PDA

View Full Version : Makita UC4000 Electric Chainsaw

stevew
29th November 2008, 07:20 AM
Hi There,
I recently purchased one of these to make blanks etc without annoying the neighbours.It is only just out of warranty and it is not sending any oil to the chain,have given it a quick look over ,but still no action.Does anyone have any hints or tips for the self oiling process,or links to repair pages or forums.
Thank you

rsser
29th November 2008, 09:52 AM
Pull the sidecover and bar off, trace the oilways and make sure they're not clogged.

Clean out your bar groove as well. Lube the sprocket while you're at it.

orraloon
29th November 2008, 12:01 PM
Wot he said!
In fact do it after days use.

Ed Reiss
29th November 2008, 01:18 PM
Ditto!

no matter what brand of chain saw, the oilways will clog sure as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West (unless you caught the sunset scene in the "Green Berets" where it set in the East!!):o

Seriously, you will find wood shavings pack into the openings, disassemble after the days use and clean them out. My Huskey 351 got packed so hard one time that I actually had to drill out the debris.

stevew
29th November 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the tips,however this type of Makita is a real mongrel .I have dismantled the side,have even parted the electrics from the gearbox.The oil tank is hidden beneath a casting,no way of even finding the oil line ,the only plan of attack seems to be that you dismantle the gearbox and remove all the associated gears,the plastic housing is not split at all ,made in one piece .I will put the project on hold pending someone who might have owned this model coming up with the remedy.
Thank you,if someone has a link to a repair manual would assist.
Thank You

Papa
29th November 2008, 02:32 PM
Owners and parts manuals included.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=353

robutacion
29th November 2008, 02:34 PM
Do what rsser said and do not dismantle any more of it, they are difficult machines to pull appart and put together without a few spares being left.
Try this, it works 95% of the time;
Empty the oil reservoir, put a little bit of petrol on it and give it a shake.
Empty the reservoir again and with a hair gun with a long enough nose, (make sure the compressor has enough air pressure) pointing the air gun on the oil intake hole/hose, give it a couple of good blows. If you not sure it did clear the system, put another bit of petrol into the oil tank and try to force some patrol into the hole with the air gum nozzle. Being a much liquid form, you should see something coming out where the oils runs into the chain. If the blockage is the the little "pump" near the main plastic cog (inside gear), try this last step again but this time with the motor turning, making it a lot easier for whatever is there to come out with the petrol liquid pushed with the air gun, and the piston (pump) working up and down.

TAKE NOTE: when using the air gun in the oil tank with some petrol in it, be extremely careful not to have petrol sprayed in your face, use some protective glasses. Also remember that petrol is inflammable, therefore some care should be taken when turning the motor on while blowing air into the tank with the petrol in it.
One of the safe ways to stop petrol over spray into your face, is to use piece of cloth to rap around the air gun nozzle, and at the same time block the oil tank top. For when you have to turn the motor on and blow petrol into the oil feeder system, use a heavy cloth to rap around the motor part (all the vents), and turn the whole chainsaw with the bar nose dawn (vertical) so that any petrol spillage goes down and not up into the motor brushes sparks!

Like I said, if the problem is only a blockage, this should resolve the problem, if petrol and air comes out from the oil feeder port at the chain mounting location, and oil will not come out in the normal working conditions, that means something else is failing, and in these cases the most likely candidate is the oil pump not pumping!

It sounds complicated but is not, any 10 minutes should do.

Good luck, let us know how it went...!

Cheers
RBTCO

Texian
29th November 2008, 02:39 PM
Steve,
Had similar problem w/ electric saw some years ago. Got 1 quart (about 1 liter)pressure oil can. Fill half full of chain oil and air up with compressor to about 50 psi, 3 bar, or whatever. Frequently squirt the chain with oil while saw is running to distribute the oil. Worked well for several years, until I loaned saw to a relative and it came back in a basket.