PDA

View Full Version : wood alert

turnerted
13th December 2008, 04:27 PM
On the ABC's Sydney gardening program this morning , a listener rang in asking for advice on taking cuttings from an old olive tree which is about to be removed from Macquarie University grounds. If anyone lives near there , it may be worth chaseing this up .
Olive is not only a joy to turn , it looks great , and it even smells good when you are turning it .
Ted

rsser
13th December 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Ted.

Wish I were closer to Sin city.

munruben
13th December 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, too far for me too. :(

joe greiner
14th December 2008, 01:43 AM
Just a little too far for me too, but thanks for posting anyway.:D

Joe

Ed Reiss
14th December 2008, 05:46 AM
:wts: :doh: :C:C

wheelinround
14th December 2008, 11:47 AM
TY Close for me but not going to get there today thats out. :doh:

Sawdust Maker
14th December 2008, 07:27 PM
Hmmm

Pat
14th December 2008, 07:51 PM
How much did you score?

Sawdust Maker
15th December 2008, 05:46 PM
None yet. The hmmm was: "I'm on school hols leave this week and could go have a gander"
Went this arvo - tree still standing. Might come down this week. I've the site manager's number and will be calling tomorrow.
Not a big tree but might get a bit out of it if I'm lucky. Apparently has some historical significance.

wheelinround
15th December 2008, 05:50 PM
:D Need a trailer SM of course I'd deliver it

to my place:roll:

Sawdust Maker
20th December 2008, 08:47 AM
Rang the Uni, got put through to a lovely young lady who checked with the grounds person and then told me where it was. I went and had a look and got roused on by a Uni employee about parking (too young to be that grumpy).
Managed to get in contact with the site manager. He told me when it was expected to come down and would get some put aside for me.
I went and had a look and found three characters with orange ear muffs. Had a yarn to them. The tree had been marked for me with the bits they thought I might like (presumably by the site manager) I commented that a crotch might also be nice.
Anyway when I went back later this was waiting for me. Six pieces the smallest about 8" diameter and all about 20" long. I'll slice them up today and seal the ends. wheelinround and Pat, if you're lucky, I might even save you a bit, for our next jarrah fest!

PS: turnerted, thanks for your original post

corbs
20th December 2008, 09:04 AM
Nice score and save SM... looks like there is some nice colour in the logs and Olive is great to work with:2tsup:

wheelinround
20th December 2008, 09:35 AM
Rang the Uni, got put through to a lovely young lady who checked with the grounds person and then told me where it was. I went and had a look and got roused on by a Uni employee about parking (too young to be that grumpy).
Managed to get in contact with the site manager. He told me when it was expected to come down and would get some put aside for me.
I went and had a look and found three characters with orange ear muffs. Had a yarn to them. The tree had been marked for me with the bits they thought I might like (presumably by the site manager) I commented that a crotch might also be nice.
Anyway when I went back later this was waiting for me. Six pieces the smallest about 8" diameter and all about 20" long. I'll slice them up today and seal the ends. wheelinround and Pat, if you're lucky, I might even save you a bit, for our next jarrah fest!

PS: turnerted, thanks for your original post

Nick great score would love some of course :D will have to keep an eye out for some nice wood to swap for it.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
20th December 2008, 12:44 PM
SM...don't forget to make a bowl for the site manager!!:cool:

Great lookin' wood....should get some really nice bowls:2tsup:

Pat
20th December 2008, 12:50 PM
Hello Nick. Good looking Olive. I would like to swap some at the next gtg, whenever that'll be.

prozac
20th December 2008, 02:51 PM
Keen ears, well "spotted" turneted. Excellent score SM, and nicely cut up for you too! Turneted should be in for a spotters fee log.

turnerted
20th December 2008, 03:56 PM
Sawdust Maker
Looks like you got a good haul there . I was lucky enough to get some about six months from a tree growing next door to me and there are three more available for when I want to cut them down . Glan to be of service .Happy turning .
Ted

Sawdust Maker
20th December 2008, 09:19 PM
SM...don't forget to make a bowl for the site manager!!:cool:

Great lookin' wood....should get some really nice bowls:2tsup:

Yep I've kept his name and number and made a note to give him a call in about 15 months. I'll turn one or two wet in the new year and finish them in 2010 and call him then (should be a pleasant surprise) gotta love electronic diaries!

wheelinround
21st December 2008, 09:09 AM
Yep I've kept his name and number and made a note to give him a call in about 15 months. I'll turn one or two wet in the new year and finish them in 2010 and call him then (should be a pleasant surprise) gotta love electronic diaries!

Till the batteries die on you :((:doh:

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2008, 08:38 PM
Annoyed the neighbours today :D dusted off the chainsaw and cut up the olive
Um nice timber

Pat
21st December 2008, 08:50 PM
Fair bit of colour in the heartwood. Good score.

wheelinround
21st December 2008, 10:16 PM
:aro-u: same comment

heaps of sealer Nick