PDA

View Full Version : Gift for baby

wm460
7th December 2008, 09:38 AM
My sister has just had her first baby and am wondering what I could make for a gift. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.:2tsup:

cellist
7th December 2008, 11:03 AM
My sister has just had her first baby and am wondering what I could make for a gift. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.:2tsup:

If you go to my website, you'll see some images there of baby rattles I made for just that purpose. You can shape them any way you want to, but the basic concept is to re-saw a piece of timber, hollow out a chamber, and then put in some ball bearings before gluing it back together. You could also drill a piece of wood out and make a plug to insert.

Ball bearings were purchased at a (surprise, surprise) bearing shop, 3mm ones being sold in bags of 100 or 1000.

When you have sanded the things so that they are actually smoother than the recipient's bum, you finish them with a non-toxic finish. I use pure orange oil, as it smells (and probably tastes) great.

Have fun!
Michael

OGYT
7th December 2008, 11:07 AM
Since she's your Sis, spend a little time, and turn a large round bowl that will hold a fullsize coffee can. Then make her some baby wipes to go in the coffee can.
Baby wipe recipe: 2 tablespoons Baby Shampoo or Baby Wash - 2 Tablespoons of Baby Oil - 2.25 cups of distilled water. Cut a roll of paper towels in half, take out the tube, Put a half roll of paper towels in the coffee can. Pour in the mixed-up liquid. Cut an X in the plastic lid of the coffee can and pull the first towel from the inside of the roll, and stick it out through the X. Put the lid on.
With the coffee can in the bowl, the lid would be the only thing showing at the top.
Her Majesty uses these homemade wipes when she sits with the great-grandbaby. All the new Mothers in my family love these things. Cheaper, and better.
Just an idea.
PS: Don't cut the X in the top. It'll let 'em dry out. I didn't even know she stopped doing that. :(

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2008, 11:07 AM
Baby Rattle :; 90741

tea lady
7th December 2008, 11:40 AM
Found some great Danish designed toys.:cool:

Turned teddy, or elephant or monkey (http://www.greatdanefurniture.com/KIDS.aspx).:cool:

Lots of little wooden birds. (http://www.inhabitots.com/2008/06/16/wooden-danish-birds-by-kristian-vedel/):D

A funny duck on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fab-Vintage-Modernist-Painted-Wood-Duck-Toy-Denmark-50s_W0QQitemZ110320196241QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081201?IMSfp=TL081201131004r32195).:U

Ed Reiss
7th December 2008, 01:56 PM
Baby Rattle...instructions at following web site:

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/projects/rattle/rattle.html

thefixer
7th December 2008, 09:00 PM
I have no useful ideas, just wanted to show off a little:B I made this for my first grandchild due in april. It's sort of valid for the turners forum coz I turned all the spindles for it. And yep, that's my ugly dial in the background:D

Cheers
Shorty

Bazzmate
7th December 2008, 10:09 PM
Wall letters are the go. I don't know about the babies (I haven't heard any complaints:D) but Mum's love 'em.

NeilS
9th December 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi wm460

All the babies in the family get something like the attached captured ring rattle. Apologies for the quality of the photo. Not a very good example that didn't even get to the sanding stage, actually an early prototype reject that I still happened to have about the place. Never bothered to photograph the successful ones as they are just something I do for family and friends. They also double as teething rings.

They are a bit of fun. The parents usually ask how I managed to make the rings and I usually reply that the rings were easy enough but squeezing them onto the handle is the difficult bit...:D

Later versions became more elegant as I became more confident that they were robust enough to withstand being dropped and chomped upon. Hardwoods make a better rattle noise but are heavier. Fruit woods are good. The handle diameter needs to be quite small (about 1/2") for small hands to grasp.

Neil