PDA

View Full Version : New Bowls

benji79
11th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Hi guys

Finally got to the lathe after some big months of work and managed to make a few crissy presents. one day ill actually keep some thing i make...:rolleyes:

The bigest one is Purple Heart (if you couldnt guess), the next is Figured Mahogany and the last one is Flame Rosewwod.

Should keep a few people happy this Chrissy.

Cheers

Benji

robutacion
11th December 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm sure someone will be happy with any on those. I like the colour of the purple heart, I've never touched or turned such a timber. I also particularly like the finish, what is it? if you don't mind me asking...!:roll:

I can see 2 possible reasons, for your predicament, you either have too many friends, or you are not turning enough!. Having a good idea what your answer is going to be, I will suggest in "advance", get back on the lathe...!:D

Your work is very good!:2tsup:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ad de Crom
11th December 2008, 08:12 PM
Benji, Nice flowing curves, my favorite the big one, gorgeous wood.
For sure this will make some people happy with Christmas.
Very well done.
Ad :2tsup:

Robomanic
11th December 2008, 08:32 PM
I agree, very nice. Great shape to show off very pretty wood.

artme
11th December 2008, 09:52 PM
Very nice work and a great finish benji.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You've done very well to keep the shape simple and pleasing to show off the grain.

orificiam
11th December 2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Benji beautiful finished Bowls Simple but elegant Shape- love the figured mahogany
some one is going to have a very happy Xmass.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
11th December 2008, 10:39 PM
Good work Benji:2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
12th December 2008, 08:56 AM
When I first opened this thread and the photos stared to open I thought that you had painted a bowl purple, but on closer look and reading your post I now know that is some nice timber.
I have never seen or turned purple heart, is it grown in oz or is it imported timber?

Very nice job all round I like the shape of your bowl well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th December 2008, 01:10 PM
Rum Pig ...purple heart grows in South America. When first cut it is that vivid purple, but it gradually turns to a purpulish-brown.:C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2008, 01:15 PM
Rum Pig ...purple heart grows in South America. When first cut it is that vivid purple, but it gradually turns to a purpulish-brown.:C

All the pieces I've had are a nutmeggy colour when cut, and need a bit of UV to bring out the purple. Excess UV and/or overheating while finishing turn it that muddy purple-brown. And time, of course.

Wish it'd stay that lovely colour, but... :shrug:

Harry72
12th December 2008, 01:43 PM
Hey Skew make a crapiarta one and pour in some beetroot juice!

Nice work Benji.

rsser
12th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Great bowls.

Keep it up.

All my family and friends have bowls, pencil jars and pepper grinders off my lathe. They seemed happy to receive them. Mebbe they were just being polite.

Ed Reiss
13th December 2008, 02:00 AM
All the pieces I've had are a nutmeggy colour when cut, and need a bit of UV to bring out the purple. Excess UV and/or overheating while finishing turn it that muddy purple-brown. And time, of course.

Wish it'd stay that lovely colour, but... :shrug:

Hmmmmm...thats interesting Skew, never had any that required a UV treatment to achieve the color to begin with. It's possible that we got PH from a different region of south america....it ranges from Mexico all the way down to Chile.

robutacion
13th December 2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I'm very curious also about the purple heart timber, and a quick searck on the subject, "flooded" me with all these possible species, wow..!
Now, I'm tottaly confused...!:?:D

Peltogyne altissima Ducke
Peltogyne angustiflora Ducke
Peltogyne campestris Ducke
Peltogyne catingae Ducke
Peltogyne confertiflora (Hayne) Benth.
Peltogyne discolor Vogel
Peltogyne excelsa Ducke
Peltogyne floribunda (Kunth) Pittier
Peltogyne gracilipes Ducke
Peltogyne heterophylla M.F.Silva
Peltogyne lecointei Ducke
Peltogyne maranhensis Ducke
Peltogyne mattosiana Rizzini
Peltogyne mexicana Martinez
Peltogyne paniculata Benth.
Peltogyne paradoxa Ducke
Peltogyne parvifolia Benth.
Peltogyne pauciflora Benth.
Peltogyne prancei M.F.Silva
Peltogyne purpurea Pittier
Peltogyne recifensis Ducke
Peltogyne subsessilis W.A.Rodrigues
Peltogyne venosa (M.Vahl) Benth.

Pine and beetroot, huh?:o I shall try...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2008, 03:22 PM
Hmmm... all I know is that I source most of my Purpleheart in the form of decking boards. :-

'Tis a bit small (70x19mm & reeded) but at well under Oz$10 per metre it's far, far cheaper than buying 'raw' stock.

I still find it hard to believe that people make decks out of it... what's next? Wollemi Pine?

Gil Jones
13th December 2008, 03:29 PM
Nice fluid curves, Benji, fine colors and smooth finish too:2tsup:
Darn fine bowls!

rsser
13th December 2008, 03:30 PM
Believe or not, you can get Wollemi Pine seedlings in nurseries now.

An investment in your old age ;-}

benji79
13th December 2008, 06:17 PM
thanks for the great comments guys. I hav another purple heart bowl I turned about 3 mths ago and its still realy purple, it must be a gradual reduction in colour over a number of years.

The bowls are finished in Shellawax, gotta love it. Thanks Neil...:2tsup:

Benji