PDA

View Full Version : Glaser Hi-Tec Tools

Baz
27th April 2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys, I have been contemplating buying (splurging) a Glaser V15 bowl gouge, I figure if they are as good as they are supposed to be I shouldn't have to buy another one. So if anyone has any experience with his tools your comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Barry:)

Little Festo
28th April 2004, 09:40 AM
Hello Baz,
I've got a 12mm Glaser gouge. I think it's great. It took me a while to get used to the grind. It can take off deep cuts and fine finnishing cuts too. It seems to hold it's edge pretty well, a better than my Hycut bowl gouge. I got it with the aluminium handle - with some lead shot inside the handle. It is comfortable to use and well balanced. It's possibly one of thoses things you may need to get used to but I find it to have a nice feel when using it.

I did notice that several of the turners demonstrating at the Tambourine turnfest were using the glaser bowl gouges or gouges with a similar grind. I purchased mine about 6 months ago and wasn't too sure on how to present the chisel to the wood so I took a close look at some of the demonstrators and have really become quite confident when using the tool now. Whether the Glaser is worth the extra cost - I'm not sure BUT I really do like using the one I've got. It's a nice tool, it cuts well, holds it's edge well and feels good in the hands. The eyes did water a bit when I paid for it BUT I think it was worth it.

Peter

Baz
28th April 2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for the info, which steel did you get the A11 or V15 ? The grind doesn't worry me if I dont like it I will regrind it to my style. I doubt I would get an aluminium handle, I have made a couple of timber handles and drilled them out and filled them with lead shot. I thought if I spent that much money on a gouge I would make a decent handle for it out of a piece of Ebony that was given to me many years ago. :D

Cheers
Barry

Little Festo
29th April 2004, 09:21 AM
Hello Barry,

I got the V15. I originally ordered it without the handle but it came with the handle fitted ( I think it may have been for another customer - and we couldn't get it off. I succumbed and bought the handle too as it felt ok).

Peter