PDA

View Full Version : cool gift just need some help

new_guy90
30th November 2008, 01:59 PM
hey everyone i was looking through a really old Australian wood worker mag and found a good gift idea for X-mass. im a little strapped for cash so i was thinking this would be good for my mum who has lots of jewelery, its a ring cup for well rings and earrings. heres a half sketch i made different to the one given in the mag but i like it.
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/ringcup.jpg
now hears my problem i don't know how to do the base. its all going to be made of Campha Laural but i want to glue it to a hard wood backer to screw to my small faceplate. problem if i turn it between centers and dish out the base first then im concerned the glue wont hold it when i start turning on the backer, if i make it flat, glue it and use a parting and a skew chisel to dish it out right at the end cutting into the backer it might fall before i finish and i cant leave it just flat! oh and i don't have a chuck! so any suggestions? ill post dimensions latter but its no longer than 8 or 10cm long and max 7cm in diameter

wheelinround
30th November 2008, 04:46 PM
These ideas are after you have turned the basic rough turn and shape.

how big a faceplate have you got??? if you have one at all :?

If a small one make a large by attaching a piece of Ply or MDF and tape it to it

you can make a Jam chuck do a search and you'll find one. :2tsup:

Nice shape

new_guy90
30th November 2008, 07:36 PM
yeah no probs with the face plates, im just not sure what order of cuts and stuff to make

now you mention it i might do the base, rough out the stem and then make the jam fit chuck

thanks for your input ill keep posting on this when i get started

new_guy90
1st December 2008, 10:40 AM
damn sorry just come across another "should i do it this way" the stuff i read about the friction chucks says that they are bowls but i was going to make it as a spindle, also came across that screw chucks are for side grain to (so thats why it keeps threading out! i have only used it on end grain). if the friction chuck is a spindle would it still work or should i make it out of a bowl? oh and the ring cup is going to be a spindle to

second Q for today i need to put a finish on it but im not sure what to use (i have been using candle wax :?) is there a cheap and easy way of putting a good finish on?

thanks for your help everyone hope to get on to this soon:-

Rum Pig
1st December 2008, 11:42 AM
Hi NG90

If it was me (and I'm no expert at all) I would mount the base on a face plate and turn out your cup inside and out.sand and apply finish.
Then make a jam chuck to fit inside your cup (mounted on a face plate) and use a bit of hot glue to help hold in place.
Then turn the spindle shape you you want with your tail stock in place. sand and finish.
Then remove you tail stock and shape your base. Sand and finish.

As for what finish you could use just a good oil would do if you can buy some shellawax I think I paid about $8 for a bottle but the web site has a ml at $25.30. but if you do a search on this forum on oil finish you should get a heap on info.

I hope this gives you some idea as I said earlier I'm no expert.

Rum Pig
1st December 2008, 11:45 AM
I should add that when you turn the spindle shape turn as much as the base as possible before you remove your tail stock.

new_guy90
1st December 2008, 12:43 PM
yeah turning the hollow on top does sound like a better idea as im looking around for some scrap to turn the friction chuck and well i could only find a small bit of white beach, it was very old i turned some just then and its very soft so ill have to think about it some more:?

Rum Pig
1st December 2008, 03:27 PM
Most people I know use MDF cheep and easy to get your hands on.