PDA

View Full Version : MDF Questions

garfield
2nd December 2008, 03:56 PM
G'day gang,

I just need another question answered by the pros please. I'm making my daughter a drawer unit for her desk and I'm making it from MDF. In the past when I've sanded I've ended up with what resembles a sheet with heaps of lint on it. Just wonder the best method to sand it down and what's the best stuff to use to putty the holes with as I have a few nail holes to fill in.

Thanks
Geoff

mic-d
2nd December 2008, 06:31 PM
G'day gang,

I just need another question answered by the pros please. I'm making my daughter a drawer unit for her desk and I'm making it from MDF. In the past when I've sanded I've ended up with what resembles a sheet with heaps of lint on it. Just wonder the best method to sand it down and what's the best stuff to use to putty the holes with as I have a few nail holes to fill in.

Thanks
Geoff

Hi Geoff, as you've discovered, raw mdf doesn't sand well. It's best to avoid it if possible. I have had very good results using a sharp cabinet scraper to remove dust that has settled between coats. I also found it worked better than abrasives on raw mdf. I would use a tack cloth to remove all dust before priming, sealing etc and then a light rub over with 240 or 320 grit or a scraper between coats, being careful not to expose the mdf.

CHeers
Michael

Honorary Bloke
2nd December 2008, 11:13 PM
G'day gang,

Thanks
Geoff

MDF is not meant to be sanded down. It is finished to take paint quite well as it comes from the factory. Sanding it just mucks that up. You can fill the nail holes with anything that will dry completely and take paint.

garfield
3rd December 2008, 07:18 AM
So to fill in the nail holes I can't use my wood putty as that will need sanding once dry?

mic-d
3rd December 2008, 07:28 AM
Put the filler on after the first coat, or you can try the sharp scraper.

Cheers
Michael

garfield
3rd December 2008, 08:04 AM
So I should paint it one coat before I putty. While we're on the paint, what's the best product for a primer for MDF? And the best way to fill the ends as they tend to be really thirsty.

Thanks