PDA

View Full Version : Expanding foam

ozwinner
29th April 2004, 05:15 PM
Hello Gentlemens.

Here is an idea I have in my head.......................
I need to sound insulate between two bedrooms that are already there.
The walls have plaster board on them leaveing a 100mm cavity.
Two thoughts come to mind, rip off the plaster, install the insulation, then replaster, or..............putting in expanding foam that comes in a pressure can.
You know the stuff, Space Invader and the like.
I could drill a series of holes and squart in the foam.
I saw a simular thing done in England to insulate the cavity in brickwork.
You drill holes up the wall and inject the foam from the bottom
( bottom of the wall, you weirdos ), once the foam reaches the next row of holes you stop, when it is dry/set you continue.
Now the things I need to know.
Is the expanded foam flamable when set?
Which in your opion is the easiest?
Was Michael Jackson realy married to the Presley Kid, if so, WHY?
I also thought of putting a second skin of plaster board on the wall, will that help?
The only reason I am thinking of doing this, is because my son is on the computer in the next room and I can hear him pounding away at the keys, yes, he has a soft touch key board.
Oh and now he has a girl stay over now and again, also pounding away.

Cheers, Al

Bob Willson
29th April 2004, 05:32 PM
I worked for an engineering firm that used foam to insulate refrigeration coils. The stuff they used came as a two part mix and would certainly have been much cheaper than buying little cans of foam. (These cans are horrendously expensive)

You will also need to be certain that the walls are well anchored as the foam exerts a considerable amount of pressue. It also becomes quite hot whilst the chemical processes are taking place.

Yes, it is still flammable, even when set.

The second skin will certainly help, but not nearly as much as the foam. The second skin would also benefit considerably from having a second air space to add extra insulation. ie fixed to more battens rather than straight on to the existing wall.

Maybe putting the skin of plaster over your son would be the best way to achieve peace and quiet. :)

echnidna
29th April 2004, 05:53 PM
Al,
You will probably end up with distorted plasterboard because of the pressure the foam creates. It is very hard to control. One mistake and you have a big job to fix it.

You could drill holes and pour bean-bag beans into the cavity thru a funnel. You would then have a few smallish holes to patch up.
You would need to have a hole between each pair of studs above and below the row of noggins.

If you go with the canned foam just use a real little bit at a time.

jackiew
29th April 2004, 06:16 PM
You can get some ideas from ... obviously they are pushing their own products

http://www.acoustop.com

http://www.insulationsolutions.com.au

http://www.jameshardie.com.au/buildingproducts/brochures_sub.asp?id=17

you have to ask yourself whether the foam is going to give out any gasses which are going to make you sick. Foam insulation ( for heat not noise ) in the uk got a really bad reputation. Plus if you spray it in you can't really guarantee how good the coverage is ... ok it comes out of the line of holes but are there going to be gaps that you can't see ... plus as already pointed out the stuff puts out quite a bit of pressure and from my own experience the wretched stuff keeps on expanding well past the point when you expected it to stop :-( And you might need to do a bit of experimentation ... just cos it fills gaps will it actually deaden the noise ... you don't want to spend a fortune on the stuff only to find it doesn't work.

The other thing to be aware of is that sound doesn't travel just through the walls ... if you've got a wooden floor with a space underneath, or a roof space over, or a shared chimney breast between the rooms then sound will travel that way as well.

You could always encourage him to stay round the girlfriends instead.

btw Al some of us aren't gentlemens ( and I suspect some of the men aren't either :D :D )

ozwinner
29th April 2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by jackiew

btw Al some of us aren't gentlemens ( and I suspect some of the men aren't either :D :D )

Yeah I know, :D
I was doing Con the fruiter.
Hello Gentlemens, and how are you today?
From the Skitshow.

Cheers, Mrs Doughtfire

jackiew
29th April 2004, 06:31 PM
... and yet another cultural reference passes straight over my head without being recognised ... :confused:

ozwinner
29th April 2004, 06:42 PM
It was a comedy show with this fake Greek fruiter, called, funnily enough Con. His opening line was................. Hello Gentlemens and how are you today, in this realy fake accent.
Everyone was a gentlemens.

Give it time Jackie, it gets easier with time, Ive been here mmmmmmmm, bloody hell, well the last time I lived in Manchester was in 1980.
Time flys when your haveing fun.:D

Cheers, Al the Mancuniun. :)

q9
29th April 2004, 08:24 PM
Install a one way mirror in the wall instead. I bet all late night noise stops thereafter.

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2004, 10:13 PM
G'day.

Cheap way out... chuck son out...

If he won't go, knock the wall down, then you yell at him everytime he turns on the light or makes a noise.... he'll leave.

journeyman Mick
29th April 2004, 10:36 PM
Al,
The expanda foam is an expensive option and if you go for the two pack mix will be slightly cheaper but a whole lot messier. I believe that loose polystyrene beads (bean bag filling) would work better anyway as the particles are not firmly bonded, making a less continuous path for vibration to travel through. If you want to go to the trouble and expense of extra sheeting I would suggest a second wall built 10mm in front of the existing. From memory I think there is a plasterboard available which is specifically for sound control.

Mick

MrFixIt
30th April 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ozwinner
I need to sound insulate between two bedrooms that are already there.
The walls have plaster board on them leaveing a 100mm cavity.
Two thoughts come to mind, rip off the plaster, install the insulation, then replaster, or..............putting in expanding foam that comes in a pressure can.

Hi Al

How about, as a third thought? contact one of the local blow-in ceiling insulation companies and have them come and blow-in some of the material they use in the ceiling.

We had it done in the ceiling of our rental property and when I went to check the quality of their work, talking in the roof space was like talking in a soundproof room.

Oops, I was assumimg here that there were TWO walls, On re-reading your message I see that you mean ONE (dividing) wall that is a timber frame wall. Hmmm? Well it (the blow in stuff) still could work, though the application may be a little difficult. A few small (well medium?) holes toward the top of each "cavity" created by the studs and nogins?

Another alternative that could work sufficiently well for you, would be to apply some "carpet" type material or partition material on the boys side of the wall.

Note! Too good a job of soundproofing may cause the boy to start pounding the girl instead of the keyboard :D

Regards

Peter

ivanavitch
30th April 2004, 12:46 AM
If there is anything more embarassing than a mother hearing her son go for it in the next room.. it's a son hearing his mother.

Explain the birds and the bees. When little birds are ready to nest, they get their own nest. A beehive has only one queen.

John Scott

soundman
3rd May 2004, 11:27 PM
Moove him into the garden shed & call it the love shack!!!!

gemi_babe
27th July 2004, 02:34 PM
Hi Al,

I was wondering if you have had a result with your question?

I have been thinking about ripping off the fibro sheeting in my bathroom to insulate, but if you have a solution that has worked, I'm keen to hear it.

cheers,
Gemi

ozwinner
27th July 2004, 05:25 PM
Hi

I was talking to a sound insulation expert, and he suggested another skin of plasterboard is as good as sound proofing as you can expect to get.
So I have done nothing at this stage.

Al

Ivan in Oz
27th July 2004, 05:44 PM
Moove him into the garden shed & call it the love shack!!!!

B52's.........?

Count

Barry_White
27th July 2004, 06:14 PM
If you go for the blow in insulation option use Bradfoerd Insulations granulated rock wool insulation. It is better for sound insulation.

Don't use cellelous fibre. It is just chopped up newspaper and is treated with borax which leaches out and it becomes highly inflammable.

bsrlee
27th July 2004, 06:51 PM
Go with the plaster job, even if you rip the existing stuff off & replace it.

All the foams break down with time - the cans last a few years, the 2-part stuff lasts longer - say 10-15 years - but it too collapses eventually. And it burns, which doesn't kill you - but the fumes it gives off while burning do!

Tonyz
27th July 2004, 11:36 PM
there is a plasterboard used just for soundproofing. Id phone my soninlaw [hes a giprocker but I'll bet he's making the same noises ...hells bells so should I istead of being here 25 years married to this crazy bird who wants to share MY bed each nite
Tonto

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2004, 11:59 PM
... 25 years married to this crazy bird who wants to share MY bed each nite ....

Yeah but isn't it amazing their idea of 'share' :rolleyes:
IE: not 50:50, more like 75:25 or 80:20 even if it's cold.
The cold nights aren't too bad, til you get pushed out of bed....
The hot nights are a different story...
One hot night, I got up, took my pillow & walked around the bed &
got in the other side. I got a good night's sleep after that. :D

jackiew
28th July 2004, 09:49 AM
cliff,

we DO understand sharing ..."whats yours is mine and what's mines me own" ... works for me :D

I have this vague recollection that the marriage ceremony talks about the guy endowing her with all his worldly goods ... fortunately we now get to scrub the bit about her obeying :D

scooter
28th July 2004, 09:23 PM
I think the plasterboard mentioned is CSR Soundchek.

As mentioned, it may be worth trying more soft furnishings in the room (king size bed anyone? :eek: ) such as a wall hanging or partition between the computer desk and the adjoining wall. Also a pad under the keyboard may help if the sound is resonating through the desk. Unsure if a pad may help under the bed... :confused: :p

Cheers....Sean