PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum Bowls

Seventh Wood
12th December 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi, guys,

I have sacrificed part of a red gum slab (one of two 3000 mm X 500 mm X 50 mm bought at a recent Adelaide auction) for turning blanks and wood for chopping boards, etc and have made up a few red gum bowls. The figure showed thorough the dust at the auction and I am quite pleased at how it has turned out in the bowls, etc.

The biggest bowl is 250 mm, with the smaller bowls at 125 mm and 150 mm. I still need to reverse turn the foot of the bigger bowl, but have yet to get my 130 mm jaws with large-diameter wooden jaws operational. One ot the smaller bowls was turned with 50 mm expanding jaws on a very small rim, with a domed hollow in the base, while the other was sized for gripping with contracting 50 mm jaws.

The coaster is 125 mm, sized to suite the largest bubble bottles (currently Bleasdale Sparkling Shiraz). I have done a matching wine stopper in red gum, with the beads matching the beading on the coaster. I have also used strips of the red gum for chopping boards - it tends to tear a bit through the thicknesser but looks good on the finished product.

Cheers,

Geoff (7th Wood from 7Hill)

rsser
12th December 2008, 12:06 PM
Lovely figure there.

Post some side-on pics so we can see the lines of the walls?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2008, 01:45 PM
Mmmm-Mmm! I do like that figure!

Good choice of simple forms to show it off, too. :;

Ad de Crom
12th December 2008, 08:52 PM
All I can say, really stunning pieces of work.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
12th December 2008, 10:52 PM
Have to agree with all the above.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
12th December 2008, 11:52 PM
Nice looking pieces Geoff - the design works well with that figure:2tsup:. (S'pose at least some eucalypts have some redeeming features eh!:;)

madcraft
13th December 2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Geoff

Nice use of the redgum :2tsup:, just out of interest , what sort of Lathe are you using ?:?

steck
13th December 2008, 11:38 AM
Nice work! Lot's of accolades to you!
I love the figure in the redgum.
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Thanks for sharing

Gil Jones
13th December 2008, 03:37 PM
Very well done bowls, and I like the beads on the stopper too.
The shape of the bowls reminds me of rice bowls in Japan (1962-64).

munruben
13th December 2008, 10:58 PM
Terrific. looks great.:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
14th December 2008, 05:35 AM
Good work Geoff!:2tsup:

Seventh Wood
14th December 2008, 11:23 AM
Gidday guys,

Thanks for the flattery - I must do more bowls with nice figure!

I think that more of the slabs may end up as bowls and platters - but the 50 mm thickness limits the range of styles. I want to do some nesting bowls (like Robert Chapman's style) and some big platters, and do a big offboard one some time. The red gum turned beautifully with both gouges and scrapers, but still has some surface texture even after fine scraping. With but with the twisted grain, it is not surprising.

My side shots of the bowls were crappy but as requested, I have included two - one of the small bowls and the big one, I intend to reverse chuck the big one to give a single flowing line to the base (but SWMOB says she likes it as it is).

I am using a Teknatool 1624-44 as pictured ( the last one delivered before MIK in Adelaide went under - that was close) adn can do up to 400 mm. I normally use the 22.5 degree off-centre position for bowl turning as it gives much better freedom of chisel/scraper movement, and I can normally leave the tailstock on.

Cheers,

Geoff (7th Wood)

Rum Pig
15th December 2008, 09:14 AM
Nice figure I really like the coaster and bottle stop set
well done :2tsup::2tsup: