but I donīt know about itīs versatility.

JDarvall
29th November 2008, 04:25 AM
what are you doing tripper?
some pics would be good, I'm sure we'd appreciate them:rolleyes:
without pics it's hard to tell what you want.
a toothbush and meths will clean up most old finishes.
leave the sander alone

I'm not really restoring. Its more like a heavy sanding to start afresh.

I've got a poor mans wardrobe in my shed, that my wife picked up cheap. She's asked me to do it up. So every nook and crannys full of finish and all sorts of crap. The joinerys poor, so I can do what I like with it to strengthen it and try and make it look pretty for her

I'm totally removing all the finish, because it looks odd with patches of unsanded corners etc. can't be stuffing about with toothbrushes and meth. be there forever.

My usual thing is to try and pull it apart to get as much tool clearance as possible. Some places like the insides of draws are still hard to clean right into the corners, thats why I wondering how well these kind of sanders work.

I'll get some picks latter this morning. Can't just yet.

JDarvall
29th November 2008, 06:24 AM
don't know if the pictures needed somuch. but anycase. these are draws I've done already. They were covered with varnish. I removed the bottoms and sanded everything. I've put the bottom back in.

Just mean getting into inside corners of draws and carcass. Hard to get in there. Wondering how well these sanders deal with that.

journeyman Mick
29th November 2008, 02:07 PM
Jake,
I got one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-9444-1-8-Profile-Sander/dp/B0000222XL) off ebay a while back. Excellent for getting into irregular corners and mouldings. I don't think they're available in the US anymore, let alone here. I also got one of these Bosch thingies: http://www.bosch-do-it.com/productspecials/diy/pmf180e/au/en/ for about $150 at the big B. It's a cheap knock-off of the Fein Multimaster, doesn't have the same quality or the number of attachments but is mofre than edequate for what I bough it for - trimming off skirtings etc when fitting kitchens. Makes a good corner sander. I cut up new/used 6" pads off my ROS for the little delta pads. You'll probably still need to use a chisel or scraper to get the last little bits in the corners but a delta sander will make for a lot less work.

Mick

hap97
29th November 2008, 05:51 PM
The triangular sanders are good for getting into corners and other difficult places. I have been using a Bosch Delta PDA 180 sander for many years. These seem to have been replaced by the PMF 180 Multi tool. (as referred to in previous message) Very useful. Bosch is a good economic brand and sanding pads are readily available. The Fein Multi tool is quite expensive.

The other useful sander is a random orbital sander. Bosch PEX 400
http://www.bosch-do-it.com.au/boptocs2-au/Product.jsp;jsessionid=15400C890F2B2788E347C7A4BB22CB04.worker1?country=AU&lang=en&division=hw&ccat_id=95255&object_id=5983

The random orbital sanders are more versatile than the old style rectangular orbital sanders.

JDarvall
29th November 2008, 10:15 PM
thanks kindly for the help. Get myself a Bosch.