PDA

View Full Version : 1930 Model "A" Ford tourer

powderpost
29th November 2008, 10:18 PM
Just for a change I gave the turning and boxes a rest and built this 1930 model A Ford Tourer. It is Queensland maple and white beech for the "soft" top. It has a dicky seat the opens and the wheels are hand made and all turn. The steering wheel is functional and turns the front wheels. It is approximately 1/12 scale. It is not really a toy, but was real fun to build.
Jim

AUSSIE
30th November 2008, 04:10 AM
Hi Jim
I think you were the one that started me on the right track to building wood cars.
Yep.Just found it 25 june 2008 it was here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=74580) Thanks so much Jim
I first saw an unfinished one at a wood show in Queenscliff (vic) earlier this year.
Being new to wood I didnt know where to start.
Thanks Jim:2tsup:
AUSSIE :aussie5:

artme
30th November 2008, 08:47 AM
Beautiful work!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

LiliB
30th November 2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Jim
Your tourer is a gem. The finish and combination of woods is first rate. Did you make all the bits? I love the wheels. If you made them, how? You've started a trend in this household, inspired by Aussie's beauty, because we are new to the forum and didn't see your original.

LOML is excited by the range of things to make, and we are only limited at the moment by lack of suitable wood blocks. The next show we can get to we will buy some turning blocks to give us that kind of range. Unfortunately my role at the moment is limited to being in charge of logistics, buying the wood, topping up the boys toys etc.

By the end of next week we'll have a hobby lathe to play with and that will open up lots more opportunities to construct objects more creatively.

Do keep posting your handiwork, because it inspires others greatly.The fire truck David made was a direct result of being delighted by seeing what others make in this forum.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

Ruddy
30th November 2008, 09:26 PM
Powderpost.....
You are to be congratulated, the A Model looks outstanding. I love the choice of contrasting woods, and the faithful detail in the wheels makes them really look like the original. I suspect you spent many happy hours making that car.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
rgds
Ruddy

AUSSIE
30th November 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi again Jim
Have you anymore photos of the Model A Roadster.?
Also how long ago did you build it?
I have seen the drawings for that car.
It looked harder than the 34 Chev to make.
Have you made any more simular cars or thinking of doing another?
Aussie

powderpost
30th November 2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the nice comments folks. That was built a while back to give the lathe a spell.
LiliB, I did make the wheels, but the process is quite long winded to even begin to describe here, sorry. Yep, I do have some more. a backhoe and a model of a mack truck with a low loader. I will have to dig out the photos.
Unfortunately, I sold the roadster, but I intend to build a utility version of the same model. My grandfather actually owned one.
Right now I am in the middle of another project so it may take a little time. This retirement phase is hard work.. :)
Jim

mick59wests
4th December 2008, 10:34 PM
Jim,
what an inspiration. If you ever get time to outline how you did the wheels I would be more than interested.
cheers
Mick

Billy
8th December 2008, 02:57 PM
please please please tell me how you made the wheels, they look excellent! Ive been making hotrods and other cars and ive been buying my wheels from toys and joys in america and theyre not cheap and the postage costs are high,ive been selling the cars at the local market ( the entrance, central coast ) and on ebay, wont make me rich but the money goes towards new tools, saving up for a mini lathe and bandsaw at the moment. top looking car, cheers, billy