PDA

View Full Version : Damn #@**#!

Woodlee
6th December 2008, 10:43 PM
Dropped the mitre saw from my Stanley Mitre box today ,had to land on the point of the tote didn't it ,bloody tote shattered into four pieces .
Got it jigged up and glued with Sellys Resourcinol glue should be ok minus a few chips near one of the joins.
Will have to look for a nice piece of timber to make a new one.

Kev.

BobL
6th December 2008, 11:03 PM
Dropped the mitre saw from my Stanley Mitre box today ,had to land on the point of the tote didn't it ,bloody tote shattered into four pieces .
Got it jigged up and glued with Sellys Resourcinol glue should be ok minus a few chips near one of the joins.
Will have to look for a nice piece of timber to make a new one.

Kev.

Bugga!

m2c1Iw
6th December 2008, 11:24 PM
And of course you said "oh bother":D

This is why I surround my bench with dust attractors (carpet offcuts) as a precaution for my clumsiness. They work well and often :rolleyes:

wheelinround
7th December 2008, 10:59 AM
:doh::rant::worthless:

Woodlee
7th December 2008, 10:27 PM
LOL Ray ,

She's all glued up mate ,let it dry over night .
Took it out of the jig this morning and fitted it straight back onto the saw ,scraped some of the excess resin glue off as I wanted to use it to mitre some hardwood edging for the top on my new thicknesser bench .
That's what I was doing yesterday ,decided I would move the mitre box to the out side bench as it was cooler and breezier , and as I picked up the mitre box the saw slid out backwards .Tote crashed into the floor and shattered into four pieces.

Will sand it back later and refinish it .But now I have an excuse to buy some nice exotic timber to make a new handle ,maybe some Bubinga or African Blackwood or Walnut maybe :D:D:D sshhhh!!! not too loud.

Speaking of glues
I have had the Sellys Resourcinol glue for a long time ,this stuff is brilliant ,I paid a premium price for it if I recall ,some $80 or $90. I wonder if it's still available ?Ill do a search ,Google of course.
I remember when I was a young fella I used to spend a lot of time with my Grandfather ,he used a powdered glue called Cascoe , he mixed it with water and it was very strong ,The label on the tin had two horses pulling back to back trying to break a part two pieces of timber ,supposedly glued to gether with this glue.
He built a couple of wooden framed caravans ,and used this glue in thier construction .
Anyone remember this stuff and is it still available?

Kev.

wheelinround
8th December 2008, 07:12 AM
LOL Ray ,

She's all glued up mate ,let it dry over night .
Took it out of the jig this morning and fitted it straight back onto the saw ,scraped some of the excess resin glue off as I wanted to use it to mitre some hardwood edging for the top on my new thicknesser bench .
That's what I was doing yesterday ,decided I would move the mitre box to the out side bench as it was cooler and breezier , and as I picked up the mitre box the saw slid out backwards .Tote crashed into the floor and shattered into four pieces.

Will sand it back later and refinish it .But now I have an excuse to buy some nice exotic timber to make a new handle ,maybe some Bubinga or African Blackwood or Walnut maybe :D:D:D sshhhh!!! not too loud.

Speaking of glues
I have had the Sellys Resourcinol glue for a long time ,this stuff is brilliant ,I paid a premium price for it if I recall ,some $80 or $90. I wonder if it's still available ?Ill do a search ,Google of course.
I remember when I was a young fella I used to spend a lot of time with my Grandfather ,he used a powdered glue called Cascoe , he mixed it with water and it was very strong ,The label on the tin had two horses pulling back to back trying to break a part two pieces of timber ,supposedly glued to gether with this glue.
He built a couple of wooden framed caravans ,and used this glue in thier construction .
Anyone remember this stuff and is it still available?

Kev.

I recall the tin with he Horses on it thats about all

AlexS
8th December 2008, 07:21 AM
Sounds like Cascamite glue. Not sure if it's still available, but there are a few references to it around.

Woodlee
15th December 2008, 11:02 AM
Sounds like Cascamite glue. Not sure if it's still available, but there are a few references to it around.

Did a bit of googling
The glue is made from Casein , a milk by product .
Seems its still available ,maybe not here in Oz ,but certainly in the US and maybe the UK.
It's now sold under the Elmers brand in the US .
Here's a pic of an original advertisement .

Kev.