PDA

View Full Version : Just the top to go

Glennet
6th December 2008, 03:37 PM
The base is done apart from polishing etc. The top is birds eye maple veneer and will have a jarrah surround to match the drawer fronts and trim panels.

The design is from Woodwork Magazine but I put in a center drawer; their design had a pull out shelf for a keyboard. I didn't want the desk to be technology specific. I used Hafele inset drawer slides, really impressed they have zero play so I could use minimum clearance between the drawers and front.

It really stretched my skills, and there are a few things I would do different next time but basically I'm pleased with it. I have the veneered panel for the top but they veneered it onto a larger MDF sheet so I'm having a good think before I attempt to cut it to size.

artme
6th December 2008, 11:23 PM
You should be well pleased with your efforts Glennet.That is coming along nicely.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Claw Hama
6th December 2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, looks good, love to see it with the top on.

Thornburn
9th December 2008, 08:19 AM
Glen,

Well done. I like the contrast in the timbers you've used. I look forward to the final result. Nice job

Thornburn

Glennet
19th December 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm pleased with the top as a top, but the banding doesn't match the desk. They are both jarrah and look virtually identical in the raw but completely different when oiled. Next time I'll know to use the same plank and check the coloring.

Also the square edge on the top looks too heavy for the style of the base.

Anyway I need another table so my next projects are a new base for the top and a new top for the base.

Christos
20th December 2008, 03:37 PM
I like what you did.

Miranda
25th December 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm pleased with the top as a top, but the banding doesn't match the desk. They are both jarrah and look virtually identical in the raw but completely different when oiled. Next time I'll know to use the same plank and check the coloring.

Also the square edge on the top looks too heavy for the style of the base.

Anyway I need another table so my next projects are a new base for the top and a new top for the base.

Yeah i agree. But you learn from every experience :)
Overall, its looking nice.

Glennet
25th December 2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah i agree. But you learn from every experience :)
Overall, its looking nice.

Thanks, the way I see it, if I ever stop learning it won't be a hobby it will be work.

artme
25th December 2008, 07:10 PM
Lovely result Glen despite your self evaluation.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

AlexS
26th December 2008, 09:21 AM

Are they really different, or is it just a difference in reflection due to the different grain orientation? That's something you may be able to be able to minimise by using a woodgrain filler.

Glennet
26th December 2008, 10:12 AM
Are they really different, or is it just a difference in reflection due to the different grain orientation? That's something you may be able to be able to minimise by using a woodgrain filler.

Yes they are noticeably different, and it doesn't look right at all.

It wasn't noticeable before I put the oil on. I compared two bits of raw wood and they were virtually identical. Now it is oiled it is too late to try and change the appearance because it is glued to that delicate light colored veneer and I'm scared of damaging it.

It doesn't really matter anyway, because I need another table and I have already started making the new base for that top. When the silly season is over I should be able to locate some matching birds eye maple for the new top, and I'll make sure the trim matches before I assemble it.

Just a useful lesson for the future!