PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking QUIZ ;

Ralph Jones
27th April 2004, 10:40 AM
Hello Friends,
I just now got through and was able to bring this forum up on my computer.

Following is the new quiz;

What is meant by the term ARRIS?

Respectfully, :)

DaveInOz
27th April 2004, 10:46 AM
Its when you construct a cute angle in molding, as opposed to me, who is a model cute angel. :D

not sure why but thats what how it reads in the context I've seen it :confused:

Shane Watson
27th April 2004, 11:00 AM
That would be wobbling a bit of board to make a rythmic sound. First brought to the world stage by a well known Aussie named Raplh Harris and as us aussie tend to do we named it after him and then shorterened the name to 'ARRIS'........now prove me wrong! Mwahahaha.... ;)

ozwinner
27th April 2004, 11:00 AM
Its the edge formed by two 90 degree planes, like the edge of a brick, or box.

Or a boys name.

Al :D

jackiew
27th April 2004, 11:10 AM
an arris rail is one of two or more triangular rails which join two fence posts. The vertical fence boards are nailed to one of the faces of the rail ( the vertical face ). The triangular shape has two advantages, one the water runs off rather than sits on top of the rail, two it makes it harder for the local yobs to climb over your fence as their feet slip off :-)

... also a euphamism for bottom ... as in shift your 'arris ( has to be said in cockney accent for full affect ).

silentC
27th April 2004, 11:47 AM
We always used to arris the edges of glass that we cut so that people wouldn't cut their fingers on it. Then a law was passed against 'arrassment in the work place, so we had to stop.

journeyman Mick
27th April 2004, 12:16 PM
1)Noun:A very large and luxurious backside, ie: not just an @rse an arris! Usually found attached to site managers, architects, consultants etc, all those semi-important, semi-useful people one finds on a building site.
2)Noun:The junction of 2 planes meeting at 90deg
3)Verb: To remove this corner, usually with a plane

Mick

echnidna
27th April 2004, 01:48 PM
chamfer

davo453
27th April 2004, 02:20 PM
The sharp edge or salient angle formed by two surfaces meeting each other, whether plane or curved; - applied particularly to the edges in mouldings, and to the raised edges which separate the flutings in a Doric column

http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl?ww=2&w=arris

ah well so i cheated.............

macca2
27th April 2004, 02:33 PM
push, shove, bully, kick the sh..t out of, or take the edge off.

your choice

macca

:rolleyes:

arose62
27th April 2004, 03:15 PM
Am I the only one to note that ARRIS is all capitals?

To me, that says "acronym"*

"A Real Right-angle, Including Sides" - if you want to restrict yourself to angles, and bits of wood.

"Age of Revolution and Romanticism: Interdisciplinary Studies" - from some Uni.

"Alternative Realities Represent Irridescent Suppositories"?

"Andrew Rose Really Is Smart" - gee, blush, blush!

Cheers,
Andrew

*(Of, course, ACRONYM is sometimes short for
"Aroused Citizens Representing Oppressed New York Minorities".
Even though this BB is in Australia)

journeyman Mick
27th April 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by arose62
Am I the only one to note that ARRIS is all capitals?.......

I think that reinforces my meaning: "1)Noun:A very large and luxurious backside....",
obviously being in capitals it's an even larger backside than first thought. Besides, acronyms are supposed to have full stops after every letter (unless the word ends in that letter, or is that just for abbreviation?)

Mick

echnidna
27th April 2004, 05:25 PM
Hey thanks for the clue Ralph, about tying a kangaroo down
.... ARRIS is obviously Rolf's last name.

ozwinner
27th April 2004, 05:44 PM
Ralph, if you ever get the chance to tie a kangaroo down sport, just make sure its dead first.
'Cause they sure put up a good fight if they are alive.

Cheers, Bruce :cool:

Bob Willson
27th April 2004, 06:58 PM
if their alive

Oh come on LBD. You know the drill by now. :D

ozwinner
27th April 2004, 07:28 PM
What was the question again? :confused:

Ralph Jones
27th April 2004, 09:50 PM
Hello Friends,
As soon as I can get the river to stop flowing from my eyes and my sides quit hurting from laughing, I will answer this quiz.

Whoo, that's better. The answer for ARRIS as many of you have already explained is the sharp intersection of two surfaces, eg. the face and side of a piece of wood.

Thank you all for your support.

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
27th April 2004, 10:58 PM
Ahhh come fellas, be serious.... no one likes a SMART ARRIS!!

P

Ralph Jones
28th April 2004, 03:25 AM
Hello bitingmidge,
Is a biting midge what we call a mosquito up here in the USA?

Respectfully, :):confused:

Bob Willson
28th April 2004, 05:41 AM
Not fair LBD you changed it. I still have the original somewhere on my computer!:)

silentC
28th April 2004, 09:29 AM
Ralph,

We have mossies here too. A midge is some other biting insect thingy that apparently lives up Queensland way.

Down here on the far south coast we have mosquitos, march flies and sand flies.

bitingmidge
28th April 2004, 10:08 AM
Hi Ralph,

Is a biting midge what we call a mosquito up here in the USA?
Is that the woodwork quiz question for today?

A biting midge is otherwise known as a sandfly in Australia. They have also been described as "flying teeth."_ They are minuscule flies in the genus Culicoides with my "favourite" (and the most common around my place) being Culicoides Mollestus.

They are small enough to fly through insect screens and can can inflict a burning, painful bite with itching symptoms that can last for weeeks in some cases.

This
Biting Midge Link (http://www.aces.edu/department/ipm/bitingmidges.htm) is a US one which will give you a brief overview!

Cheers,

P

Ralph Jones
28th April 2004, 11:20 AM
Hello P,
Thank you for the information on the midge. Do me a favor and keep them down there, don't think I would care to get involved with them.

No the question about them was not the quiz for today as it is on down to another thread.

I think it is about Back sawn timber, I write four different forum quizzes and it gets a little hard to stay on top of them.

Yours is the only one I write after 4:00 PM my time.

Thanks again.

Barry_White
28th April 2004, 11:33 AM
I maybe wrong but I thought an ARRIS was the term for taking the sharp edge off a 90 degree corner with either sandpaper, plane or a router. As in ARRIS the edge.

But as usual I was wrong. I just looked it up in my Funk & Waganall

journeyman Mick
28th April 2004, 12:32 PM
Barry,
your F&W is out of date. Language is defined by usage, for instance the term sinister originally meant left handed and it was though that left handedness was a sign of the devil thus over time the words meaning changed. The term Arris meant, and still does, the edge formed by two planes meeting. However most tradesmen (well chippies and glaziers anyway) use the term as a verb to describe the action of removing this edge.

I was told that they do have sandflies in parts of America and that the native Indians referred to them as "no-see-ums"

Mick

silentC
28th April 2004, 12:42 PM
Yes, glass with arrised edges is definitely what we called it when we removed the sharp edge. It was done with a machine that put a 45 deg. chamfer on each edge and polished all three faces. Or you could do it with a block of carborundum.

Maybe it should be called "de-arrised".

Barry_White
28th April 2004, 12:53 PM
Mick

You misunderstood.

I was wrong the F&W was correct it says two planes meeting.

As Silent C says the term should be de-arris when you remove the corner

journeyman Mick
28th April 2004, 01:45 PM
Barry,
I stand by my earlier posting, your F&W IS out of date in not giving the other current meaning for the word. Language is not static, otherwise all lefthanded people would still be called sinister. I'm sure your F&W doesn't give 'sinister' as meaning left handed yet that is its original meaning. 'Arris' did originally mean two planes meeting, however you would be hard pressed to find many people using it on a daily basis as such. You will however, find plenty of carpenters and glaziers (and possibly other trades)using the word as a verb meaning to remove the edge. Maybe they should all be using 'de-arris' instead but they're not. In years to come dictionaries will give both meanings and eventually they'll probably drop the noun.

Mick

Barry_White
28th April 2004, 02:04 PM
Mick

I just checked my F&W and it gives four meanings to the word sinister and one of them is:- Situated on the left side or hand: opposed to right or righthanded

But it certainly only has one meaning for ARRIS and I take your point on meanings changing is on going.

Bob Willson
28th April 2004, 03:45 PM
Yes, the F&W would certainly still use the term 'sinister' to mean on the left hand. It is a term that is commonly used in heraldry to describle where items on a coat of arms are in relation to one another. It is also used in heraldry to show/say what side of the family a person comes from.

Also, about 30 years a go when I worked for Bretts Joinery Works in Brisbane, the term arris was applied to mean that the edge of the glass had been smoothed off with an emery belt to make a shape that was:

/¯\
| |
| |

On the edge of a piece of glass

Damn,I've edited this twice now and I still can't get the edges to line up properly

Kev Y.
28th April 2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Barry_White
I was wrong the F&W was correct it says two planes meeting.

IF I am not mistaken. two planes meeting have nothing to do with the arrise's, would'nt it be the domain of the air safety investigators?

Sturdee
28th April 2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Brudda
IF I am not mistaken. two planes meeting have nothing to do with the arrise's, would'nt it be the domain of the air safety investigators?

No, it would be Derek's domain because he is the expert on planes.

Peter.

julianx
29th April 2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Brudda
I think it would depend on what the two planes were meeting with, if they were meeting with two really tall buildings it would be called "a good reason to invade an oil rich country"

bob w
29th April 2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by julianx
I think it would depend on what the two planes were meeting with, if they were meeting with two really tall buildings it would be called "a good reason to invade an oil rich country"

Oh you sinister person you! Or maybe your not left handed at all.
As a first year apprentice in 1961 we "ARRISED" the timber so this "misuse " of the term has been around for a loooong time.
Regards
Bob :rolleyes:

julianx
29th April 2004, 07:59 PM
actually I remember being told to "take an arris off that timber" when I was an apprentice rather than "put an arris on" I also remember it being one of the most tedious jobs.

If the prefered term is now put an arris on, then, when told to put an arris on 500 lineal metres of rough hardwood framing the smart apprentice would simply sneak off and have a break, then tell the boss "I've checked all the timber and it's already got an arris on it"

give a lazy man a difficult job.....................