PDA

View Full Version : Konk Berry

bowl-basher
7th December 2008, 07:55 PM
:?:?Hi all
I was was given a bit of this fantastic timber and would like to find out a bit more about it
I rember TT comenting that it was one of his favorite wood's and now I know why the colour and grain is like nothing I have ever worked with
But to my question........ What is the correct name for this timber as I can find no refrence to konk or conk on google or any other search engine I know the learned wooddies of this fourum will have the answer
Thanks
Bowl Basher

robyn2839
7th December 2008, 08:25 PM
Carissa lanceolata, (conkerberry) , 1 word will help with search...bob

bowl-basher
7th December 2008, 09:36 PM
THANKS makes a diffrence when you spells it proper
BB

texx
7th December 2008, 09:43 PM
when i was a kid growing up in the UK we played a game called conkers it was played with of course a conker which was the seed from the chestnut tree .
i wonder what the connection is ????

my knuckles and elbows are hurting now just thinking about conkers , any other retired conker players in here

artme
7th December 2008, 11:10 PM
G'day BB. Conkerberry is indeed fantastic tmber to work with. Dense,tight grained and turns like cheese. Mind you I've never turned cheese.

Wonderful for pen making, butter knife handles etc as it is difficult to obtain in larger sizes.
Grows In drier parts of Qld. and is not a very large tree.Also retains bark when seasoned adding to its versatility.