PDA

View Full Version : How much did you spend in the past 12 mths?

Wongo
27th April 2004, 12:35 PM
Home improvement projects, furniture, etc. How much money did you spend from May 2003? (Sandpaper, routers, table saws, timber, hand tools……)

You should not include any work related expenses.

Wood Borer
27th April 2004, 12:46 PM
I spent several thousand on handtools like I do every year as I don't want to stir the pot on the handtools vs power tools I won't mention what a fantastic investment I think it is!

- Wood Borer

Barry_White
27th April 2004, 01:40 PM
I've spent over $5000, but I retired at the end last June and was setting up my workshop with tools but I have now run out of money so I have to scrounge some off SWMBO if I want any more tools.

I notice a few have voted but wont identify themselves, maybe because of repercussions in the home.

jackiew
27th April 2004, 01:43 PM
... or maybe we don't want to admit how much we spent even to ourselves. ... . I tend to use the argument that what I save in labour by doing stuff myself entitles me to spend at least double that amount on tools / materials :-)

.... by the way if you guys have a SWMBO at home ... what do us girls have? HWDWHT ( He who does what he's told? )

journeyman Mick
27th April 2004, 01:48 PM
oddly enough, even though a fair bit gets done around the place most of it is a work related expense.:D There always seems to be leftover materials around with which to tackle the home projects. The only exception I can think of was 20 sheets of 15mm hardwood ply that I'm going to build the kitchen out of @ $49 ea. Of course all the tools etc are business expenses.:D

Mick

silentC
27th April 2004, 01:57 PM
I said $5000 plus but to be honest, I haven't got a clue. I'd hate to add it up. The last statement from the hardware shop was $1200. Most of that is for a bathroom renovation and a closed in balcony in the granny flat.

For tools, I have an account that I deposit a set amount into each pay and SWMPG has her account for golf sticks. She's well ahead of me because generally the golf sticks are cheaper and she has been supplementing hers by selling old sticks and kids clothes on Ebay.

My last purchase was a drill press.

echnidna
27th April 2004, 02:00 PM
I dont count it up coz I dont wanna know

Barry_White
27th April 2004, 02:01 PM
No in my house it is HTDWHW (He that does what he wants)

Wongo
27th April 2004, 02:03 PM
Barry_white, $5000 sounds a lot but hopefully you do have to spend as much once your workshop is set. I am sure that you are having a great time doing it which is the most important thing.

For me it was close to $5000. The rocking I built last September is a killer. A cool $2100 included timber, carving tools, the Accessory pack. $1000 for my semi-new kitchen. I visit Bunnings at least once a week and I always come out with something. There is always something I can buy.

journeyman Mick and all you builders out there – you lucky, lucky b******:D

silentC
27th April 2004, 02:13 PM
Bazza,

I'm sorry but the veracity of that title is not born up by your earlier post - if you are HTDWHW, then you would just TAKE the money ;)

Around here, I am HWDAFAPL (He Who Does Anything For A Peaceful Life). :rolleyes:

jackiew
27th April 2004, 02:52 PM
Bunnings is known as Mecca in my house. I'm very religious in my attendance. ( no offence meant to any moslems btw ).

Although I prefer smaller hardware shops to Bunnings where I can find them. And being female I can also additionally deplete my wallet by making a trip to Spotlight ( I have enough material/wool etc to stock my own shop ) :( Fortunately at the moment I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone ... but I recommend that those that do take the following approach. You conceal your illicit purchase for a couple of weeks and when challenged over its existence airly announce "oh that, i've had it ages" .. which is true enough to pass the lie detector test :) Well it used to work on my dad anyway!

ozwinner
27th April 2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jackiew
Bunnings is known as Mecca in my house. I'm very religious in my attendance. ( no offence meant to any moslems btw ).

OK
Map to Jackies house.....................Check
Fertilizer/Diesel...............................Check
Detonators.....................................Check
Prayer mats....................................Check
Magic carpet for quick getaway......Check
False nose/beard...........................Check

What time do we call around?

Mustava

Bob Willson
27th April 2004, 06:44 PM
9:38 tonight please Mustava. I can't get the police to come any earlier than that.

Jackview

Barry_White
27th April 2004, 07:40 PM
Silent

In everything else but the money because I can't get access to it.

Iain
27th April 2004, 08:53 PM
She thinks:
Far too much.

He thinks:
Nowhere near enough.

I'm right of course (cautiously looking over shoulder)

Robert WA
27th April 2004, 08:55 PM
Not a fair poll.

I spent time in the US in the past year and they have "BIG" tool shops over there. Do I have to include the excess luggage charges?

echnidna
27th April 2004, 08:55 PM
Around here, I am HWDAFAPL (He Who Does Anything For A Peaceful Life).

....AHHH ..... the peace and solitude of a workshop when the thicknesser is hogging out.

silentC
27th April 2004, 10:48 PM
Bob,

You mistake a peacful life for a quiet one. A peaceful life is one where you are allowed to get on with what you want to do with the minimum of domestic disruption ;)

Guy
27th April 2004, 11:52 PM
Well being self employed and what ever i but becomes mine anyway i would have spent near on $10K on tools last year, and im off for another spending speee soon once i get the cheque from the Insurance company. Some theiving brats made off with some tools in the garage, it was just a shame they took all my old crap and damaged gear. Even spotted some down smack convertors the following weekend

echnidna
27th April 2004, 11:53 PM
actually I knew exactly what you meant.

noise sometimes dissuades unwanted interuptions hence internal peace and quiet.

DarrylF
28th April 2004, 07:15 AM
The option 'I don't know, I don't want to know, and nobody's going to make me add it up' is missing :)

bob w
28th April 2004, 06:50 PM
Probably spent around $4000 with bathroom and kitchen renovation.
When we were first married I thought I had the last word at home then after the first year or so I realised I actually had the last two words "YES DEAR"
I wear the pants but the Leader Of The Opposition has impeccable taste when she chooses them for me.
Oh well
Bob:(

silkwood
28th April 2004, 10:26 PM
Silent C, doesn't SWMPG beat you around the head with her golf sticks for calling them golf sticks (or does she call your planes "cutting thingies"?)

Cheers,

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Iain
....I'm right of course (cautiously looking over shoulder)

G'day.

I always get the last word at our place.... "Yes Dear"

Joking.... does a new shed for $22k count?

I can vouch for the trick where...
"You conceal your illicit purchase for a couple of weeks... "
Also, "Winning" it in a raffel or as a lucky door prize works if it can be bought out of a secret stash.

silentC
29th April 2004, 11:22 AM
doesn't SWMPG beat you around the head with her golf sticks for calling them golf sticks (or does she call your planes "cutting thingies"?)

Golf sticks are for hitting balls, golf clubs are for playing the pokies and getting cheap drinks. ;)

She wouldn't know a cutting thingy from a drilling thingy from a banging thingy, so she just refers to anything and everything that happens in my shed as 'doing woodie stuff'. :)

craigb
30th April 2004, 05:40 PM
What Daryl said.

John Saxton
4th May 2004, 09:20 PM
Too many tempting timber auctions in my area but I reckon on about blowing about $4k on them along with replacement requirements.....still good to have an interest across all facets of the wood medium.

I reckon on "banking" as much timber as I can with retirement looming in the not too distant future,The one resource in the workshop that is becoming costly irrespective of where you live!

Cheers:)

Cliff Rogers
23rd August 2004, 10:55 PM
...I reckon on "banking" as much timber as I can with retirement looming ...

G'day.

Word of warning, just make sure it's stored properley...... ;)

I've have had white ants, borers, & tealeafs have a go at my collection... :o