PDA

View Full Version : Loft Bed Idea

.:On The Rock:.
3rd December 2008, 01:39 AM
Hi there. I'm new to these forums, so I'll say a short introduction to myself as well as my main issues.

I'm a seventeen year old from Newfoundland, Canada. My father, who as an engineer, had gotten my attention at an early age of woodworking, construction and all around handywork. I've been playing drums for 10 years and I'm now persuing an undergraduate degree in music. As well, I've been developing some minor skills out in the workshop. I've built a couple of snare drums from scratch (building another as we speak), an electric drumset, a guitar and I'm even as ambitious as to think I can build a cello in the near future (we'll see about that, hah). These things seemed obvious to me as I saw fit to combine the two interests of mine.

I've been fine with my cramped bedroom at my fathers house so far; my bed and desk among other things. What I haven'y been fine with is that my electric drumset is down in my basementm which is only 6' high and floods every three months due to a random failure from the sump pump. So that got me thinking of making a loft bed as to accomidate my sleep, my desk and my drums comfortably.

But I didn't want one of those college dorm lumber messes that "only takes 10 minutes to build(!)". I wanted something that look like it belonged in my dads 90 year old town house. I saw a really nice loft bed a while back (someone from another forum's amazingly small apartment building in Finland). There are no direct pictures of the bed itself, but you can see most of the important things in these pictures:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/SushisLoftBed1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/SushisLoftBed2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/SushisLoftBed3.jpg

Now with that, and Google SketchUp at hand, I did my best at 3D rendering this bed into my cozy abode.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/LoftBed1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/LoftBed2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/LoftBed3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Scott_Newfie/LoftBed4.jpg

Keep in mind that I don't have any precise measurements at the moment, and I will probably end up building as I go. I think as long as I stick to my level, I should be okay. And yes, from the side, each stair will need more support at the front. When I sketched it, I was only thinking accross each stair, and I'm too lazy to go back and edit it. And you can also Ignore the pot lights (There is probably no such thing of one that can fit under 1.5"?).

So here are some questions which I would like you to consider and reply,

In general, how does it look?

Is 5' high enough under the bed for me sitting down and the occasional ???? scratch? The ceiling is just under 9', so this will leave about 3' up top, which is fine I think.

On both of the wall sides, I should screw it in each availible stud, with, say, 4" wood bolts. I would think that this would suffice?

The ladder/post should be fine if I just screw it into the floor, or even up through the subfloor from the crawl space in under?

Thanks.

Glennet
3rd December 2008, 11:43 PM
Looks really good. I'd paint it a light color, like the Finland one so it integrates better into the fabric of the house and that will make it lighter and seem more spacious underneath.

clare
4th December 2008, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Rock and good for you for taking on so many projects. And good for your Dad -for not just giving you the skills and confidence, but perhaps moreso, for imparting enthusiasm and interest! Great Dad:2tsup:

So here's my quick overview-Love the bed/ladder setup and your room layout looks great. I can't make any comment about height specs etc because that's not my thing, but what does jump out at me is on your drawing you have an ornate rail to create a decorative headboard. Unless this is slimline it's going to be uncomfortable to lean against-either that or take a dozen pillows to bury. Also, I wonder about the lack of any sort of rail or wotnot on such a narrow bed that high off the ground. Notice the white bed has uprights to hold the matteresse in place but nothing for the restless sleeper to hold them in place. Otherwise, it's going to look fantastic and be so much fun I'm sure. :D

Keep us posted!

5th December 2008, 04:24 AM
I think the rail should be fine. I never really sit up in bed and lean back. I would like to have enough room there to fit my glasses and a regular sized novel.

I'm still on the fence about having some type of fence there. I've never really rolled out of bed accidentally before. Although I wouldn't trust myself when I've had a few too many "on the rocks" if you know what I mean (I probably wouldn't make it up there in the first place, haha). What I might do is something a little more conspicuous, like a few decor posts of some sort.

Glennet
5th December 2008, 07:23 AM
I went on the train from Vancouver to Toronto and was surprised the top bunk didn't have a fence, but they must have thought about it and decided people weren't likely to fall out. I'd have thought as long as the side was an inch or so higher than the mattress you would be ok. On the other hand the Finnish one has made the fence into a nice design feature, and I wasn't too keen on the headboard either; but that's a matter of taste.

joe greiner
6th December 2008, 12:14 AM
On first impression, the room in Finland, as well as your design, look stunning.

Falling out of bed, over the edge, is probably a very remote possibility. I've only done it once that I can recall, and at a very young age. I was dreaming that I was seated on a sofa, when a friend came by to invite me somewhere. In the dream, I jumped from the sofa. In reality, I awoke on the floor.

A more serious consideration is replacement of bed linens after laundering. If your Mum or Dad does this for you, they should be consulted. The room in Finland probably utilises the sofa, moved away from the wall, for a temporary standing surface, to reach the far side of the bed and its ends. A bench in a similar location could serve this objective, and also provide seating for the computer station; and seating for visitors too.

Joe

6th December 2008, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I usually wash the bedsheets. I'll see how it goes, if I need help, I'll probably use my desk chair, the one with the wheels so that if I lean to the side i'm going to tumble off and break my neck.

artme
6th December 2008, 01:33 AM
Welcome to the forums Rock.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You don't mind a challenge, do you?:):)
I thnk the design looks great and will defiately make your room more useable.I agree with Joe's comments and you seem to have taken note of them.
Ju8st athought- do you have the space and possibilty to cnstruct a mezzanine floor?

6th December 2008, 01:43 AM
I don't think so. I can't see that a mezzanine would make my space more positive than negative. I don't think I would use it, and therefore be in my way.

3 toed sloth
6th December 2008, 06:42 AM
Hi OTR,

Firstly I love the steps up to the bunk. The only thing is that the stuff supporting the steps is a bit chunky and overpowering. I feel like the supports are competing with the steps for attention.

Would it be worth making the support out of metal to make it smaller and less conspicuous?:rolleyes:

Anyway, just a thought.:)

Great work with the sketch up too, I'm just learning it now and I would love to get to your level of ability.

Keep up the good work:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

6th December 2008, 12:48 PM
Hmm, yeah, I'll have to see about that. I'm not sure that it bothers me all the same.

Yeah, it's a fun prgram once you get the hang of it. Just practice and eventually it'll come. It didn't take me very long either. Try practicing a project that you've already built, that you know all the measurements and dimensions, that might be easier.

Glennet
6th December 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for making be aware of Sketchup by the way. I hadn't come across it and it looks great for furniture design, just what I need for my next project, and it's in my price range.

6th December 2008, 03:59 PM
Umm... no, SketchUp is free.

Glennet
6th December 2008, 04:07 PM
Umm... no, SketchUp is free.

Yes, that's the top of my price range.

7th December 2008, 12:22 AM
Oh haha, point taken.

echnidna
7th December 2008, 09:28 AM
Official oz/nz design standards require guard rails.

BozInOz
7th December 2008, 12:53 PM
Quick question.
How is it kept up? Support of the ladder doesn't seem enough even if it's mounted to the studs in the wall.

7th December 2008, 01:05 PM
Official oz/nz design standards require guard rails.
and...

7th December 2008, 01:12 PM
Quick question.
How is it kept up? Support of the ladder doesn't seem enough even if it's mounted to the studs in the wall.
With it being bolted to each stud, and the ladder being bolet to the subfloor, it is more than enough to hold up the weight of the mattress and me. Think of the king stud in the corner as a leg opposite to the ladder, and the studs that are nearest to the edge on the adjacent sides, are two other legs. Now you can visualize four legs on opposite corners.

prozac
7th December 2008, 03:54 PM
G'day OTR. I made a very similar bed for my young bloke around 12 years ago. The main difference is that I made a timber ladder to support the outside corner. I am unsure how an angled stair such as yours would work without;
1. Being anchored into the floor at it's foot
2. Careful calculating the stair angle.

It appears, and of-course this is the whole purpose of the design, that it is supported by a 'skyhook'.

If you do not wish to screw the foot of the stair to the floor then I would support the outer corner by stainless rigging wire as used on sailing dinghies. A wire 3/16" dia will support around 2,000lbs. It will be difficult to see so the perception that the bed is floating will be retained.

I made the bed from 19mm (3/4") mdf sheet with a veneer which I coated in polyurethane. Use thin pine fillets glued and nailed to the internal corners to secure the sheets to each other. The matress is supported on 19mm mdf with many large air ventilation holes 50-70mm dia. routed in regular rows. This sheet is supported on a narrow shelf made from mdf offcuts.

Your design works but caution with the stair.

BTW: 5' and 4' works for me, but you have not allowed the 8" or so for the depth of the bed and mattress.

Geebung
7th December 2008, 07:26 PM
Firstly, it is a great use of space, well done.

Having slept in a bunk bed as wee nipper I can only say that I am glad that I sleep closer to the floor now. Are you aware of the temperature differential? Being in a cold climate, like you are, it may be okay to sleep closer to the ceiling because that is where all the heat will accumulate. But, research (don't ask me to cite the journal) shows that it is better to sleep in cooler temperatures with around 16 deg C being the ceiling of the comfort level. Anything higher and it starts to become uncomfortable.

Anyway, don't let that get in the way of your project...good luck.

joe greiner
8th December 2008, 01:43 AM
Vertical or not, the ladder should be robustly attached to both the floor and the bed frame.

Joe

8th December 2008, 02:00 AM
Yes, I fully intend to anchor the ladder to the floor.

9th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Also, do you think that 1"x8" hardwood (oak or maple) would be fine for the sides? The ladder will be 2x8 fir, so that should be fine. I'm more worried about lateral movement with the sideboards if I do go with the 1x8. But I think with the 2x4 braces (check the last pic, I think), that lateral movement shouldn't be a problem.

joe greiner
10th December 2008, 01:46 AM
Also, do you think that 1"x8" hardwood (oak or maple) would be fine for the sides? The ladder will be 2x8 fir, so that should be fine. I'm more worried about lateral movement with the sideboards if I do go with the 1x8. But I think with the 2x4 braces (check the last pic, I think), that lateral movement shouldn't be a problem.

Side rails on floor-mounted beds are often that size. But without knowing more of your design, I'm hesitant to say yea or nay. Post a pic of your framing plan, and let some bed design and construction experts assess it, and/or offer suggestions for improvement.

Joe

Johncs
10th December 2008, 03:22 AM
Hi there. I'm new to these forums, so I'll say a short introduction to myself as well as my main issues.

I'm a seventeen year old from Newfoundland, Canada. My father, who as an engineer, had gotten my attention at an early age of woodworking, construction and all around handywork. I've been playing drums for 10 years and I'm now persuing an undergraduate degree in music. As well, I've been developing some minor skills out in the workshop. I've built a couple of snare drums from scratch (building another as we speak), an electric drumset, a guitar and I'm even as ambitious as to think I can build a cello in the near future (we'll see about that, hah). These things seemed obvious to me as I saw fit to combine the two interests of mine.

Thanks.

I have twin daughters, and about 30 years ago (they were 30 last birthday) we bought bunk beds for them.

They were wooden, and the expected four posts for the corners. In addition, the bottom bunk had a leg in the middle of one side.

The top bunk could be put straight on top of the bottom one, or at right angles across the bottom one, with the other end supported by a desk.

There were four steel dowels to ensure the legs for the top bunk didn't slip off their supports.

There was also the alternative arrangement with both the bunks on the floor. Over the years, we had them in every configuration.

The top bunk had a rail that we had on the side away from the wall, while ever it was the top bunk one side was against a wall.

There was also a pretty regular sort of ladder, made of pine, that could get one of the twins to the top.

As to the clearance for your headroom, how much you need depends on how tall you are. Given I grew 5 cm after my 18th birthday, even though I'd not grown for two years, I suggest adding a bit. Otherwise you might need to add casters of feet in a year or two.

As for flooding, consider Brisbane:) I gather it's been flooding every time it rains lately.

Finally, remember that most people here are in Australia. If we mention placenames, they're likely not in North America. For example, Texas is a small town over in the Eastern States somewhere. Perth is in Western Australia, unless it's in Tasmania. If you remember that, you might no t have so many public :doh: moments.