PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Aussie

LiliB
29th November 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Toymakers

Like many others, LOML was highly inspired by Aussie's beautiful coupe. At the WWW Show Melbourne, I found a book of plans for antique cars and trucks and bought it. He has made his first effort, from scraps and just to prove to himself he could do it. All bits were hand made, even the wheels, which the book said had to be bought.

I have attached some photos. What do you think? Seems pretty good for a first effort.

His next project is a coupe with a rumble seat. But first he wants to solve the problem of how to make a hidden hinge so the door opens. The books has a rather ugly butt hinge which you're supposed to buy.

Jefferson was kind enough to demo his really beautiful Vicmarc wood lathe, and I got the bug. David decided he wasn't ever going use a big lathe (mini) so I have ordered a Proxxon micro lathe, which I'm sure will make construction of special bits, like the siren and floodlight much easier, as well as being applied to other toymaking projects.

I will let everyone know how the machine performs after we have given it a 'road test'

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

DJ’s Timber
29th November 2008, 06:24 PM
WOW, that is fantastic :tongueroll:

What are the dimensions of it?

LiliB
29th November 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi DJ

Bumper to bumper 380mm running board to running board 140mm wheels 65mm

The timbers are a little rough, and next time, we'll try to get hold of some pretty timbers to provide more contrast.

Cheers
LiliB

wheelinround
29th November 2008, 06:45 PM
Lilib very impressive :2tsup:

mick59wests
29th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Lilib,

after Aussies effort this is furhter inspiration to make some small detailed cars/trucks.:D

What is the name (and author) of the book? I'd prefer a book with multiple plans. Also, how did you find the book in regards to following the plans?

thanks

Mick

LiliB
29th November 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Mick

The book he used is called "Antique Cars & Trucks you can Make" by Luc St-Amour.
There are 8 plans for various 1920s trucks and cars. It's published in Canada, and the dimensions are in imperial (inches) so the younger brigade may find it difficult to convert.

There are exploded views on assembly, and a comprehensive list of different thicknesses and suggested types of materials to use in a chart form.

The plans are generally apparently accurate, and the designs are relatively simple. But wheels, headlights and accessories are listed to buy from Canada, so you need to be a little creative in making your own.

You can see for yourself as I have scanned the cover. Gives you pictures of what you can make. I think the book was about $30.

Cheers
LiliB

AUSSIE
29th November 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi LiliB & David.Is that right?.
Great job guys,
obviously a team effort,that is great.:2tsup:
Now I am waiting to see your next one.
I was beginning to think, no-one else was into the cars.
There is also another book called"Making Toys"Heirloom Cars and Trucks In Wood .
It has several cars plus a truck that can be made as a pan or tray.
Also has several colored pages with how to make wheels and other parts.
Lots of drawings.I think it was $35
I have been Experimenting with door hinge setups.
I have been trying thin plastics as used on some cheap DVD
covers that come with Magazines etc.I have slit the wood with a hobby saw ,just deep enough to slip the plastic in & locked it from the inside with round tooth picks.I cut the plastic to size,then run a blunt screwdriver down the center to form the hinge pivot.Seems to work Ok.I am still a bit iffy on it as if it fails after car is built there is no way of fixing it.
I have been looking for the test bit and cant find it.I keep giving it a bend.
and putting it down.:doh:
I also have some very small piano hinges.I may install them between 2 laminations to make the doors.That way very little will show and be 100% reliable(well should be)
AUSSIE

artme
30th November 2008, 08:50 AM
Tremendous piece of work. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

But why are you doing the posts?

LiliB
30th November 2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Artme
LOML thinks he's too busy to access the forum. Actually, I've been harassing him to join. Haven't had any luck yet, so I'm sticking to being his mouthpiece. I guess I put him up to it in the first place, by saying 'Life is divided into Management and Labour" and he assumed (rightly) that he's labour.

Thanks for the approval. It means a lot to him.

Aussie
Although this job is a trial run, the next ones will be up to your high standards, You two ought to get together to solve some of the technical problems of building these things. David will be experimenting with making hinges too, and we'll keep you advised of what he's doing and if he's successful, we'll post the process for you.

Cheers
LiliB

RufflyRustic
30th November 2008, 10:09 AM
Hi LiliB

LOML's work is incredible and this is is his prototype????? Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of your and his work :)

cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
30th November 2008, 01:39 PM
For a hint on hinge making see Miniature Hinges (http://scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/%28Tips%20&%20Ideas%29.htm#realthing)

AUSSIE
30th November 2008, 02:55 PM
For a hint on hinge making see Miniature Hinges (http://scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/%28Tips%20&%20Ideas%29.htm#realthing)
Thanks Wheely:2tsup:Aussie

I Can Make It
30th November 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Wheelin'

I now have my own identity and can speak for myself. Poor old Lili will be silenced now.
The article you point to is very good and has lots of excellent ideas.The ideas on hinges there are similar to what I'm going to try out. I believe the hinges must be solved before I attempt to build the car.

Nice to hear from you

I Can Make it (How often has SWMBO heard that over the years?!!!)
Deniliquin

wheelinround
30th November 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi David welcome to the forum now we can really tell you the truth :D

LilliB has been a pleasure hope its not the last we see of her good to see two like minded people and helping each other out :2tsup::2tsup: Yep there should be more of it :; as long as all the shring is done in the shed...........not the Kitchen:roll:

Ray

malb
30th November 2008, 06:51 PM
On the question of hinges, there a few sizes and styles available for model aircraft that might be usefull to you guys.

1. Hinge points - two moulded plastic parts, circular cross section (about 2.5mm dia) and about 15mm long. Each part is halved (like a lap joint) at one end, one peice has a moulded pin and the the other has a recieving hole to form the hinge. Simply drill two alligned holes in the parts to be hinged, and insert hinges to one component with epoxy then epoxy hinges to the other component. In the event of a hinge failing, repairs can be effected by drilling out the plactic and epoxy and replacing. Hinge can be offset when installed to help with geometry if required.
www.robart.com/how_to/images/how%20to%20hinge.pdf (http://www.robart.com/how_to/images/how%20to%20hinge.pdf)

2. Pinned hinges - two part moulded plastic hinge similar to a miniture woodwork hinge joined with a removable metal pin. Installed in slots formed with a hinging fork, using epoxy. Normally cross drilled and pinned with toothpicks or bamboo skewers and dressed back smooth. Can be removed if required by drilling cross pins and judicious;application of heat to soften the glue. Again, can be installed with an offset if this helps with geometry. Google Dubro hinges for web info, I have tried to create a link but at the moment it keeps referencing to wwf instead of the true source.

3. Pinless hinges - similar to the pinned hinges above, but a one piece moulding with a V indent in the middle to provide a point of rotation.

artme
30th November 2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Artme
LOML thinks he's too busy to access the forum. Actually, I've been harassing him to join. Haven't had any luck yet, so I'm sticking to being his mouthpiece. I guess I put him up to it in the first place, by saying 'Life is divided into Management and Labour" and he assumed (rightly) that he's labour :U:U:U

Cheeky! :D:D

artme
30th November 2008, 07:34 PM
A personal G´day ICMI and welcome aboard. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Been afew years since I last went to Deni. 2nd ever trip there was to umpire an interdistrict cricket match. Mob of cattle on the road on the way back near Narranders and managed to bingle the side of the car when one wrong footed me.
Great littletown, but how´s it looking for water supply?

keju
30th November 2008, 10:10 PM
Oh that's absolutely georgeous!!!!!!!!
An heirloom for sure, something to be very proud of!

Juvy

LiliB
3rd December 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Artme and Keju

Firstly Keju, thanks for the praise. Much appreciated. Keeps the enthusiasm fed.
At the moment, all 'toys' have been put on hold, whilst David constructs an entertainment unit. Naturally, the next model car is well and truly chosen, and ideas are being kicked around.

Hi Artme
Deni is a traditional Aussie town, dry but full of good people. We're originally from Melbourne, and have lived here for some 15 years, most of which has been drought. We're more fortunate than many, because our Council purchased extra water allocations, and sank a bore, and this has allowed the gardens and lawns to survive a little better than other nearby towns.

There's not a lot of woodworking activity locally, so this forum is important to keeping up with what's on, as well as getting to know like minded and incredibly supportive people.

Cheers
LiliB

hornpout
3rd May 2016, 09:20 AM
this is beautiful great job

crowie
3rd May 2016, 05:45 PM
I wish both Aussie [Ross] plus Lilli & David were still making models as they were a huge encouragement & inspiration to me & my toymaking.....Cheers, Peter