PDA

View Full Version : chunky rustic dining table

k956411
4th December 2008, 07:36 PM
Hey guys,

i would like to make myself a small rustic dining table (square to seat 4) and was wondering if anyone had any good plans.

it will be my first BIG project but i have a non existent budget really (big storms here destroying too much)

i was thinking of making the whole thing out of pine sleepers. i like the thought of a really chunky top and solid frame that looks rustic.

would this work or would it fail badly?

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

weisyboy
4th December 2008, 11:02 PM
you couldn't use pine sleepers from the hardware as they are treated with coper chrome arsenate and you wouldn't want that sitting in your kitchen. have you thaught about using slabs?

for a square table id use 2 slabs and then boards in the center cut teh 2 slabs in half to get 4 natural edged sides.

artme
6th December 2008, 01:45 AM
G'day k9 and welcome to our fountain of knowledge.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Carl is correct - don't get treated sleepers.
Try looking around the industrial areas for old crates and pallets, probably get them for nothing but the trouble you go to.

3 toed sloth
6th December 2008, 06:19 AM
Hi K9,

You could go for 2nd hand hardwood railway sleepers. Or try a second hand timber yard.:)Just my 2 bob.

dusty waves
1st May 2016, 09:43 AM
railway sleepers (used ones) have had a lifetime of being sprayed with all kinds of chemicals and other unspeakable stuff - I wouldn't be eating off that! :)

have a look on gumtree freebies for timber being given away - you can often find some pretty good stuff for the cost of the fuel to pick it up

NCArcher
1st May 2016, 09:57 AM
railway sleepers (used ones) have had a lifetime of being sprayed with all kinds of chemicals and other unspeakable stuff - I wouldn't be eating off that! :)

have a look on gumtree freebies for timber being given away - you can often find some pretty good stuff for the cost of the fuel to pick it up

That thread is 8 years old. The OP may have finished his table by now. Although I can think of a few WIP on here that have been going that long....... Hi Nick:fisch: :duck:

chemfish
9th May 2016, 05:59 PM
Wow, that was a pretty good zombie thread.

Christos
16th May 2016, 06:12 PM
...... Although I can think of a few WIP on here that have been going that long....... Hi Nick:fisch: :duck:

Maybe send him a link to your reply so that he can at least know that you are talking about him. :U