PDA

View Full Version : virus warning-video new tool from Finland

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 12:48 PM
The CA security suite blocks the video because it contains a virus - be careful!

hughie
3rd December 2008, 12:51 PM
The CA security suite blocks the video because it contains a virus - be careful!

? I have AVG and theres not problem, curious must be the settings on your virus control

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 01:24 PM
Settings on virus control? Do you mean that you like some viruses so you let them pass? You might be thinking about cookies.:)

RETIRED
3rd December 2008, 01:29 PM
No probs here either.

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 01:45 PM
Screen printed, so you know what I am talking about. Sorry if it is a red herring, but better safe...

Ron Dunn
3rd December 2008, 02:03 PM
It isn't just you, Frank. I got a similar warning from e-Trust this morning, but I don't think it was on this thread.

Definitely from this forum, though.

Ron Dunn
3rd December 2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry, it WAS the thread in question. I just opened the thread again, and got the following message:

"The Actns/Swif.T was detected in C:\USERS\ROND\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\LOW\CONTENT.IE5\9PJBE5RV\L[1].SWF.
Machine: AUROND, User: SOUTHPACIFIC\rond.
File Status: File was cured; system cure performed."

Ron Dunn
3rd December 2008, 02:07 PM
Seems to be a virus embedding in Flash files:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=actns+swif.t+swf

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks Ron. It makes me a bit less unhappy about buying the CA software at the current exchange rate. :)

RETIRED
3rd December 2008, 03:41 PM
[UPDATE: Spoke with Google/YouTube and apparently anti-spyware software from Computer Associates had been returning false positives, identifying certain files contained within YouTube embed codes as malware. The specific YouTube issue is apparently being corrected by Computer Associates and wasn’t actually harmful in the first place. If you’ve got CA software, you might want to check for any updates.]

From http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/02/actnsswift-virus-affecting-embedded-youtube-vids/

Ron Dunn
3rd December 2008, 03:45 PM
That's good news. Thanks, .

Big Shed
3rd December 2008, 03:54 PM
Have not had a high opinion of CA software since they bought Clipper and proceeded to muck up a perfectly good database programming program.

Ron Dunn
3rd December 2008, 04:03 PM
I've always been a bit surprised that eTrust is our company standard at Microsoft for desktop antivirus. I guess that will change next year, though ... we've got a new product in the works.

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2008, 04:13 PM
Now I am more unhappy :rolleyes:... But, after all, better a false positive than a false negative, isn't it? :)