PDA

View Full Version : Help

funkychicken
30th November 2008, 07:26 PM
Okay say If I was wanting to inlay a map of europe into the top of a box so the sea is one timber and the land is another timber. How would I do it?

Or to rephrase that question: How do I do marquetry?

Cruzi
1st December 2008, 02:32 AM
You cut out the bits and stick them together:p

This page (http://www.marquetry.org/hows_it_done.htm) has lot of helpful info.

snapman007
1st December 2008, 08:23 AM
I don't know anything about marquetry, but here goes anyway.
Take the 2 diff timbers, 1 face side up with the other underneath it face side down. Cut the edge (land/sea boundary) on a scroll saw or band saw. Now you should have an exactly matching opposite when both are face up.

pugwash
1st December 2008, 03:06 PM
Funky,
Inlay and marquetry are two different things, Simply, marquetry is putting peices of veneer together like a jigsaw on a veneer background. Inlay is fitting the peices into a solid wood background.

funkychicken
2nd December 2008, 10:24 PM
Ok, marquetry then

JulieA
3rd December 2008, 12:37 AM
Hi funkychicken,

Trying to explain how I do marquetry in English will be a reel challenge for me. so the way I work is calling ''The Window method'' .
1- Make your drawing on a paper.
2- Trace your first piece with a tracing paper or a graphite paper on your principal veneer. You have to glue your drawing on top of the veneer to be able to flip it each time you trace a piece. Then your drawing not gonna move
3-Cut the first window inside the veneer with an x-acto (little knife with sharp blade)
4- Put the other color of veneer underneath and trace with your knife the exact replica of the piece you want following the window you already made.
5- Tape this piece with a veneer adhesive.
6- You have to cut each piece of your puzzle one at the time.
7- When it's finish (the good side will be full of withe adhesive) you have to glue the back (the side without any adhesive) and press your marquetry.
8- Remove tape, sand (150,180,220) and varnish.

Hope I've been clear, it is more easy for me to explain that in French!!!!

Good luck and show us the result when it will be done!

echnidna
3rd December 2008, 10:38 AM
Heaps of tutorials here (http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU302&=&q=marquetry+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D)

funkychicken
3rd December 2008, 08:08 PM
Well now I know. Thanks everyone:2tsup:

conwood
4th December 2008, 04:44 PM
I borrowed a book from library, and it clearly showed the tools and how to do this, with good diagrams. Can't remember the name I am sorry. Looked straight forward. Like everything else it pays the practice before you attack your masterpiece.

Log on to your local library.

cheers,
conwood

AlexS
7th December 2008, 05:41 PM
FC, have a look at the chessboard. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=85066)

JulieA
10th December 2008, 12:21 AM
Wow! your chessboard is beautiful, nice work!