PDA

View Full Version : Update on Turnings

Seventh Wood
12th December 2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Guys,

All the good stuff that others are turning has prompted me to update on my recent turning and woodwork. A a semiretiree, I should have more time for this but I seem to have been too busy to spend as much time with the toys and the lathe as I want to, what with part time work and a busy program of works (still haven't completed organising my double lock-up blokey space).

I have been trying a range of stuff - I was inspired to try my first boxes after sitting through three of Richard Raffan's tutorials at the Adelaide TWWW show and getting his box turning video. I have also gone back to some centrework with meat dongers and chisel handles, plus some rough turning of box and bowl blanks.

I scored two 3 m red gum slabs at a recent auction - the figure showed even through the accumulation of dust and even though I want to make some chunky red gum furniture, I have cut up some for bowl blanks. So far I have turned a number of bowls to 250 mm and made up bottle coasters and chopping boards, etc with the balance. At 50 mm thick they are all shallow bowls and I am keen to turn a 400 mm blank - the biggest I can do without going outboard.

I have used a variety of timbers - ash, sheoak, red gum, SA blue gum, blackwood and Aussie oak, plus some mystery timbers. I will follow up with detail on some of the turnings.

Geuss what the family will be getting for Xmas?

tea lady
12th December 2008, 09:06 AM
Very nice little bunch of assorted things, :cool: (That wine bottle coaster gives me an idea for a few friends pressies.:2tsup:)

orificiam
12th December 2008, 01:05 PM
Very nice turns there S/W nice texture in the wood amazing the colour you find under the dust.Love the lidded boxes,do they pop when opened? Keep on turning.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
12th December 2008, 01:14 PM
:2tsup:Good turnings SW. You've definitely got a feel for proportion and detail in the turnings.

artme
13th December 2008, 12:40 AM
Very neat and ecclectic selection of Quality work SW!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
14th December 2008, 12:27 AM
Very nice samples of your work, Seventh. I'm not sure the chopping boards would survive in my shop - I favour plastique for chopping boards, and they'd look tempting for some segment blanks. When/if, of course.:D

Joe