PDA

View Full Version : Racks for the Hilux

wayno60
3rd December 2008, 10:39 PM
ok lets see if we can get the brains trust in on this one....

project; build canopy for hilux duel cab, so only short tray.

problem; 12 foot tinnie to go on top....

am i better running two length from the canopy forward to two up rights coming up from the bullbar, or can/could i get away with a cantilever setup???

cheers

Yonnee
4th December 2008, 10:53 PM
A cantilever setup would work, it won't hurt the boat at all. And as long as you used the right sized material for the rack. You'd also have to make sure you fix the rear rack in securely, because if the front half of the boat over hangs the front rack, it going to want to lift the rear rack up and out.

Or...

What model Hilux?? Firstly get a single roof rack for the cabin section of the Lux. If yours is the model with gutter rails, then a reasonably inexpensive set of racks will do. If yours is a later model, then you can buy either a Rhino or a Rola rack in singles only. Get the rear one and fit it, and then make your racks for your tray to suit the same height as the cabin rack.

wayno60
5th December 2008, 12:22 AM
Yonnee,
yep, understand what your saying its just that im not real keen on roof racks so if i was to extend the top of the racks, say half the distance of the cab, i should be ok...
The tray is a tad under 5 foot and half of the cab, say 3 feet maybe extend it to 4 feet will give me 9 feet of racks.
18inch over hang front and back........laughin.