PDA

View Full Version : a bit diffrent

bowl-basher
1st December 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi All
My mate accrossthe road had a "tipachina" bush/tree in his front yard for about 30 years and cut the top out of it every year forcing the trunk to grow to about 250mm in dia. with many branches that had been cut off creating almost a long burl.. last year he decided to cut it down I rescued a lump of the lower trunk and the top of the root burl with no idea of how it would turn..the large pice is still drying but I turned the smaller bit for the result below. it was turned wet(like I needed a raincoat while turning) the rough bowl was put in metho for 6 weeks and then air dryed for a further 4 weeks wraped in paper ontop of a cupboard in the kitchen
finished size is 120mm dia x 75mm high the finish is sanded to 600,2coats of n/c sanding sealer , EEE then 2coats of Glow I think it was worth saving
Bowl-Basher
the first pic is a "Tipachia" bush/tree

weisyboy
1st December 2008, 09:43 PM
nice.

dai sensei
1st December 2008, 09:45 PM
<TABLE style=" 161pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=214 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style=" 161pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7826" width=214><TBODY><TR style=" 15.75pt" height=21><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER- #f0f0f0; BORDER- #f0f0f0; 161pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=214 height=21>Tibouchina Noelene - I have used quite a bit over the years, from a tree a neighbour pulled out, nice creamy colour. Nice job BB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ad de Crom
2nd December 2008, 02:25 AM
Very neat Graham, will it warp after a while?
Ad :2tsup:

artme
2nd December 2008, 03:31 AM
Nice work BB! Plenty of features in that timber.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

bowl-basher
2nd December 2008, 07:43 AM
Very neat Graham, will it warp after a while?
Ad :2tsup:

Not sure Ad but it seemed dry when I finished it. it did move quite a bit when it was in the metho. bath in fact I first thought that I had rechucked it wrong it was so far out of round
BB

wheelinround
2nd December 2008, 08:46 AM
BB thats some beaut grain and a great looking bowl is there more of the wood yet to be turned ??:2tsup:

Never heard of the bush before is there a common name or possible other name

Rum Pig
2nd December 2008, 08:48 AM
nice job BB:2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
2nd December 2008, 08:55 AM
I think it was worth saving

absolutely! great pick up :2tsup:

bowl-basher
2nd December 2008, 10:02 AM
BB thats some beaut grain and a great looking bowl is there more of the wood yet to be turned ??:2tsup:

Never heard of the bush before is there a common name or possible other name

The thing grows all over Sydney I think D.S has the correct spelling on his comment
I still have a larger bit around 300 dia by 200 deep but I will let that dry for a few more months as I do not have a large enugh bath to put it in metho
BB

Ed Reiss
2nd December 2008, 01:56 PM
BB...good work!:2tsup:

Your not thinking of using it as a spitoon in a bar, are you????:doh::o

bowl-basher
2nd December 2008, 03:01 PM
BB...good work!:2tsup:

Your not thinking of using it as a spitoon in a bar, are you????:doh::o

:doh::doh::doh:
yep but it shows as much of the grain as I could fit in the bit of wood

dai sensei
2nd December 2008, 08:59 PM
The thing grows all over Sydney I think D.S has the correct spelling on his comment
I still have a larger bit around 300 dia by 200 deep but I will let that dry for a few more months as I do not have a large enugh bath to put it in metho
BB

It will dry on its own Ok, sometimes it has local collapses in some parts. Keep it out of sunlight whilst drying, it turns grey pretty quickly.

I finished my bowls with Glow and it still looks good, although it is not handled much. I made a few pens from it and finished with Glow, but it eventually turned grey with contact with the oil from your hands. I now finish with CA to seal it properly for pens.

bowl-basher
2nd December 2008, 09:09 PM
It will dry on its own Ok, sometimes it has local collapses in some parts. Keep it out of sunlight whilst drying, it turns grey pretty quickly.

I finished my bowls with Glow and it still looks good, although it is not handled much. I made a few pens from it and finished with Glow, but it eventually turned grey with contact with the oil from your hands. I now finish with CA to seal it properly for pens.
neil
The bit I have drying has the topof the root burl and a lot of branch/root knots I am not sure if it will survive drying there are just to many places for cracks to start but we will see I think about another 8-10 months in the shed and then rough turn
I did not think of making pens from it they would look good rustins plastic coat should seal and prevent them going grey

dai sensei
2nd December 2008, 09:23 PM
neil
The bit I have drying has the topof the root burl and a lot of branch/root knots I am not sure if it will survive drying there are just to many places for cracks to start but we will see I think about another 8-10 months in the shed and then rough turn
I did not think of making pens from it they would look good rustins plastic coat should seal and prevent them going grey

Mine is similar, nature of the beast, trimming the tree actually helps growth I'm told. Mine cracked very little, but did collapse in places, and plenty of dead bits I had to treat with CA or fill with resin (red transparent goes well, but depends on your taste). Rustins should work fine as a finish.