PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable Raffan video's

Grumpy John
5th December 2008, 05:26 PM
Came across this site the other day. I have already downloaded the Del Stubbs video and am interested in the Raffan vid "The New Turning Wood". At over 2 1/4 hrs it's not bad value at OZ$22.50. Has anyone seen this vid, and would they care to write a brief review.

http://www.iamplify.com/store/product_details/Taunton-Press/The-New-Turning-Wood/product_id/3438

wands
6th December 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for that John, will give it a go as it is cheaper than buying the physical version.

How are those P&N tools going?

Cheers, Steve

Grumpy John
6th December 2008, 06:50 PM
How are those P&N tools going?

Cheers, Steve

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: thanks for asking.

OGYT
7th December 2008, 11:35 AM
GJ, thanks for the Website. These are some good buys in videos. I checked out the samples of a couple of them.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

rsser
7th December 2008, 11:51 AM
Just a heads-up on something similar ...

The file here is corrupt: http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/2561383-david-ellsworth-dvd-zip-file

I got the Osolnik and it's mostly about the bloke, his history and such, with a few static shots of his pieces.

Ed Reiss
7th December 2008, 01:31 PM
'Ern....what would you like to know about Rude? We lived in the same town for ten years.:U

OGYT
7th December 2008, 02:12 PM
Ern, understand where you're coming from. It'd be the pits to get a video, thinking it was going to teach you something about turning, and it just an interview with the turner and shows a few of his pieces. That's the way the Sam Maloof video is, too.
I hope these aren't like that, because I plan to purchase some of them. I may try just one, first. To see.

Grumpy John
7th December 2008, 02:33 PM
Ern, understand where you're coming from. It'd be the pits to get a video, thinking it was going to teach you something about turning, and it just an interview with the turner and shows a few of his pieces. That's the way the Sam Maloof video is, too.
I hope these aren't like that, because I plan to purchase some of them. I may try just one, first. To see.

The Del Stubbs video is good value, must be at least 20 years old though.

rsser
7th December 2008, 04:09 PM
Small world Ed. The only reason for the download was that I had posted pics of a couple of bud vases on WoW a while back and they got photo of the day. The mod said they were in the style of Osolnik, whom I'd never heard of so it seemed a good idea to find out what that was.

Al, if the vid had more of his work I would've been happy, and you can learn something too from how a craftsman approaches his work and conceives of it. That's why I ordered the Ellsworth (corrupt) vid ... I'm not particularly a fan of his carved forms but there's something about the guy that's compelling.

masoth
8th December 2008, 02:17 AM
I purchased the Stubbs' turning videos. He moves too fast for any 'beginner' and his explanation also assumes the watcher has more knowledge than is likely.

soth

Grumpy John
8th December 2008, 10:09 AM
I purchased the Stubbs' turning videos. He moves too fast for any 'beginner' and his explanation also assumes the watcher has more knowledge than is likely.

soth

Soth, it's a shame you were disappointed with the video considering how much trouble you went to to watch it (Computer Forum). Don't despair though, I still consider myself a learner but never cease to be inspired by the likes of Raffan, Ellsworth and quite a few of our forumites TTiT in particular. Keep watching it mate, the penny will drop and you'll be thankful you persevered.