PDA

View Full Version : Table Lamps

orificiam
13th December 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone I starded these lamps about 4 months back when on my way home one day I came across some logs left on the nature strip by some nasty person so I did
my duty as a good citizen and helped by taking some logs home,..having been inspired
by one of our forumites "Ad de Crom" some time ago when he turned a wooden lamp
shade. Thanks Ad. I proceeded to turn some lamps, I started with the shades
I mounted the log on the lathe and with the parting tool cut the shades about 10mm
thick and left them on the shelf for 4 months until dry.Then I cut the rest of the log and segmented for the Base, 4 months later remounted the shades with "hot melt glue"
and very gently with very sharp tools finished turning to 4mm thick.photo 1
now that they're finished I'm not to sure about the shade. :? I think that if I was to do it again I'd make the top of shade a bit smaller.What do you think?
Cheers Tony.:)

AUSSIE
13th December 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone I starded these lamps about 4 months back when on my way home one day I came across some logs left on the nature strip by some nasty person so I did
my duty as a good citizen and helped by taking some logs home,..having been inspired
by one of our forumites "Ad de Crom" some time ago when he turned a wooden lamp
shade. Thanks Ad. I proceeded to turn some lamps, I started with the shades
I mounted the log on the lathe and with the parting tool cut the shades about 10mm
thick and left them on the shelf for 4 months until dry.Then I cut the rest of the log and segmented for the Base, 4 months later remounted the shades with "hot melt glue"
and very gently with very sharp tools finished turning to 4mm thick.photo 1
now that they're finished I'm not to sure about the shade. :? I think that if I was to do it again I'd make the top of shade a bit smaller.What do you think?
Tony
I know nothing about turning,but the shape is great as is the finish
I think you have got IT.:2tsup:

orificiam
13th December 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks Aussie, I'm happy with most of it- just the shades that I'm not 100% happy with.

masoth
13th December 2008, 09:33 PM
Yes and no!!!
Each time I look I change my mind. Actually, I reckon they are probably right - any more of a conical shape might unbalance the overall shape.
Nice work.

soth

artme
13th December 2008, 10:21 PM
I've seen some ugly lamps in my time but these are not amongst them.

They look pretty good to me, and they are that little bit different.

munruben
13th December 2008, 10:52 PM
I agree, really nice work.:2tsup:

derekcohen
13th December 2008, 11:02 PM
Hi Tony

Beautiful work. One day ...

With regard size, my preference would be to make the shades larger. About 50% larger vertically and horoizontally.

Keep in mind that I like contrasts. What I see is too much uniformity. As a result, I'd probably also consider a darker wash/stain for either the base or the shade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ed Reiss
14th December 2008, 05:38 AM
Good work Tony!:2tsup:

No, the shades are in balance with the bases.

Gonna' try for 1mm next time?

Ad de Crom
14th December 2008, 06:13 AM
Very very good Tony.
Nice work huh turning shades, quite a challenge.
Well balanced with the foot.
To get this shades translucent the wallthickness has to be 1,5mm - 2mm, if possible thinner.
I prefer to turn the shade wet, at least if the pit is in the middle.
Else I turn them rough like you did, and let them dry for a couple of weeks.
Than I turn first the inside with a hollowing rig and multifacenet scraper, and than step by step the outside as thin as I dare.
Keep em going!!
Ad :2tsup:

orificiam
14th December 2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the positive coments guys,

Hi Ed 1mm? Mmmmmmmm---- I Might maybe 2mm had a bit of trouble with flex and
had to stiffen from inside with stiks "photo 1."

Hi Ad thanks for the coments and inspiration, I did turned them green but was woried about shrinkage and cracking so left them to dry for a few months, but next time I'll try to finish them green.

joe greiner
14th December 2008, 09:50 PM
I think they look great, Tony.:2tsup:

IIRC, the only way I've turned that thin (~1-2mm) has been accidentally, just before it becomes a donut or a funnel. If I were to actually try a lampshade, I think I'd be sanding both the inside and the outside simultaneously. Is that a worthwhile theory, Ad? My lathe's normal minimum speed is 600rpm. Next step down is 5rpm, with an auxiliary rotisserie drive. Next lower is zero, of course.

Joe

andy121
23rd June 2012, 07:27 AM
I agree Really very good work

Thanks
Lilindo

orificiam
23rd June 2012, 08:31 AM
I agree Really very good work

Thanks
Lilindo

Thank you Lilindo, very kind.