PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the Sydney WWW Show?

silentC
29th April 2004, 05:00 PM
Who is going to the Sydney Working With Wood show? It would be a shame for a heap of us to be in the same place and not meet up somewhere.

Wongo and I are going to meet for an arm wrestle after which I'm going to let him buy me a beer. If I could convince 4 or 5 other people to do the same, well I would just about be under the table :D

I thought it would be good to be able to put a few faces to a few names. For some of us, I expect that will be a much less pleasant experience than for others - maybe we could all wear dark glasses.

Anyway, if you're planning to go, let us know what day/s and maybe we can arrange something.

Maybe we could make it a competition against these other states - sort of "My Wood Show Rules". C'mon Sydney!!

Grue
29th April 2004, 07:49 PM
I try to get there every year. Flexible about a meeting, whatever suits the majority. Not many kids there on the first day though, and you get first dig at the good stuff!

Glenn

outback
29th April 2004, 07:56 PM
I have a major work thingy on the same week, but if it all goes well, (or I guess really bad), I intend to attend, tending towards later in the show, but like Silent, would like to put faces to names, so I would try to work in, especially if alcoholic beverages are involved.

AlexS
29th April 2004, 09:44 PM
Will be there...also looking to catch up with some familiar names. I'llprobably go on the first day.

DarrylF
29th April 2004, 11:08 PM
I'll be there - would be good to put some faces to the names :)

I haven't decided which day - but the Friday is probably out of the question, bit hard to ditch work :)

I'll probably be there from 10 on the Saturday. End of the Sunday is sometimes good if you want to pick up some larger stuff - they're a bit more flexible faced with packing it up and taking it back vs selling it off. But on the other hand the bargains on the smaller stuff are usually sold by then - and I'm mostly looking for smaller stuff, so Saturday it is I guess.

So if a few people want to meet - say at the UBeaut stand - set a time and I'll be there.

silentC
29th April 2004, 11:36 PM
I've been informed tonight that I'm going on Sunday. Apparently we have to go to the races on Saturday to get drunk and lose lots of money, so no joy there.

If you guys are all going to be there Saturday, go for it. I'll catch up with you next year.

If anyone's there on Sunday, I'll be the one with the hungover look and empty pockets. Nothing to do with the races, I look like that all the time....

DarrylF
30th April 2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by silentC
I'll be the one with the hungover look and empty pockets.

Yeah, we can see that from your photo :D

How about we just make it whoever turns up and wants to say hi on each day turns up to the UBeaut stand at say noon?

silentC
30th April 2004, 11:40 AM
And that was taken on a good day ;)

How will you know who's a forum member and who's an ordinary punter?

Reminds me of something that happened to a friend's father. He's 80 years old and very fit. He was a bit bored sitting around at home, so he decided to get a job. The local nursing home was looking for a driver to take people around the place for appointments etc. In most cases, he was older than his passengers!

One day, he picked up a lady and took her to a doctor's appointment. He agreed to meet her at the bus stop in one hour. When he came back, he sat down to wait. There was a lady sitting next to him. After about 15 minutes, they got talking. She was waiting for this nice man to pick her up and he was waiting for a lady to finish her doctor's appointment so he could drive her home. The penny dropped.

Wongo
30th April 2004, 12:12 PM
I am flexible but since I am going to buy Darren a beer so I will go on Sunday.

What about 11am Sunday 6th June? (Or 12am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm) at the UBeaut stand.

Put your hand up if you are coming

Zed
30th April 2004, 12:24 PM
I'll be there on one day or the other - at the Ubeaut stand. now about recongnition... how do we recognise each other ? do we do a secret handshake or strategically carry around some item that is identifiable (eg a No 5 Lie Neilsen ????)

arose62
30th April 2004, 12:56 PM
How about carrying a printout of this thread?

Or maybe the UBEAT stand could have a Visitor's Book under the counter, so a message-boarder could ask to sign it, and any other shy MB-ers could hear, and react or not (depending on the appearance of the asker)

Cheers,
Andrew

Caliban
30th April 2004, 01:22 PM
Hey Darren
I'll be there on Sunday, the local (Kempsey) woodworkers club are taking a bus, it's a six hour bus trip so I'll probably look even worse than you will. Be sure to bring your spell checker;)
Cheers
Jim
Ps your underhouse photos show that your setup ,or lack of it is nearly identical to mine:D

silentC
30th April 2004, 01:29 PM
Had the engineer in today and he told me I could excavate the whole bank, put in a retaining wall and have a workshop 9m x 14m!! Wahoo!! Now all I need is the money to do it :(

I hope you're leaving bright and early, or it will be all over by the time you get there! I'm heading up on Friday night and going home on Monday morning.

Caliban
30th April 2004, 01:42 PM
Darren
How much money did he reckon?
Big expensive steel girders?whole new subfloor?
About the show, probably a four am start, 10 till 3 at the show then another six blissful hours on the bus. At least I won't have to worry aboutdrink driving, and seeing as how I,ve passed up lots of opportunities to correct Wongo's spelling he might buy me a beer in gratitude as well;)
Will see you there, make more arrangements as it gets closer.
Cheers
Jim (ex spelling nazi:p )

silentC
30th April 2004, 01:46 PM
Jim, I'll update the Replacing Bearers and Posts thread....

Sir Stinkalot
30th April 2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Wongo
What about 11am Sunday 6th June? (Or 12am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm) at the UBeaut stand.

Hang on hang on .... how about sparing a thought for poor old Neil in all of this ..... perhaps he isn't interested in having a bunch of square eyed, smelly, old, internet time wasting woodworkers, crowding around his stand scaring away the punters. I am sure that the clientele that he is trying to attract are the dedicated woodies that spend so much time using copious amounts of consumables in their perfect workshops that they wouldn’t know that the internet existed. Now step aside you lot, after having the displeasure of bumping into a couple of forum member at last years Melbourne show, I would suggest that the best meeting place for you all will be out in the car park, well out of harms, and Neil’s way. :p

silentC
30th April 2004, 02:48 PM
a bunch of square eyed, smelly, old, internet time wasting woodworkers

Stinky,

That may well be the case down your way. We here in the north are aware of our southern cousins, who, although we look upon them fraternally, are probably best left in the car park to practice their reverse parking and 3 point turns.

The Sydney working with wood show, and the members of this forum who attend, will be a grab bag of youthful good looks, pleasant aromas, and perfect 20/20 vision.

So sledge away, cousin from the south, your words can do us no harm.

Wongo
30th April 2004, 04:35 PM
OK What about 1pm at the “show entrance” on the left. I think 1pm is good because we can have lunch together and it gives people from out of town plenty of time to get there. We should meet inside because some of us would like to get there early. It saves us the trouble to get in and out again. Deal or no deal?

And we should all carry a copy the floor plan of the show ground.

Wongo
30th April 2004, 04:46 PM
.....Just in case you don't recognise me.:cool:

craigb
30th April 2004, 05:31 PM
I'll be there on the Friday.

Is Ubeaut definitely going to be there this year?

I hope so because I need to stock up on some consumables :)

Sir Stinkalot
30th April 2004, 06:04 PM
WOW .... I hope that the floor plan shown has been cropped as it looks like just a corner of the MASSIVE Melbourne show. :eek:

silentC
30th April 2004, 11:18 PM
Relax Stinky, those are just some of the beer tents.

Caliban
1st May 2004, 08:53 PM
Wongo
How are you going to get the bike into the show so that we can recognise you, because other than the bike, all you policemen look alike to me.:D :D :D
But seriously I look forward to having lunch with as many of you "square eyed, smelly, old, internet time wasting woodworkers" as possible.
Cheers
Jim
ps Cousin Stinky, you'll keep.:D

RETIRED
2nd May 2004, 09:53 AM
As far as I am aware, U and Beaut will both be there.

multinut
2nd May 2004, 10:19 AM
i will be there
not sure what day or days yet
you will find me at the sydney woodcarvers setup
im the one with the mutinut
i hope to meet some of u there
not sure about a beer as it tends to make me have another and another and another and another and another and another
then i wake up somewhere like moore park under some bushes wondering how to get home

cheers
multinut
http://www.ubeaut.biz/crowd.gif

Grue
2nd May 2004, 11:12 AM
I'll make the Friday 1PM meeting.

Hey Wango, My Cousin John Dorsett, you may have met him at the Police training school, he ran it for a while, used to ride a BSA Bantum to work. Funniest thing you'd wish to see. Huge cop, mini bike!

Glenn

ubeaut
2nd May 2004, 06:00 PM
"U" and "Beaut" will be there on the same stand as last year and once again we will have the Doorstop with us, but first we have the Brisbane Show to take care of.

Brisbanites can find us on stand 22C, at least that's where I think we'll be, it's changed so many times that we don't know if we're coming or going.

Cheers - Neil :D

ozwinner
2nd May 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sir Stinkalot
after having the displeasure of bumping into a couple of forum member at last years Melbourne show,

Ahhum!!!:eek: :eek:

Sir Stinkalot
2nd May 2004, 09:28 PM
Ozwinner,

That meeting was pre-arranged so the shock value was reduced :D

bsrlee
2nd May 2004, 10:59 PM
I'll be there, just not sure of the day & time. With luck I'll get there by lunchtime.

I'm the one with the Ben Hur shopping trolley - depending on how long I've been there it will be overflowing with gadgets ;-)

oges
4th May 2004, 10:55 AM
I will be there on the Saturday I believe demonstrating the scrollsaw at the Central Coast Woodturners stand. No idea where we will be setup yet, should find out this Friday at our meeting. Last year we were out in the back pavilion next to the Sydney Woodcarvers.

Wongo
2nd June 2004, 10:48 AM
OK gang,

Let’s meet near the first entrance of the hall at 1pm on Sunday. The picture shows a rough sketch from last year. See you there. :) :) :)

AlexS
2nd June 2004, 02:41 PM
I'll be there Friday, I'll be the bloke with the blind mate. Say g'day to either (or both) of us. :D

craigb
2nd June 2004, 02:45 PM
I'll be there Friday, I'll be the bloke with the blind mate. Say g'day to either (or both) of us. :D

I'll be there Friday too. If I spot you and your mate I certainly will say G'day

:p