PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Quiz;

Ralph Jones
26th April 2004, 08:33 AM
Greetings Friends,
I am still not sure if it is morning or night in the land of OZ but, here is the first woodworking quiz of which when I post the answer, I will also install the American equivalent.

What is meant by the term of Abutment?

Respectfully, :)

DarrylF
26th April 2004, 09:05 AM
I think most of us will understand whatever terms you post - especially in context.

Mike in Atlanta
26th April 2004, 09:14 AM
Ralph, I see you're up to your old tricks... :D

A wall or barrier???

journeyman Mick
26th April 2004, 10:36 AM
Weeelll, it's either:
the reason a woman goes on a diet or to the gym (as in "abutment she needed to lose some weight" although generally this is modified to "abigbutment")
or, more likely but not nearly as interesting:
that section of wall either side of an arch which takes the side thrust of the arch as well as the normal loads the rest of the wall takes.
Not really a woodworking term, more a building term.

Mick

echnidna
26th April 2004, 11:50 AM
......its when the cops say stop!

DaveInOz
26th April 2004, 01:03 PM
My wife's elbow, used for bringing horizontal movement (in this case me on to her side of the bed) to an abrupt halt.
:D

macca2
26th April 2004, 08:02 PM
Anything that stops something going where it shouldn't.

ozwinner
26th April 2004, 08:06 PM
Realy lumpy concrete, instead of cement they added.................?

Al

echnidna
26th April 2004, 08:22 PM
Ralph,
As you can see everyone on this forum has got it right ....
have you ever had 100% success before??

Robert WA
26th April 2004, 08:45 PM
Adjacent to, the point of joinder.

In woodwork, the faces of a but (not a butt) joint.

Rob

Ralph Jones
26th April 2004, 09:26 PM
G,day Friends,
I can see that most of you are very much up on the object in question as an abutment is indeed the support structure at either end of an arch or bridge. the inter supports are called piers.

One poster questioned how it could be woodworking related. Wellll My friend, I can remember my grand father telling how they used to drive timber piling on the banks of a stream or river and then take two weeks to construct the girder truss , using king posts, braces, tenon, mortise and trunnel them together. Then they would build temporary cribbing and slide the bridge trestle or trusses across to the abutments on the other side.

Now if that ain't woodworking then you can tie me kangaroo down.

Thank you all for your support.

echnidna
26th April 2004, 09:49 PM
Golly, thats a new-fangled way to build a bridge.
We just cut some trees so they fall across the creek and fill the gaps with mud and rocks.

Ralph Jones
26th April 2004, 10:00 PM
Hello Bob,
That would be great if you had a bunch of trees growing along the creek but, very uncommon here. All timbers had to be cut and drug to the bridge location. When constructing a bridge in those days there were no stone quarries to get stone for abutments, and cement was not even considered. So the only thing for a good support was to build an abutment out of timbers.

Also hello Mike from Atlanta, nice to see you in the land down under.

Shane Watson
26th April 2004, 10:42 PM
Man, you guys have to drug your trees when you cut them! Damn thankful the greenies arn't making us use anesthetic on the trees down here! ;) We just haul the chain-saw outta the back of the ute and rip into em!

Mwahahahaha!! :D

Robert WA
26th April 2004, 11:23 PM
Ralph. You take notice of Shane, the Queenslander. If you ever get to Oz, get him to take you for a tour of the Daintree Desert.

forunna
27th April 2004, 12:08 AM
Hooly Dooly Ralph. I seem to have misplaced my buzzer.
You didnt give us much time to get our answers in.
That's exactly what I was going to say.

macca2
27th April 2004, 01:47 AM
Hey Ralph, we aint had this much fun down here since granny caught her boobs in the ringer:

:D

Ralph Jones
27th April 2004, 02:21 AM
Hey Macca 2,
LOL. you guys are a scream and I can see right now that I am going to enjoy this forum. Darned shame I had to come all the way to Australia to do so.