PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for multiple gift making

Tiger
7th December 2008, 08:55 AM
I have just finished working with a group of terrific people about 10 male, 10 female. I'd like to make each of them a small woodturning gift. 20 is a lot but if it's small, I should be able to cope. Any suggestions on what to make?

RufflyRustic
7th December 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Tiger,

What was the project about?

Small figurines, or chess-type pieces come to mind, even just shapes - each one separate by itself, but put the 20 together and they make a set

Or, following the same theme, a 20 piece jigsaw, each piece has the person's name on it. That would probably be better as a wall hanging if you all worked in the same spot/site/office.

Pens - obvious answer

How about little lidded boxes - toothpick holders?

Penholders for their desks? Small Vases for the ladies?

Hope this sparkes some more ideas for you

cheers
Wendy

tea lady
7th December 2008, 10:36 AM
Turned wood necklaces? (For the women.:rolleyes:)
Pen holders for the desk? (Little tumbler type thing?)
Keyring?
Small lidded vessels?

:hmm: :shrug:

OGYT
7th December 2008, 10:54 AM
How about Spurtles for the ladies... with a note explaining what it is; and toothpick holders for the blokes?

Manuka Jock
7th December 2008, 11:07 AM
How about Spurtles for the ladies... with a note explaining what it is; and toothpick holders for the blokes?

Men cook porridge too Al :p

Tiger,
how about conversation pieces.
Throw a lump of wood on , and see what comes off .

Ed Reiss
7th December 2008, 01:58 PM
Potpourri bowls for the lasses and wine bottle stops for the lads:2tsup:

funkychicken
7th December 2008, 02:03 PM
Pens would be the easiest answer. Pens are good because you'll know that your gift will be used and not stuck of a shelf and they're not too hard to make

joe greiner
8th December 2008, 01:11 AM
Birdhouse earrings for the lassies ( http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=57866 ).
Keyrings or small boxes for the lads.

Joe

munruben
8th December 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I'd go along with pens. suitable to both sexes and useful too.

bowl-basher
8th December 2008, 04:43 PM
Small tea lights are allways well recived by both men and the ladies
Bowl-Basher:D:D

Rum Pig
8th December 2008, 04:55 PM
Cheese knife always go down well with the woman folk or other kitchen utensils i.e. pickle fork. Men bottle stoppers or pen,cork screw.

What you properly should do is look up your nearest turning supplier and see what he/she has to offer.

If you do not wish to buy bits and bobs you could turn some cups, I recently did some no Fancy stuff just a tumbler cup and they went down a treat.

What ever you do they will love even if it is just a mini baseball bat.

Anne Munro
9th December 2008, 11:28 PM
As already said pens are good but key rings take half the time i.e. 20 key rings would take the same time as 10 pens. They are very useful for both males and females and are always appreciated.

Tiger
16th December 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks, guys and gals.

Wendy, it was a teaching assignment which was fixed term.

Great ideas and so creative, keyrings is something that didn't come to my mind but is doable for me.

Once again thanks to all of you.

Chipman
16th December 2008, 08:57 PM
How about small bowl with chocolates in it?

Cheers,

Chipman