PDA

View Full Version : Colour cast to Reds on Fuji S8000fd

LiliB
10th December 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Fellow Snappers

I was taking a photo of a scroll sawn box David my husband made, and noticed that the red lining was distinctly purple through the viewfinder. The photo did indeed come out purple. I have noticed the Fuji has problems interpreting reds, and as I am a rose lover, photos of roses need to differentiate well between colours in the red spectrum.

As I had used a dark blue laminex background, I thought I'd try a sheet of white paper as the background. The colour came out true to life. See attached photos, a picture being well and truly worth a thousand words.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and what, if any, solution there is in terms of settings or some other trick.

Cheers

LiliB
From the lovely Riverina
:U:U:U

Master Splinter
10th December 2008, 07:22 PM
This does appear to be a problem with that model Fuji clipping strong reds -

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms8000fd/page5.asp

You may be able to overcome it by setting up a custom white balance (check your camera manual for specifics, but typically it involves taking a pic of a white card and telling the camera 'Yes, this is white!') ...as that blue laminex looks like it has come out grey.

LiliB
11th December 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi Master Splinter

Food for thought. I set my custom white balance, and it didn't affect the outcome when I had a strong or contrasting background. The camera still 'saw' purple. I then tried putting a white sheet in front of the lens and focusing on it, moving the camera quickly to the subject, and the result was okay.

I guess I'm not going to have the luxury of firing away at red objects with auto. I might have to carry a suitably sized 'white card' with the camera for such situations.

Wish I'd read the DP review before I purchased. I'm usually more careful, but was irritated with the limitations of the Canon S1 IS I bought, and on this rare occasion, I just jumped in. At least the review confirms what I suspected, that the colour cast is an inbuilt limitation.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U