PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Aussie heritage

LiliB
13th December 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Fellow toymakers

I felt obliged to share this photo with you. It was in our local paper this week, and I think it's a beauty. I showed it to Dave and asked him if he could modify a truck design to use the idea. And then he totally bushed me with the comment' "I need an old style sugar bag for the bales" Crickey, I'm a city sheila, and wouldn't know a sugar bag if I fell over one.

Anyone got a spare sugar bag?

Cheers
Lili
:U:U:U

Wood Borer
13th December 2008, 04:56 PM
Fine hessian could be used to sew up something resembling a wool bale.

HazzaB
13th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Hey lil,

Calico, would be our choice for Wool Bales, what scale are you talking about, sugar bags are made of calico, most of the craft shops would be able to help, they have them in the cities.:q I have been told.

HazzaB

AlexS
13th December 2008, 06:40 PM
Most fabric shops sell light weight hessian.

AUSSIE
13th December 2008, 06:46 PM
Hey lil,

Calico, would be our choice for Wool Bales, what scale are you talking about, sugar bags are made of calico, most of the craft shops would be able to help, they have them in the cities.:q I have been told.

HazzaB
Yeh I have some old ones somewhere.They are Calico.Dont cut up old sugar bags if you get them.We have kept them because of the branding on them.Not sure how old they are,but over 60 years old

AUSSIE
13th December 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey lil,

HazzaB
Hazza
You make it sound like you live far far away from a city.I was in Mandurah less than a month ago.Very nice place with a good assortment of shops etc.Even a little old church with grave sites around it in the middle of the shopping centre.
We loved your town.Some friends are going to stay there in a month or so.
Also you have the new fantastic rail system to Perth (it runs down the centre of the highway passing the cars at a great rate)I think it was $6.60 for a day pass on the rail.
!/2 hr to Perth approx.
Aussie

LiliB
13th December 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions about the calico. I'm surprised no one has commented on the truck as a model for an authentic aussie style model. I think it's a boomer, and it inspired me straight away.

Lili

AUSSIE
13th December 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions about the calico. I'm surprised no one has commented on the truck as a model for an authentic aussie style model. I think it's a boomer, and it inspired me straight away.

Lili
Lilli
I have been going through old photos looking for my grandfathers trucks.He started with horse and carts,then graduated to the type in your photo.When I find one I will post one on this site .My father also owned trucks and I remember being in the woolstores while they loaded bails by hand.I still have a couple of wool bail hooks they used
Ross

artme
14th December 2008, 06:27 AM
Love those old beasts. When I was out in Western NSW several properties had vehicles of that vintage in working order. Mostly used for rabbit shooting expeditions.

There are plenty of rusting hulks out there just awaiting some TLC.

LiliB
14th December 2008, 10:14 AM
Hi all

I love em too. I've been on Google Image to try and establish what model this one is, late T Model or early A. I'm inclined to late T Model. Any opinions from the experts?

Would love to see old photos. I'm a history buff and love those aspects of Australian living that are almost gone, except for the bush. Even Australian vernacular is almost dead in the city, and its such a shame, because it is such a colourful and amusing language.

Cheers
LiliB

wheelinround
14th December 2008, 11:59 AM
sorry about crappy photo's taken many years ago at Vintage museum I was at :2tsup:

Museum was owned and opperated by George Green son of T.W Green Wool Brokers

LiliB
14th December 2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Wheelin

Photos are great. In just a short hour or two, I have a good impression of what went into vintage trucks. I'm an authenticity nut, and so I have to know all the ins and outs of something. One thing I have realized is that coach building meant that bodies varied enormously in trucks, especially from the cabin back.

Dave being a mechanic, knows all the mechanical details, but not necessarily the specifics of each model. So I'll be building up a little 'library' of suitable pictures to focus on the authentic fixtures and fittings. I did a search of wooden spoke wheels this morning, and we have a beaut close-up of a proper vintage wheel to suit the wool truck in my photo.

Cheers
Lili
:U:U

wheelinround
14th December 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Wheelin

Photos are great. In just a short hour or two, I have a good impression of what went into vintage trucks. I'm an authenticity nut, and so I have to know all the ins and outs of something. One thing I have realized is that coach building meant that bodies varied enormously in trucks, especially from the cabin back.

Dave being a mechanic, knows all the mechanical details, but not necessarily the specifics of each model. So I'll be building up a little 'library' of suitable pictures to focus on the authentic fixtures and fittings. I did a search of wooden spoke wheels this morning, and we have a beaut close-up of a proper vintage wheel to suit the wool truck in my photo.

Cheers
Lili
:U:U

Even some of the cabins were different if different coach builders had built them :roll:

:2tsup:

AUSSIE
14th December 2008, 02:50 PM
Could only find one pic,and a very bad one of grandfathers truck.Sorry about that.:no:

LiliB
14th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Hi Aussie
Lovely one.

I have a few photos like yours, tired and cracked. I have scanned them into my computer and used Photoshop Elements to correct them. Amazing how well they have turned out, and cracks are fairly easy to remove, even for a complete newcomer like me.

Cheers
Lili

fletty
14th December 2008, 04:01 PM
Lili, I presume you're talking about making a model of one of these old warhorses?
If so, calico soaked for a while in black tea gives a good scale representation of full sized hessian. Soak different pieces for different times and it gives a variation from bale to bale.
Fletty

LiliB
14th December 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Fletty

You must be a mind-reader. I was actually thinking of trying the 'soak in tea' process for calico, which seems too creamy for authenticity. Sounds like you know it works.

Lili

fletty
15th December 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks Fletty

You must be a mind-reader. I was actually thinking of trying the 'soak in tea' process for calico, which seems too creamy for authenticity. Sounds like you know it works.

Lili

It's an old trick used by model ship makers for sails and also gives scale stiffness that looks realistic for model tents. I hope it works for you .. and we see the pics.
Fletty