PDA

View Full Version : video of new tool from Finland

hughie
3rd December 2008, 11:11 AM
something different from Finland

YouTube - Hollowturning with specialtools from Finland

Ed Reiss
3rd December 2008, 12:17 PM
Now that's one hell of a turning tool !!

Good YouTube find, Hughie:2tsup: ....where can we buy one?

thefixer
3rd December 2008, 12:23 PM
It certainly leaves a nice "Finnish":D

Cheers
Shorty

Ed Reiss
3rd December 2008, 12:35 PM
It certainly leaves a nice "Finnish":D

Cheers
Shorty

(groan)Shorty, don't think you can be forgiven for that one!!!:no::no:

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 04:33 PM
(groan)Shorty, don't think you can be forgiven for that one!!!:no::no:

Yes, you are forgiven Shorty, a bit lame but I'll always pay a pun. :D

Finally managed to see the video. For what I can see, it is a round insert mounted at an angle under the bar, which reproduces the profile of a gouge. The angle of the bisel produces a scraping action instead of the shearing action of a gouge.

When all is said and done, it all boils down to progress indicating the use of inserts and everybody looking at the best ways to present them to the wood. In another ten years practice will have sorted the sheep from the goats.

Woodturnerjosh
3rd December 2008, 06:07 PM
It could just be me but it kind of looks like the Vermec shear scraper but with the scraper blade upside-down. I might try assembling mine like that and see how it cuts!
Josh

Jim Carroll
3rd December 2008, 07:22 PM
:whs:

artme
3rd December 2008, 07:48 PM
Looks good on the video .
I think it shears rather tha scrapes - look at the shavings.

robyn2839
3rd December 2008, 08:38 PM
i mounted my round insert underneath, on my jet tool and works well.bob

thefixer
3rd December 2008, 09:08 PM
Looks good on the video .
I think it shears rather tha scrapes - look at the shavings.

I'm sure that when they demonstrate their tools they are very selective about which timber they use. Even I can get curlies like that from a not so sharp tool if I use a timber with a constitution similar to that of cypress pine. But On a nice dry hardwood you will only get them with a properly used gouge.

Cheers
Shorty

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 09:20 PM
I looked at Carroll's catalogue and could not find replacement cutters for those tools, but I am sure they are available. Are they designed specifically for woodturning or are they run of the mill TCT inserts? Are they marked in any way to show their grade?

Does anybody have supporting documentation of Studley's assertion that being designed to cut wood as a sawtooth has no bearing on the cutter's performance in woodturning?

robyn2839
3rd December 2008, 09:56 PM
hi frank i got my cutters at gregory machinery got the set of three being a square,round,and a teardrop shape, made by jet,and were hss..hope this helps.....bob
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="119"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td rowspan="2" height="115">
(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/category47_1.htm)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Harry72
3rd December 2008, 10:51 PM
Its like a Sorby hollowmaster (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144967&product_id=1107452410), only the HM cutter face isnt angled(a twisted wrist fixes that).

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks Bob. If they are HSS they would blunt at the same rate as HSS gouges, would they not? Vermec and the other commercially available hollowers use TCT, if I am not mistaken.

Ed Reiss
4th December 2008, 01:54 AM
I'm sure that when they demonstrate their tools they are very selective about which timber they use. Even I can get curlies like that from a not so sharp tool if I use a timber with a constitution similar to that of cypress pine. But On a nice dry hardwood you will only get them with a properly used gouge.

Cheers
Shorty

Shorty, your absoulutly right about the wood, it definetly is green/wet....would like to see that done with one of your native woods, like Malee for instance!:doh:

robutacion
4th December 2008, 02:21 AM
There we go again...!
Another new tool for me to make and test!:D

I didn't manage yet to get any info on this tool, so that I could have a good look at its design. The big round cutters will be the only problem I see, the rest is just normal stuff. Obviously, the correct angle on the insert bedding on the shaft, is very important.

Someone will find something for sure...!

Maybe in the video, the timber was green, nevertheless, I liked what I saw!:)

Cheers
RBTCO

Manuka Jock
4th December 2008, 10:21 AM
I have seen Linden /Lime wood that looked like that .
I've not worked it , but a carver mate of mine has , in France , and he reckons that it carves like cheese .

The tool looks like the cup cutter tool , that Teknatool put out a few years ago and Woodcut marketed.
I have one at home . I can't remember the name that they gave it tho .
Only difference is the cutter being on the rake.
A bloke called Hunter (http://www.hunterwoodturningtool.com/assets/CreativeWoodJune08.pdf)is producing some now it seems , with carbide cutters .

hughie
4th December 2008, 12:24 PM
I've not worked it , but a carver mate of mine has , in France , and he reckons that it carves like cheese .

Might be interesting on an old dried out burl..................:U

OGYT
4th December 2008, 01:10 PM
Wish I could see a closeup of the end of the tool with the cutter in place. It looks like a round HSS cutter with a bevel of precisely ?? degrees, mounted at a precise ?? degree angle on the bottom of a shaft.
Experimentation time, I guess?

Jim Carroll
4th December 2008, 01:12 PM
If you look closer at the tool you will notice it is the same a s the vermec HSS 25mm cutter

As josh pointed out it looks the same as the vermerc one only upside down

The cutters are $25.00

Frank&Earnest
4th December 2008, 01:43 PM
OK my mistake. The Hunter and Munro tools allow for cup TCT cutters. The reason I thought Vermec's cutter was also TCT is because of the sentence "can be sharpened with a diamond file". I put 2 and 2 together and made 5, it happens. :)

The point still remains, though: an HSS cutter would wear at about the same rate as an HSS gouge, would it not?

Also, am I correct in assuming that a cup cutter would be slower but give a better finish than the "shear scraper"? (to me "shear scraper" is an oxymoron, but I am happy to stand corrected).

Manuka Jock
4th December 2008, 06:52 PM
Might be interesting on an old dried out burl..................:U
Stale hard cheese ? :D