http://www.woodturnertools.com/default.asp

Manuka Jock
6th December 2008, 12:07 PM
Some different looking tools there .
The one on the front page has the look of a carver's fish tail chisel

Gil Jones
6th December 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Hughie,
Interesting tools, but (unless my old eyes are getting worse) I found no mention of the type of steel used in the tools, except that it is "durable".

OGYT
6th December 2008, 12:38 PM
Stacey Hager was one of the demonstraters at the SWAT symposium last year. I think he demo'd making some tools... I didn't attend it... maybe I should have. :)

robutacion
6th December 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Hughie,
Interesting tools, but (unless my old eyes are getting worse) I found no mention of the type of steel used in the tools, except that it is "durable".

Hi Gil,

Actually it says what they are made from/of, as you click on each individual tool type.

This is all very timely, with the recent discussion on modern technology and design of tolls for woodturning. This is very much and example of that, already. TCT tipped turning tools are just one of the possibilities, this guy appear to have invented a special tempered metal, maybe a replacement of TCT tips?.
Reading carefully, you find that most of his tools are pre-sharped and some never need sharpening. This mean that, either the complete tool (shaft) composition is made of a new engineered metal, or he uses a special sharpening and tempering techniques, that can only be matched by himself, reason why he is requesting the return of the tools for recycling.

I have no doubt that for these tools to be on the market as they are, they have been tested and proved efficient, the question is always the same, will they cut well the timbers we have (I use)?, is the tool shape and construction and advantage to me? are the new sharpening designs an improvement to me?, Is the whole tool set up (handles (sizes), tool shafts (sizes and shapes), a good investment or something that I can afford it?, is the returning (recycle) policy system viable, cost wise and turn around time?

I hope that if one day I am to invent something, to be something like this, that means, can't copy,(sorry Craig!) want to know how good they are and/or how good the work for you, you have to buy the original, (no buts...!). Metal tempers and composition will be always a inventor secret.:q:cool:

Do I like the design and style? yes I do. Can I afford it? I doubt...!. Do I like the idea or no sharpening any more? yes and no...! (as much as I get annoyed to keep sharpening the same tool for the same piece of wood, I am a older timer when it comes to tools sharpening and its "secrets. I started learning from a old master carpenter when I was 8, 42 years later, I'm still learning...!. OK, I will never lose that knowledge and experience, so not sharping as much (when new tools are used, only), it sounds a good idea. Australia, particularly has some tough timbers to work with, for whatever reason, these type tools can only be an advantage, regardless if one can afford them or not!

I shall ask a few questions to the inventor, and satisfy my curiosity if nothing else..!:o

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

rsser
6th December 2008, 04:54 PM
A curious collection of 'turners' tools.

What's M7 consist of?

btw, Craft Supplies have HTs on sale.

Course when you add postage and account for the exchange rate ... :(

Frank&Earnest
6th December 2008, 08:27 PM
What's M7 consist of?

Google is your friend. :)
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/M7.asp

rsser
7th December 2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks F& E.

From the site:

M7 is one of the High Speed Tool Steels in the molybdenum alloy family, with tungsten, chromium and vanadium for strengthening. It has good hardenability and is very wear resistant.

M7 is widely used for cutting tools in machining operations.

Does this suggest it's mainly for working metal?

OGYT
7th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Ern. That's interesting. If it'll cut metal, surely it'll cut timber. :)

artme
7th December 2008, 11:44 AM
Just apoint on M7 and other "tough" metals that will cut steel and therefore cut wood.

The conditions for cutting wood are totatally different to those for cutting steel. Steel cutting is done useing a coolant, something you can't do with wood.

rsser
7th December 2008, 11:48 AM
... unless the wood is green and so has in-built coolant ;-}

Gil Jones
7th December 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks, RBTCO, I looked back and found the M7 steel reference on one item, and it should be more prominent in the article.
Anyway, here is a good bit of M7 data if anyone is interested. http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/prodbyapp/highspeed/rexm7n.html
I dug through my box of old metal working tool bits, and found bunch of Rex AAA tool bit steel in 1/2" and 3/4" square by 5" long blanks, plus other stuff, but no Rex M7.
Here is a very good list of tool steels and their data >> http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/selectorindex/selectorindextitle.html

rsser
7th December 2008, 12:30 PM
Interesting data Gil.

M7 would seem barely to have any advantage over M2: http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/general/generalpart5.html

while CPM 10V, which Doug Thompson uses for his tools, would:
http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/general/generalpart6a.html
(apologies for duplicate post).

Crucible reckon: The exceptional wear resistance and good toughness of CPM 10V make it an excellent candidate to handle abrasive plastics. It can replace carbide and other highly wear resistant materials where tool toughness is a problem or where cost effectiveness can be demonstrated.

Gil Jones
7th December 2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Ern,
I have not purchased any turning tools from Doug yet, but I sure would like to test his turning steel soon.

Ed Reiss
7th December 2008, 01:22 PM
... unless the wood is green and so has in-built coolant ;-}

...or if you drank a 6 pack of "coolant", then you wouldn't give a rats a**:doh:

rsser
7th December 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Ern, I have not purchased any turning tools from Doug yet, but I sure would like to test his turning steel soon.

Yeah, maybe Santa will think you've been nice this year :wink:

I've started using his 5/8" V bowl gouge. First application was turning the epoxy out of the bottom of Thumbsucker's roughed out bowl :oo:

After a few licks with a diamond hone it was ready to go again. Did a lot of the roughing on the green Silky Oak bowl posted in another thread. The tool has good heft and is well finished. It's too early to tell how well it performs on hard dry timber which was the main reason for getting it.