PDA

View Full Version : French polishing crazing. Aaarghh!!!

JoelVDM
13th December 2008, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a french polished piece. I finished the bodying-up stage yesterday, and after stiffing off was very happy with the surface. However, I went to start spiriting off today and noticed that the surface has a slightly crazed look, that seems to have appeared overnight. Its only noticable when the reflection is viewed on a shallow angle.

Has anyone had any experience with this hurdle and how I would go about correcting it/avoiding it?

Many thanks,
Joel.

q9
23rd December 2008, 02:18 AM
Too much oil in the wood. As it dries out it cracks the surface. Let it dry for a week or so, and then rub it down with steel wool, then apply a mix of shellac/alcohol - give it a few coats to fill and seal. Then do your polish again, but remember to use the least amount of oil possible to reduce drag.

jerryc
27th December 2008, 12:05 PM
Joel,

It may so obvious and therefore something you have already throught of. Sometimes crazing can be because of a slightly too thick application. As the meths evaporate, the shellac contracts too quickly. If that is the case then a simple pullover with a straight meths rubber is all that would be neded.

Jerry